• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk #1
1 1

47 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:
2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I wonder if it was trimmed to fit in the picture frame?

Certainly a possibility...

Lucky it wasn't a 5"x7" frame.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:39 PM, Point Five said:

I'm guessing there was some kind of price sticker there. That would explain the color pull on the front, and potentially explain the uneven fading leaving a circle shape on the inside front cover.

I do unfortunately agree with buttock in the Marketplace thread: the top edge looks uneven and it seems like there's a strong chance that the overhang was trimmed there.

There is a chance of it being top edge cover trimmed. The top and bottom edge machining on these books is fairly consistent on 1961-1963 issues but outliers are more common than 1964 and up. The right edges of these are the most consistent feature, varying very little in symmetry from book to book. In that respect, chances of right edge page trim = 0% and chances of right edge cover trim = 3 to 5%. But that top edge is a concern and based on this image, is at least 50/50 for trim. There are some tells there that can only be confirmed with the type of in-person, close examination that CGC executes.

That is definitely a sticker impression/residue/paper damage. Based on the inside cover image, though a partial look at the inside front cover, there appears to be no hole in the cover.

21 hours ago, rasita said:

It was in a picture frame for many years. The front cover has fading and chipping on the edges. I can't see any restoration, but not an expert. What do you guys think and what would you estimate as a price for? I would love your opinions.

What is wrong with your first board ID.  Why did you create s second one?  The book should be sent to CGC.  Trying to sell this raw will most likely end with problems.  

For my own education what makes you all concerned about trimming?  I don't see anything on the top edge that sets off alarm bells, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable in this field. 

I've been collecting for decades, but when it comes to identifying restoration or trimming through pictures I'm a total novice.

It makes me worried I've got trimmed books in my collection and don't even know it! 

56 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

For my own education what makes you all concerned about trimming?  I don't see anything on the top edge that sets off alarm bells, but I'm certainly not knowledgeable in this field. 

I've been collecting for decades, but when it comes to identifying restoration or trimming through pictures I'm a total novice.

It makes me worried I've got trimmed books in my collection and don't even know it! 

It's as simple as that the top edge looks bumpy, but with minimal color flaking. It's easier to see if you click and zoom in. Particularly around the upper right corner, where the edge seems to slope up, then down.

I hate to say it but I also think there's a non-zero chance of color touch on that price sticker spot... maybe it's just the scan, but it seems like the grayish-blue background gets a bit bluer around that spot.

21 minutes ago, Point Five said:

It's as simple as that the top edge looks bumpy, but with minimal color flaking. It's easier to see if you click and zoom in. Particularly around the upper right corner, where the edge seems to slope up, then down.

I hate to say it but I also think there's a non-zero chance of color touch on that price sticker spot... maybe it's just the scan, but it seems like the grayish-blue background gets a bit bluer around that spot.

Thank you,  that was helpful. 

I can see the slope at the top right corner. I have to get better with identifying the rest.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:58 AM, comicdonna said:

What is wrong with your first board ID.  Why did you create s second one?  The book should be sent to CGC.  Trying to sell this raw will most likely end with problems.  

I wanted to use the current username for my website and couldn't change the first after I had created it.

On February 7, 2020 at 10:31 PM, Point Five said:

That look could come from color touch post- sticker removal, but it also struck me that it could be a bad cleaning effort to get off some sticker residue after removal. Maybe too much benzene, an old-school cleaning "technique" I saw a then old-timer (now passed) use in an LCS once when I was in high school. -- NOT fumes one want to inhale (carcinogen) please no one take up this "lost art." -- But I know first-hand there were folks who used this stuff years ago, because I saw it once and he talked about it like it was a known/not unusual thing. 

Really nice find, really nice comic.  Great spine.

The "removed price sticker" is too bad, but I don't think there is any color touch there, so that's good.

My bad news for you my friend, is the trimmed top :eek:.  I'm 99% sure that's trimmed.  Sorry.

I'll say 4.0 purple label.  

If you find out it truly is trimmed, that can never be undone. It will forever have a PLOD.  So a possible new question for you is.... since it will forever be a PLOD should you max out the grade?  Your comic is an example of one that can be maxed out at a fairly high grade because it's in technically great shape right now.  Might want to ask CCS for an opinion. 

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Hi all, here is the interior page scan. What I thought was an age is a piece of old tape holding one of the Marvel chips on the side edge.

hulkInteriorCover.jpg

Wow that certainly does look like it's been trimmed. 

17 hours ago, TellshiarMarvelmaniaCollector said:

Hi all, here is the interior page scan. What I thought was an age is a piece of old tape holding one of the Marvel chips on the side edge.

hulkInteriorCover.jpg

with that interior page now I think there was colour touch and it has been removed... was this your book from the start? or did you pick it up later on? as it looks on the front cover slightly light in colour. it would probably be best if submitting to have a Pro/CCS look at it for restoration still on there as there could be a tiny bit left over or somewhere else hiding that someone might have missed in removing.. So better to get a screening for Restoration even though you know the Top is more than likely trimmed. You can decide then what to do if to restore it for a Higher grade or leave it as is in Trimmed Purple label... 

image.png.2c02e8215e496ed805a6c2daba365311.png

Bumping this old thread with an update. 

I ended up buying this comic from Lynch a few months ago. We negotiated a fair price based on resto and Lynch was great and easy to work with. 

Seeing it in person, you could see, trimmimg, CT (likely from a pen over the sticker pull) and pieces added with tape. I knew or suspected all of this before purchasing largely thanks to this post and Lynch being fully transparent. 

Right now,  the book is with CCS. I submitted it through my local comic shop.

I'm pretty anxious to hear what they say. Given the work and advice I've gotten from others,  I'm leaning toward doing nothing outside of a press and having it graded as is.

I'm not going to do CT removal and obviously you can't undue trimming in any type of ethical way. The book is structurally sound and I'm not sure what else CSC can do aside from add those chips that are held on by very old tape. 

I took the step to send it to CCS because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any resto (I'm no expert) and see if they felt something could be done to improve the grade that wasn't to invasive. 

As for my plans for the book,  I'm a collector,  not a flipper. While the value is always important, I'm more concerned with doing what's right for the book over what will max out value (As in, I won't scrape off color touch or muck up the trimmed edge to flip it for a quick buck).  

I plan on hanging on to this for many years and even restored it was a big big milestone for me.