• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Library Bound Volumes
3 3

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

It really isn't suspicious. Considering how many books people amass in their life time, these on a bookshelf would look no different than anything else.

From the description, " This collection of 97 volumes of 800+ bound comics was unearthed from a Staten Island Estate found boxed away unknown by his wife they even existed until he passed away."

Yeah nothing suspicious about that. Can I interest you in some shares of the Brooklyn Bridge? Cheap.

I live in South Jersey so I go to as many of these auctions as I can from time to time you can get a solid score ( it's a lonnnnng day) BUT there are a few regulars who really have no clue to FMV and can make the hours upon hours you spend there a day of pure hell, funny thing about these bound volumes is not too long ago they would have been seen as a neat curiosity sold relatively cheap & really only to a very small group of collectors. 

has that changed??  Granted these look to have been fresh (unread?) office/file copies before they were chop-trimmed and glued-in during the bookbinding process, but still only a curiosity item, no? Geppi amassed nearly a full collection of Golden Age bound volumes, but are there others seeking to do the same?  My feeling has always been that when pricing these, any ties to what the books within are worth intact goes out the window.... except say the volumes with Action 1 and Tec 27 (and other GA keys)  -- where even the pried out copies would still get 6 figures in todays market. ("gorgeous covers, white pages, but no spine left and trimmed 1/8th inch on three sides.")

1 hour ago, Aman619 said:

has that changed??  Granted these look to have been fresh (unread?) office/file copies before they were chop-trimmed and glued-in during the bookbinding process, but still only a curiosity item, no? Geppi amassed nearly a full collection of Golden Age bound volumes, but are there others seeking to do the same?  My feeling has always been that when pricing these, any ties to what the books within are worth intact goes out the window.... except say the volumes with Action 1 and Tec 27 (and other GA keys)  -- where even the pried out copies would still get 6 figures in todays market. ("gorgeous covers, white pages, but no spine left and trimmed 1/8th inch on three sides.")

I love bound volumes. I learned a long time ago was a very inexpensive way to get nice runs of cool books often in otherwise beautiful shape. 

My favorites that I own are all the Donald Duck Barks 4-colors in two volumes, Uncle Scrooge #1-40 in two volumes, and FH office copy of Wings #1-12. 

I would never take them apart. They are what they are and I believe have more value left intact. 

Im not surprised!  you have an incredible and widely varied collection!  And Im pretty sure you didnt pay 10-20K for you bound volumes, or wouldn't today. right?   They are cool... but, aren't they hard to read cause you cant open them up all the way? the panels near the spine are difficult to enjoy.  I also think the spine fonts and design are tragically vanilla -- designed by the printer! 

22 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Im not surprised!  you have an incredible and widely varied collection!  And Im pretty sure you didnt pay 10-20K for you bound volumes, or wouldn't today. right?   They are cool... but, aren't they hard to read cause you cant open them up all the way? the panels near the spine are difficult to enjoy.  I also think the spine fonts and design are tragically vanilla -- designed by the printer! 

To answer your questions, not even close and no I wouldn’t pay what these will be going for. Mine were impulse purchases that presented them selves when I had a little spare change. 

Yes, they are very readable. I treat them as I would any comic, very carefully. There are no panels into the binding or trimmed off. A whole lot of fun to be able to see them in a consecutive run. 

I have quite a few bound volumes. I pick them up when I see interesting ones that are priced fair. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I started a thread on them at one time and showed a bunch of them including a bunch of weird ones I’ve run into over the years.

were you the person who has one bound volume of what appear to be random issues with no relation to each other?

47 minutes ago, Bird said:

were you the person who has one bound volume of what appear to be random issues with no relation to each other?

Probably. I have several of them like that. Coolest one has about 25 random PCH comics in it. I don’t know how to search for it or I would give it a bump. 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:21 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

From the description, " This collection of 97 volumes of 800+ bound comics was unearthed from a Staten Island Estate found boxed away unknown by his wife they even existed until he passed away."

Yeah nothing suspicious about that. Can I interest you in some shares of the Brooklyn Bridge? Cheap.

Coincidentally, Jerry Robinson passed away in 2011 in Staten Island. His survivors were his wife and two children.