• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #1
1 1

47 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

It's a great looking comic.

The beauty of the restored market is you can get great books at a fraction of the price.  I hope you got a good deal.

I feel like I did. 

I had been saving for one and after tracking a few 1.5s and 2.0s I realized that getting a nice looking low grade Blue label wasnt going to be easy. 

This was the first time I knowingly bought a restored book,  but I really wanted a nice looking copy. I'm really happy with it.

I got to read it a few times before sending it off which added to the excitement.  

Hi all, the person I sold this to had it certified and it came back an apparent 4.0. It was noted as being trimmed at the top edge and 1 piece of tape on the inside cover. He is very happy with it.

Hulk#1.jpeg

Edited by TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector

54 minutes ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Hi all, the person I sold this to had it certified and it came back an apparent 4.0. It was noted as being trimmed at the top edge and 1 piece of tape on the inside cover. He is very happy with it.

Hulk#1.jpeg

Yup, came back a 4.0 and of note, there wasn't any color touch. 

I'm pretty pysched about the book. Its still with the comic shop who submitted it for me, but I'll post pictures when I pick it up. 

Like I said earlier, Lynch was great to work with. Transparent and good communication through out. 

3 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Hulk#1.jpeg

My analysis of Feb 4th: 

"There is a chance of it being top edge cover trimmed. The top and bottom edge machining on these books is fairly consistent on 1961-1963 issues but outliers are more common than 1964 and up. The right edges of these are the most consistent feature, varying very little in symmetry from book to book. In that respect, chances of right edge page trim = 0% and chances of right edge cover trim = 3 to 5%. But that top edge is a concern and based on this image, is at least 50/50 for trim. There are some tells there that can only be confirmed with the type of in-person, close examination that CGC executes.

That is definitely a sticker impression/residue/paper damage. Based on the inside cover image, though a partial look at the inside front cover, there appears to be no hole in the cover." 

•  

19 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My analysis of Feb 4th: 

"There is a chance of it being top edge cover trimmed. The top and bottom edge machining on these books is fairly consistent on 1961-1963 issues but outliers are more common than 1964 and up. The right edges of these are the most consistent feature, varying very little in symmetry from book to book. In that respect, chances of right edge page trim = 0% and chances of right edge cover trim = 3 to 5%. But that top edge is a concern and based on this image, is at least 50/50 for trim. There are some tells there that can only be confirmed with the type of in-person, close examination that CGC executes.

That is definitely a sticker impression/residue/paper damage. Based on the inside cover image, though a partial look at the inside front cover, there appears to be no hole in the cover." 

•  

That was really spot on. I have trouble picking up trimming from photos unless it's really obvious. 

Holding the book in hand you could see the trimming. That top edge had a sharpness to it that looked like it had been done with scissors. 

What surprised me was that there was no CT. The color under the sticker pull looked off. And when you looked close you could see a pen impression. 

My new theory is, the pen impression was from someone writing on the sticker before it was pulled and the color difference was just from the pull itself. 

In any event I couldn't be happier. There was no additional work done to the book, not even a press.

20200226_150257.jpg

20200305_103404.jpg

3 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That was really spot on. I have trouble picking up trimming from photos unless it's really obvious. 

Hand trimming will always leave tells along the edge. The machine apparatus that hold the blades that do the cutting do not undulate (snake), do not vary in down pressure as the cut progresses, and do not change the angle of attack along the length of the cut. Hands that hold blades do! It's impossible for a human to make a 10 inch or 7 inch cut with the same precision as a machine. These perturbations in the symmetry of an edge can be more easily perceived by having thousands upon thousands of books filter through your hands. It makes identifying edges that "need a closer look" easier to spot. 

Trim can be detected from images, although many say it can't be done. What can't be done is confirming the trim. That must be done by in person, close up identification.