• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these books worth the grade? ASM 361 / Iron Man 282

35 posts in this topic

I have these 2 books in 9+ condition, should get a 9.6/9.8, I'm planning on selling.  Is the payoff worth the effort to slab or do I just sell them raw?  I've looked at them on ebay and it seems slightly advantageous to slab but wanted other opinions.

ASM 361

Iron Man 282

A lot of it depends in how much you have invested in them. If you paid cover price for them when they came out and your grades are accurate I would say go for it.

Can you supply more details?

I’d say do the research on pricing for grading which includes shipping, packaging, insurance, grading, possible pressing, invoice fees, opportunity cost, customs if applicable

factor in the cost of selling including time spent, selling fees, taxes, possible returns, packaging and post

factor in risk of not getting the grade you want If you submit

factor in your own personal return on investment ratios

Factor in your own price trend analysis based on historical behavior and future anticipated media

and solve for x.

good luck 

5 hours ago, Logan510 said:

A lot of it depends in how much you have invested in them. If you paid cover price for them when they came out and your grades are accurate I would say go for it.

Thanks for the responses, I have cover price invested.  My overall goal is to downsize my collection and purchase a book or two to keep longterm (another poll for later :-).  So, that being said, I want to maximize what I can sell them for so I can give myself the best opportunity to buy the most book for my money. Obviously if I can invest a little and sell for exponentially more that would be great.  I know there comes a point where the cost to slab isn't worthwhile.  These 2 books seemed to have some upside and I have them in high grades so that's why I just keyed in on these two.

Edited by eselrod

4 minutes ago, eselrod said:

Thanks for the responses, I have cover price invested.  My overall goal is to downsize my collection and purchase a book or two to keep longterm (another poll for later :-).  So, that being said, I want to maximize what I can sell them for so I can give myself the best opportunity to buy the most book for my money. Obviously if I can invest a little and sell for exponentially more that would great.  I know there comes a point where the cost to slab isn't worthwhile.  These 2 books seemed to have some upside and I have them in high grades so that's why I just keyed in on these two.

If you want some assurance, you should post front and back cover scans of the books in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" thread.

If it were me and the grades are accurate and I had only cover price invested I would slab them in a heartbeat.

Edited by Logan510

5 hours ago, Logan510 said:

It doesn’t actually matter what he has invested in them.

It boils down to whether the costs involved in slabbing are less than the increased sale price he will get from a slabbed book compared to a raw book.

The amount he has invested will change the profit he makes from the sale ( and if high enough he could lose money ), but the value of slabbing the books won’t be changed.

1 minute ago, Hamlet said:

It boils down to whether the costs involved in slabbing are less than the increased sale price he will get from a slabbed book compared to a raw book.

The amount he has invested will change the profit he makes from the sale ( and if high enough he could lose money ), but the value of slabbing the books won’t be changed.

Disagree. 

If he had paid near a 9.8 price for raw copies it would not be worth slabbing. At cover price invested, if the books grade out even a bit lower than what he expected it's still profit taking those other things into consideration.

Maybe you think I don't know what I'm talking about, but when it comes to flipping I'm in the black (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Disagree. 

If he had paid near a 9.8 price for raw copies it would not be worth slabbing. At cover price invested, if the books grade out even a bit lower than what he expected it's still profit taking those other things into consideration.

Maybe you think I don't know what I'm talking about, but when it comes to flipping I'm in the black (thumbsu

If he overpaid for the book, it isn’t going to change the difference between what the book will sell for raw and what it will sell for graded.  

Say the book will sell for $100 raw and is going to come back a CGC 9.6 that will sell for $175.   Since grading the book is going to cost him less than $75, he should get it graded regardless of what he paid for it.  Say it costs $50 to slab it.  He will be $25 ahead getting it slabbed.

If he overpaid for it and paid $200 originally, he’s going to lose money on the book either way, but he will lose $25 less getting it slabbed ( $75 vs $100 ).

Unless you think the price he paid will change what he can sell it for.  I’m pretty sure that with these books that is not going to be the case.

1 hour ago, Hamlet said:

Duh . . . :sumo:

On 2/5/2020 at 9:17 PM, Hamlet said:

If he overpaid for the book, it isn’t going to change the difference between what the book will sell for raw and what it will sell for graded.  

Say the book will sell for $100 raw and is going to come back a CGC 9.6 that will sell for $175.   Since grading the book is going to cost him less than $75, he should get it graded regardless of what he paid for it.  Say it costs $50 to slab it.  He will be $25 ahead getting it slabbed.

If he overpaid for it and paid $200 originally, he’s going to lose money on the book either way, but he will lose $25 less getting it slabbed ( $75 vs $100 ).

Unless you think the price he paid will change what he can sell it for.  I’m pretty sure that with these books that is not going to be the case.

He said he paid COVER PRICE for them.. Thats' the equation we use...not "IF he overpaid for it..." ECT :makepoint:

Edited by KryptoSpidey

2 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

He said he paid COVER PRICE for them.. Thats' the equation we use...not "IF he overpaid for it..." ECT :makepoint:

Did you read the thread?  People were asking what he paid for them to determine whether it made sense to slab them.  I was pointing out that what he paid for them didn’t matter when making that decision.  It’s a sunk cost and doesn’t change the difference between what he can sell it for raw and what he can sell it for slabbed.

Edited by Hamlet

For pure economics it shouldn’t matter what he paid for them, BUT to some people the ROI is a stronger factor than the pure dollar amount.

if I bought for $3 and can sell now for $51, that’s 1600% profit.  Sounds appealing? I might just sell it here and save the trouble and risk.

but if you put in another $47 for grading, maybe you sell for $150, which is only 200% profit, but an extra $50 profit

but if You paid $50 already, there’s no profit at all unless you get it graded.

when mental justifications and preferences come in, pure economics doesn’t always apply

Edited by revat

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Did you read the thread?  People were asking what he paid for them to determine whether it made sense to slab them.  I was pointing out that what he paid for them didn’t matter when making that decision.  It’s a sunk cost and doesn’t change the difference between what he can sell it for raw and what he can sell it for slabbed.

Well it kinda all does. If he paid cover price for it, it's all profit beyond cost of grading basically vs if he paid $100 for the book and then grading and ate it in the end. What he paid is completely relevant at that point. Also raw value vs graded is definitely a huge difference. Which is why I just had a 9.6 slabbed and sold here on the boards,vs selling it raw. Cost of slabbing and selling a book I got basically free,like him,way outways selling raw, any day for this scenero.

Edited by KryptoSpidey