• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Library Bound Volumes
3 3

38 posts in this topic

There's an OO comic collection being sold on the same day, so these may be from that individual's collection. I noticed that there are duplicates of some of the bound volumes in the collection, so DC may have decided to sell some of them at some point...?

17 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Why would DC have divested from these...?  hm

Probably came from someone who worked there in some capacity. Maybe an executive or an artist. Possibly some one “purloined” them over a period of time. Often, publishers made up several sets. I have a publisher Fiction House by of Wings #1-12. The person I got it from had no info on it. He also had a Planet #13-24 volume but wouldn’t sell it to me. 

Many years ago I worked at Disneyland in their art department on premises. One day I was walking through the merchandising department. Sitting on the floor next to a trash can Was a large pile of WSCS from the late ‘40’s-early ‘50’s. They were all stamped Disney file copies. I asked some one about them and was told if I wanted them, to take them. I filled up a couple large boxes and home they went. Still amazing to me that they were simply throwing them away. Some lower level employee made a stupid decision. 

35 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Probably came from someone who worked there in some capacity. Maybe an executive or an artist. Possibly some one “purloined” them over a period of time. Often, publishers made up several sets. I have a publisher Fiction House by of Wings #1-12. The person I got it from had no info on it. He also had a Planet #13-24 volume but wouldn’t sell it to me. 

Many years ago I worked at Disneyland in their art department on premises. One day I was walking through the merchandising department. Sitting on the floor next to a trash can Was a large pile of WSCS from the late ‘40’s-early ‘50’s. They were all stamped Disney file copies. I asked some one about them and was told if I wanted them, to take them. I filled up a couple large boxes and home they went. Still amazing to me that they were simply throwing them away. Some lower level employee made a stupid decision. 

Mine was a rhetorical question.  I don't see any reason why DC would have unloaded these and I suspect that "purloined" sums the situation up quite well.  

21 hours ago, iggy said:

I wonder who owned these... anyone know?

The pic isn't a link, just a clue of how to check out the auction.

IMG_6619.PNG

I wonder if these are from the same set as the CBM article. The ones in the article are #1-24. These seem to start just after that. Both seem to originate from the same geographical area. Could the owner have sold off the first two years before? There can’t be many of these bound sets in existence at this point. hm

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That doesn’t surprise me. They used to throw away any number of cels over the years. Some sold for nothing in their park stores. No one ever anticipated the collectors market for this stuff. Lots of Hollywood collectible stuff was destroyed, thrown out, given away or sold for next to nothing.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:27 PM, Robot Man said:

They might be these from an old CBM story...

actioncomicsboundvolume1.jpg

actioncomicsboundvolume2.jpg

actioncomicsboundvolume3.jpg

actioncomicsboundvolume4.jpg

What issue/date is this? Robert Rogovin of 4 color looks a bit younger than today... :nyah:

Edited by N e r V

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

We'll need a price report and pictures!

you'll get nothing and like it!

(I usually do pictures and such. I hope to come home with a bound volume or two and some of the other stuff.)

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, 97 volumes stashed away on Staten Island his wife didn't know about. Nothing suspicious about that. Maybe they'll find Jimmy Hoffa next!!

It really isn't suspicious. Considering how many books people amass in their life time, these on a bookshelf would look no different than anything else.