• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catalouging a large collection.
2 2

32 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, 707comics said:

You can always look up the price (whatever you prefer to use) and as they can change frequently, I don't bother to record it. I find it more pertinent to record the following:
1) Title
2) Issue
3) Condition
4) Purchase date
5) Purchase price
6) Purchased from

While I normally remember these things it has been nice to have a concise location I can fall back on when my brain gets fuzzy :)

I do the same I have a excel as my collection has grown quite large.... and I forget sometimes the purchase price but I do usually have a note of where I got it and how much I paid but I haven't made a column of overstreet price guide or gpa since GPA prices change all the time.. 

31 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

overstreet price curious why you would use that pricing? Do you have GPA? 

also if you do sell I can buy them off you for Overstreet price??? lol just messing around but curious as I think your one of the first people I've come across that is cataloging with Overstreet Price guide.

No I don't have GPA.   When I am ready to sell, I will happily take you up on your offer to buy my 2,000 comics at Overstreet prices.  I'm going to let them age about ten more years and then sell them when I retire.

6 minutes ago, Phicks said:

No I don't have GPA.   When I am ready to sell, I will happily take you up on your offer to buy my 2,000 comics at Overstreet prices.  I'm going to let them age about ten more years and then sell them when I retire.

well send me a PM in about 10 years.. if you have something I want I am sure we might make a deal.

Looks like a lot of you guys are inputting manually into Excel.

Can anyone comment on how the process went when the CLZ app was used? How was the list when imported into a spreadsheet? I foresee the advantage of scanning the barcode to be far less cumbersome then my hunt and peck skills on a spreadsheet.

7 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

Looks like a lot of you guys are inputting manually into Excel.

Can anyone comment on how the process went when the CLZ app was used? How was the list when imported into a spreadsheet? I foresee the advantage of scanning the barcode to be far less cumbersome then my hunt and peck skills on a spreadsheet.

unfortunately I deal with Silver age books so no barcode to scan lol this is why I use the excel I had CLZ app but I dont have a huge modern collection just issues here and there and some spidey as well as Batman New 52 but I didn't like the CLZ app but that was a while ago they might have improved it... As I didn't like that there was no where to put grade or purchase price or other details that I like to record, etc... 

4 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

unfortunately I deal with Silver age books so no barcode to scan lol this is why I use the excel I had CLZ app but I dont have a huge modern collection just issues here and there and some spidey as well as Batman New 52 but I didn't like the CLZ app but that was a while ago they might have improved it... As I didn't like that there was no where to put grade or purchase price or other details that I like to record, etc... 

Good point. I have mostly modern so didn't think about the lack of barcode. Now that I think of it, I had a lot direct editions too as I had a subscription service. Hopefully CLZ can identify comics other ways as well.

Edited by Silentbob

14 minutes ago, Silentbob said:

Good point. I have mostly modern so didn't think about the lack of barcode. Now that I think of it, I had a lot direct editions too as I had a subscription service. Hopefully CLZ can identify comics other ways as well.

you can input manually through a search feature from what I remeber

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

giphy.gif

this must of been you when writing down your large and cool collection... it would be me if I had your collection lol 

The good thing about writing my books down in a journal, is I don't have redistribute resources and time from moving over twenty thousand +  comic books onto a spreadsheet.  

So , yes 1500 is nothing.  Over 20,000 books ? A little different. 

I bought the CLZ app last night after reading this and checking it out. It's only $15 for a year so I said why not. So far it seems really easy and has every feature that I can think of. I did search for titles without a UPC and had no problem finding it quickly. After the first search, it was easier to find the rest of the books from the same title. Has the ability to keep multiple collections and move comics in and out. "Want List" is a nice feature also. So far the Go Collect price values that have popped up have been pretty good. I've adjusted 2 of the 20 that were being over valued. Lets you look at pretty much any books that fit a certain category also...graded, non-graded, Marvel, DC, Signed, Unsigned, etc. The scanning was lightning fast with how quick my books popped up. I also have my own spreadsheet that I've used for the last few years, but I think this will end up replacing it for good since I can export a file. Don't see how you can go wrong with it.:headbang:

5 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I bought the CLZ app last night after reading this and checking it out. It's only $15 for a year so I said why not. So far it seems really easy and has every feature that I can think of. I did search for titles without a UPC and had no problem finding it quickly. After the first search, it was easier to find the rest of the books from the same title. Has the ability to keep multiple collections and move comics in and out. "Want List" is a nice feature also. So far the Go Collect price values that have popped up have been pretty good. I've adjusted 2 of the 20 that were being over valued. Lets you look at pretty much any books that fit a certain category also...graded, non-graded, Marvel, DC, Signed, Unsigned, etc. The scanning was lightning fast with how quick my books popped up. I also have my own spreadsheet that I've used for the last few years, but I think this will end up replacing it for good since I can export a file. Don't see how you can go wrong with it.:headbang:

Thanks for the review. I plan on getting this tonight in order to scan my collection. It took me a 4 hours just to put in order after the last time I moved them.

3 hours ago, Silentbob said:

Thanks for the review. I plan on getting this tonight in order to scan my collection. It took me a 4 hours just to put in order after the last time I moved them.

Definitely go through and read the table of contents. It's pretty short but very helpful. Have fun and lemme know if you have any problems with it.