• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a lead for a large silver age DC collection need advice

13 posts in this topic

Good Morning!

So after several years of taking a break collecting I am going to dive back in head first. I was contacted by an older gentleman who has a little over 1,000 silver age (50's-60's) DC comic books. The bulk are supposedly Superman, Superboy, and Lois Lane but it also has Flash and some Batman. I did ask if there were any keys and he said no. He sent a few pictures from the collection and I will try to attach an example. Bottom line is he is wanting to get $14,000 for the collection. I am going this afternoon to take a look at condition ect. I have a budget of $10,000 so I am not sure I can put the rest together in the next week. I am a Marvel collector so this is somewhat new territory. At $14 a book is this potentially a good deal or is there a pitfall I should be aware of with these titles? 

Flash.jpg

What's the condition of the books? $14 could be a great deal if the books are generally VF and up or (much more likely) a bad deal if they are midgrade or lower. Did he buy them off of the stands or assemble them secondhand? I've bought three or four large DC collections from that era in the past and did very well, even on the slower titles, but they were in top shape. 5.0's or 6.0's are a VERY different ballgame on Lois Lane, Superboy, etc. Good luck moving them in that condition. :eek:

He said "no keys", but then sent a pic of Flash 105? ???

Too many unknown variables to say definitively whether or not it's a good deal, but like Bob said a lot of those titles are slow sellers, so unless the condition is there it's likely not worth it. 

Edited by october

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

You had me until you said Superman, Superboy and Lois lane.

Same. DC Silver age is really not popular. Marvel clearly won that decade and since collectors only have so much income, you end up with a lot of DC silver age on the market that is just remaining there unsought and unbought (I am specifically speaking of mid grade examples here, which is what I assume is being purchased from an older gentleman). It is weird that he said no keys and sends you an image of a key. But if that's his only key, I'd say your $10,000 could be better put elsewhere. I just worry that it's money you'll have to work extra hard to get back and may not be worth your time. 

6 hours ago, cramerb5351 said:

Good Morning!

So after several years of taking a break collecting I am going to dive back in head first. I was contacted by an older gentleman who has a little over 1,000 silver age (50's-60's) DC comic books. The bulk are supposedly Superman, Superboy, and Lois Lane but it also has Flash and some Batman. I did ask if there were any keys and he said no. He sent a few pictures from the collection and I will try to attach an example. Bottom line is he is wanting to get $14,000 for the collection. I am going this afternoon to take a look at condition ect. I have a budget of $10,000 so I am not sure I can put the rest together in the next week. I am a Marvel collector so this is somewhat new territory. At $14 a book is this potentially a good deal or is there a pitfall I should be aware of with these titles? 

Flyingdonut gave me this advice for buying a collection.  I thought it was pretty good:  

"Go through it all. Estimate the big keys at 75% of Guide. If these are all Marvels, 50% of Guide for any first appearances. All other books $2 each. Add that price all up, deduct 10%, and that's your number."

7 hours ago, cramerb5351 said:

I was contacted by an older gentleman who has a little over 1,000 silver age (50's-60's) DC comic books. The bulk are supposedly Superman, Superboy, and Lois Lane but it also has Flash and some Batman. I did ask if there were any keys and he said no. He sent a few pictures from the collection and I will try to attach an example. Bottom line is he is wanting to get $14,000 for the collection. I am going this afternoon to take a look at condition ect. I have a budget of $10,000

As I have stated on these boards in the past, in today's key-centric and classic cover focused red hot marketplace, it is a whole lot easier to sell one $10K comic book, as opposed to trying to sell one thousand $10 comic books.  hm

The thing that struck me was a thousand. DC had a lot more titles than Marvel but a lot were not monthlies. I know GL JLA Hawkman Metal Men (all sold here) were either bi monthly or 8/9 times a year. So taking out Tec and Batman, early Flash (under 130), early JLA (under 30), a small handful of GL, SC under 30 and maybe 10-15 Brave and Bold, and maybe 100 Superman and Action, you probably have maybe 500+ of the stuff not many people are chasing, Metal Men, Challengers, Sea Devils, Rip Hunter, Hawkman, Atom, , Adventure, Superboy Lois Lane Jimmy Olsen, Jerry Lewis, Leave it to Binky, Sugar and Spike +  maybe war + romance. The collection could be a super find or I hate to say it but $5.00 books at most Cons, and many not even worth that.

Possibly it has already been shopped around and the keys maybe picked out of it. I would not knock back the chance just to look it over. Maybe you can just pick out some keys if you go high enough to make him interested.