• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #1
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Hi, do you think this Hulk #1 should be graded or sold uncertified? It was in a picture frame for many years. The front cover has fading and chipping on the edges. There is a piece of old tape inside cover holding one of the chips in place, but I can't see any more restoration, but I am not an expert. What do you guys think and what would you estimate as a price for? I would love your opinions.

Thanks!

hulkInteriorCover.thumb.jpg.b82cef19faad1d0cd02a2a9306e4ada9.jpg

Hulk1F.thumb.jpg.1895f5a3d2898be731ab06c60d6b9955.jpgHulk1B.thumb.jpg.9dda8447df8c9fb0d666144d5578ae12.jpgHulk1I.thumb.jpg.1f3ce681f460686ccd949683dd0717d1.jpg

Edited by TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector
Added a photo of interior cover.

1 hour ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Hi, do you think this Hulk #1 should be graded or sold uncertified? It was in a picture frame for many years. The front cover has fading and chipping on the edges. I can't see any restoration, but not an expert. What do you guys think and what would you estimate as a price for? I would love your opinions.

Thanks!

Hulk1F.thumb.jpg.1895f5a3d2898be731ab06c60d6b9955.jpgHulk1B.thumb.jpg.9dda8447df8c9fb0d666144d5578ae12.jpgHulk1I.thumb.jpg.1f3ce681f460686ccd949683dd0717d1.jpg

3.0 should fetch between 8k to 10k

51 minutes ago, DT0428 said:

3.0 should fetch between 8k to 10k

This will bring more. The spine and back cover can be considered outstanding for a technically low grade book. Great back cover, staple seating and spine structure, nice, fresh paper, this will be bought by a collector whose taste is not badly compromised by chips and abides by chips being a grade lowering factor rather than serious structural flaws. There is some slight fade here too, but I can see this grading 3.5 and fetching in the $12,000 range once the bidders get a look at how solid a copy this is as evident from the back cover! 

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

This will bring more. The spine and back cover can be considered outstanding for a technically low grade book. Great back cover, staple seating and spine structure, nice, fresh paper, this will be bought by a collector whose taste is not badly compromised by chips and abides by chips being a grade lowering factor rather than serious structural flaws. There is some slight fade here too, but I can see this grading 3.5 and fetching in the $12,000 range once the bidders get a look at how solid a copy this is as evident from the back cover! 

Comparing it to Heritage copy that sold under 9k. https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-1-marvel-1962-cgc-gd-vg-30-white-pages/a/122003-15355.s# Doesn't look too different.  If graded at a 3.5 could def be close to 12k.  Hulk 1 price still has legs to grow.  It is rare

I'll go with the consensus at 3.0.

Perhaps look at other shipping companies to see what their max insurance is.  You could also look for local comic store that submit to CGC for customers. 

I think there's also a collectible insurance company, if you have more books like this perhaps it's worth looking into.

17 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Thank you so much James, it is just so hard trying to understand the rates of CGC and where to send it. I worry about the mailing of it and know that the Post Office caps $5,000 for their insurance.

Registered mail. Up to a $25,000 cap for insurance for only about $50 for the whole parcel, insurance and all.

17 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I'll go with the consensus at 3.0.

Perhaps look at other shipping companies to see what their max insurance is.  You could also look for local comic store that submit to CGC for customers. 

I think there's also a collectible insurance company, if you have more books like this perhaps it's worth looking into.

Registered mail. Insurable up to $25,000.

I think 3.0 would be a tough grade for this book. The main concern for me is the chipping, and CGC can be pretty lenient on that particular flaw. The fading on the front cover isn't that severe and the book appears very solid otherwise. 

I'd say at least a 3.5 with a shot at 4.0...

I saw your listing on the boards and it brought me to here to see if anyone has talked about the circle which I am not sure what it is but that looks a bit off to me specially since on the inside cover you can see the light through it? I am guessing maybe restoration and someone removed it or rubbed it off taking a bit of paper with it? might want to get a loup and check it out under it.

image.png.95bfe8c8e330a8bebcfecc798171b98a.png

58 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I saw your listing on the boards and it brought me to here to see if anyone has talked about the circle which I am not sure what it is but that looks a bit off to me specially since on the inside cover you can see the light through it? I am guessing maybe restoration and someone removed it or rubbed it off taking a bit of paper with it? might want to get a loup and check it out under it.

I'm guessing there was some kind of price sticker there. That would explain the color pull on the front, and potentially explain the uneven fading leaving a circle shape on the inside front cover.

I do unfortunately agree with buttock in the Marketplace thread: the top edge looks uneven and it seems like there's a strong chance that the overhang was trimmed there.

16 hours ago, Point Five said:

I'm guessing there was some kind of price sticker there. That would explain the color pull on the front, and potentially explain the uneven fading leaving a circle shape on the inside front cover.

I do unfortunately agree with buttock in the Marketplace thread: the top edge looks uneven and it seems like there's a strong chance that the overhang was trimmed there.

I wonder if it was trimmed to fit in the picture frame?