• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC’s stance on stoles and tape

6 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Not sure if this is the right area to post but my inquiry is on a silver age gem - as is often the case there has been “ repairs “ to it - I know for a fact there is tape along the L spine and possibly staples added - will this be viewed as resto?

thanks 

My understanding is that extra staple(s) and tape will both be viewed as defects and not restoration (unless the tape is for conservation or restoration, which this isn't, and CGC would understand the intent of the tape).

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

My understanding is that extra staple(s) and tape will both be viewed as defects and not restoration (unless the tape is for conservation or restoration, which this isn't, and CGC would understand the intent of the tape).

That’s great to hear ! Thanks Capra ! 

18 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Not sure if this is the right area to post but my inquiry is on a silver age gem - as is often the case there has been “ repairs “ to it - I know for a fact there is tape along the L spine and possibly staples added - will this be viewed as resto?

thanks 

if the original staples are there and haven't been messed with and just additional staple added you can get a blue label but it will have notes of extra staple added and will affect the grade in accordance. CGC has different stances on tape but generally they grade as if the tape is not there but if the tape has stained etc.. it will affect the grade accordingly.

17 hours ago, TT44ly said:

How do you know this tape isn't for conservation/restoration?

I don’t , however - back in the day - take was used to reinforce spine when little Tommy was writing his name on the cover and folding the book to fit in his back pocket - that being said - I have to make sure the staples haven’t been replaced and new ones have simply been added ... I think that’s the key for me