• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most cameo appearances before first full.

38 posts in this topic

So has a first appearance ever been drastically changed? For example, all it would take is for a writer to come along and say the clone in 149 wasn't Ben Reilly and that he just had that memory implanted and the real clone that Peter disposed of was actually dead all along. Then what happens? Does everyone go flipping through the $1 bins for Spider-Man #48? Just curious if anything like this has happened before. 

8 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

So has a first appearance ever been drastically changed? For example, all it would take is for a writer to come along and say the clone in 149 wasn't Ben Reilly and that he just had that memory implanted and the real clone that Peter disposed of was actually dead all along. Then what happens? Does everyone go flipping through the $1 bins for Spider-Man #48? Just curious if anything like this has happened before. 

Yes, writers have tried that (not necessarily to influence the back issue market) with stories, and no, it generally doesn't change anything in the market.  That being said, "Domino" on the cover of New Mutants #98 isn't Domino but she's Copycat who was copying "Domino" even though we'd never seen Domino before. lol

58 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, writers have tried that (not necessarily to influence the back issue market) with stories, and no, it generally doesn't change anything in the market.  That being said, "Domino" on the cover of New Mutants #98 isn't Domino but she's Copycat who was copying "Domino" even though we'd never seen Domino before. lol

I guess it's easier to look like a perfect copy of someone that no one has ever heard of :roflmao:

45 minutes ago, Timely said:

No, that's Green Goblin.  I'm talking about Norman Osborn appearing in cameo as a civilian!

Ahhh. Unless I missed something, Norman does not appear in #23 out of costume...and he doesn't appear as "Norman Osborne" until issue #37. I don't see him in issue #31.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Unless these two panels are supposed to be Norman, but the context doesn't suggest it based on information already known...if that IS Norman, ol' Stan and Steve were being very clever....

1531150299_asm23page.thumb.png.41344ddef589dce13159ab20f3862081.png

hm

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

50 minutes ago, Timely said:

No, that's Green Goblin.  I'm talking about Norman Osborn appearing in cameo as a civilian!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm talking out my arse. ;)

Alright, since you got me on the trail, I'm good with calling that 2 panel cameo in #23 "Norman Osborne", because there IS a resemblance...here's the one from #25

1845727663_asm25page.thumb.png.11f39e43130136b6a659f864365a0232.png

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

55 minutes ago, Timely said:

It doesn't matter. They're the same character whether in costume, out of costume, in disguise, etc.

He can have a first significant appearance as Norman, but Norman Osborn's first full (no qualifiers necessary) appearance is in ASM 14.

10 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Have you ever read the 90s Clone Saga? All that and more was in there, mostly coming from the Jackal messing with Ben and Peter.

47 minutes ago, TT44ly said:

I'd say HOS #92. The Swamp Thing in that issue is not (is no longer) Alec Holland, but one of many STs in the Parliament of Trees. No one seems to care though (shrug)

It never was. Wein and Wrightson created a whole new character and story for Swamp Thing 1.

I’m actually shocked there hasn’t been some kind of 6 part story in the 80’s or 90’s where the last page of each issue had a single panel cameo from a mysterious new character who finally gets revealed in the final pages of the arc

Edited by dupont2005

On 2/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

Have you ever read the 90s Clone Saga? All that and more was in there, mostly coming from the Jackal messing with Ben and Peter.

Yep, actually been re-reading it right now. Only about 1000 issues to go to finish it, so I guess I'm a little over half-way through it lol