• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catalouging a large collection.
2 2

32 posts in this topic

I recently decided to sell some of my collection and am trying to figure out the least painful way of recording it. An Excel spreadsheet would take forever to populate around 1,500 comics. Is there an application or service that might make this task easier?

1 hour ago, Deadpoolica said:

Thanks. Do auction houses like Heritage accept submissions of collections in this format? I recently inquired with them on a sale of collection and they told me to send them a list in spreadsheet format which I don't have the time to populate. This looks like it would be more point and click.

38 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

Thanks. Do auction houses like Heritage accept submissions of collections in this format? I recently inquired with them on a sale of collection and they told me to send them a list in spreadsheet format which I don't have the time to populate. This looks like it would be more point and click.

They're gonna want a spreadsheet 

2 hours ago, Silentbob said:

Export to Excel

Edited by thunsicker

you can record the collection on a website-- I use Comic Book Realm  https://comicbookrealm.com/ .

My advice is to take a couple of months reviewing the numerous informational threads on this site -- especially the one in the Newb forum-- you know-- research and effort ---- that will give you the best idea how to approach it. If you simply throw out some generic questions expecting everyone to figure this out for you-- expect that your results will be as worthwhile as the time you invested. I've read a handful of your interactions so far and you seem to think the people here and not very knowledgeable -- a massive under estimation of the expertise here. That said - the people here are also not fools or your servants. So maybe roll back the expectations and animosity toward people you have barely ever met.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

you can record the collection on a website-- I use Comic Book Realm  https://comicbookrealm.com/ .

My advice is to take a couple of months reviewing the numerous informational threads on this site -- especially the one in the Newb forum-- you know-- research and effort ---- that will give you the best idea how to approach it. If you simply throw out some generic questions expecting everyone to figure this out for you-- expect that your results will be as worthwhile as the time you invested. I've read a handful of your interactions so far and you seem to think the people here and not very knowledgeable -- a massive under estimation of the expertise here. That said - the people here are also not fools or your servants. So maybe roll back the expectations and animosity toward people you have barely ever met.

This aggression will not stand, man.

Good advice Dude. I don't have any anonymousity towards anyone. I didn't try to come off that way. Sorry if it was misinterpreted. I'm just trying to find a rug that ties the room together.

20 hours ago, faster friends said:

1500 does not sound like that large of a collection. Surely there are runs of individual titles.

Maybe 1,500 doesn't sound like a lot to you. I beg to differ. Close to 1,000 of those were purchased when I was between the ages of 10-16 years old. I rode my bike just about every weekend 6 miles to my local shop and spent every dollar I had.

14 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

Maybe 1,500 doesn't sound like a lot to you. I beg to differ. Close to 1,000 of those were purchased when I was between the ages of 10-16 years old. I rode my bike just about every weekend 6 miles to my local shop and spent every dollar I had.

Did you ride uphill, both ways?

I recently finished cataloguing my "Good Stuff" in Excel.   2,000 books.  Just spend about an hour a day working on it, and you'll be done in  a month. 

2 minutes ago, Phicks said:

Did you ride uphill, both ways?

I recently finished cataloguing my "Good Stuff" in Excel.   2,000 books.  Just spend about an hour a day working on it, and you'll be done in  a month. 

LOL...it wasn't uphill but it was a tiny BMX bike 3 sizes too small and a bent fork from not nailing a sweet jump properly.

Did you use a service or enter manually? I would think scanning via the Collectorz app would be far less painful.

I entered each book manually, inputting my estimate of a CGC grade (or actual CGC grade for the few graded books I have), and the current Overstreet price.

Title Issue Number Grade Value

Amazing Adventures 1 8.0 $52.00
Amazing Adventures 2 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 3 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 4 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 5 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 6 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 7 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 8 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 9 8.0 $27.00
Amazing Adventures 10 8.0 $27.00
Amazing Adventures 11 8.5 CGC $206.00
Amazing Adventures 12 8.0 $48.00

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

1500 comic books is nothing to catalog.

You wanna make money off of them, you need to put the work in.

Here's how I catalog my books.

1265576324_writingvocation_unsplash.jpg.3eeee8c98d2de7b370158abbe9287114.jpg

2c

old school style damn... the hours you must of spent... noted

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

1500 comic books is nothing to catalog.

You wanna make money off of them, you need to put the work in.

Here's how I catalog my books.

1265576324_writingvocation_unsplash.jpg.3eeee8c98d2de7b370158abbe9287114.jpg

2c

giphy.gif

this must of been you when writing down your large and cool collection... it would be me if I had your collection lol 

47 minutes ago, Phicks said:

I entered each book manually, inputting my estimate of a CGC grade (or actual CGC grade for the few graded books I have), and the current Overstreet price.

Title Issue Number Grade Value

Amazing Adventures 1 8.0 $52.00
Amazing Adventures 2 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 3 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 4 8.0 $21.00
Amazing Adventures 5 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 6 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 7 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 8 8.0 $30.00
Amazing Adventures 9 8.0 $27.00
Amazing Adventures 10 8.0 $27.00
Amazing Adventures 11 8.5 CGC $206.00
Amazing Adventures 12 8.0 $48.00

overstreet price curious why you would use that pricing? Do you have GPA? 

also if you do sell I can buy them off you for Overstreet price??? lol just messing around but curious as I think your one of the first people I've come across that is cataloging with Overstreet Price guide.

18 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

overstreet price curious why you would use that pricing? Do you have GPA? 

also if you do sell I can buy them off you for Overstreet price??? lol just messing around but curious as I think your one of the first people I've come across that is cataloging with Overstreet Price guide.

You can always look up the price (whatever you prefer to use) and as they can change frequently, I don't bother to record it. I find it more pertinent to record the following:
1) Title
2) Issue
3) Condition
4) Purchase date
5) Purchase price
6) Purchased from

While I normally remember these things it has been nice to have a concise location I can fall back on when my brain gets fuzzy :)

Edited by 707comics