• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Fantasy 9 - variant information needed

5 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Strange Fantasy 9 and according to Overstreet, there are a few rebind variants featuring Harvey interiors.  There are Black Cat, Boys Ranch, Horror and War interiors.  I also saw a picture of a CGC slab stating it had a Davy Crockett interior.  I have a copy with a sci-fi interior featuring the stories from this comic minus the first wrap which is a one pager.  The book opens with Sandflower of Venus.  Is this a known variation, or something new?

image.thumb.png.1809f148c8810f1dfe7ed0e301e99741.png

1638611693_sf9cover.thumb.jpg.0788010fab161519965766053710ef8e.jpg

1053279334_sf9interior.thumb.jpg.7247a4c69757e7bcc28ff1af35702459.jpg

On 2/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, Black Bat said:

I’m curious too- someone one the boards has a black cat varient for sale. Is there a “standard” version or were they all rewraps?

Supposedly the Black Cat is hard to find, but that's the one I've seen more than any other.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, Black Bat said:

I’m curious too- someone one the boards has a black cat varient for sale. Is there a “standard” version or were they all rewraps?

I think the Overstreet listing is confusing and I have not heard definitively the source of these comics.

It is likely a legally dubious reprint from an independent company that combines a cover from Ajax with different interiors from Harvey and Ziff-Davis, something similar to the IW reprints of the late 50s.

The original Str Fantasy 9 from Ajax has the great cover with an equally fun set of interior stories from the Iger shop.