Should I CPR (crack press regrade) this Daredevil 168?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

743 posts

I purchased this book already slabbed and was wondering what the issue was from stopping this book to go higher. So I got grader notes:

soiling bottom of front cover

spine stress lines

Do you guys think it's worth doing the whole CPR thing with this book?

 

daredevil 168.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,931 posts

Front looks nicer than a 9.0.

Back cover scan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
17 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Front looks nicer than a 9.0.

Back cover scan? 

My personal scanner is smaller than a  slab but I could only take a pic when I get home. This is the image from the seller and they had not provided the back image. The issue seems to be from that small dust shadow at the bottom of the front cover, which is noted as minor soiling in the grader notes. Not sure if that can get cleaned out or if it's what's bringing down the grade rather than the spine creases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,487 posts

You'd have to see it in hand before making that judgment. :grin: And btw, if you bought it through Heritage, the likelihood is it's already been pressed.

Edited by divad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
25 minutes ago, divad said:

You'd have to see it in hand before making that judgment. :grin: And btw, if you bought it through Heritage, the likelihood is it's already been pressed.

Thanks. I have it in hand, I just used their image because my scanner is too small. It looks great in hand, aside from the mentioned spine stress. That's why I thought a press would work wonders for it. Wouldn't a press have removed these spine creases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,487 posts

You've cracked it out already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
2 minutes ago, divad said:

You've cracked it out already?

No, not yet, was waiting for opinion of people more knowledgable in this sort of thing, such as this fine community. I will take some pics of the back later and add them in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,695 posts

Speaking for myself, not worth the trouble. Unless it's really scarce or high value book, I think I'd rather just buy another book in a higher grade and sell this one off to help pay for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370 posts
31 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Speaking for myself, not worth the trouble. Unless it's really scarce or high value book, I think I'd rather just buy another book in a higher grade and sell this one off to help pay for it. 

.... and I have a 9.6 copy that was just listed at MYCOMICSHOP.COM if this advise is taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
7 hours ago, joeypost said:

Front looks nicer than a 9.0.

Back cover scan? 

Best I could do. And i found the soiling at the bottom of the front cover.

 

 

20200205_180443.jpg

20200205_180428.jpg

20200205_180416.jpg

20200205_180359.jpg

20200205_180343.jpg

20200205_180334.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,875 posts

Not going to be able to fix those issues IMO, so leave it as is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,487 posts
3 hours ago, William-James88 said:
3 hours ago, divad said:

You've cracked it out already?

No, not yet, was waiting for opinion of people more knowledgable in this sort of thing, such as this fine community. I will take some pics of the back later and add them in.

So . . . you don't actually have it "in hand" :baiting: If you do want to CPR, send it to joeypost - he's the best. Otherwise, the above advice is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,487 posts
2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Not going to be able to fix those issues IMO, so leave it as is 

After looking at the new pix, I agree. That "spine crease"on the UBC isn't going anywhere - it's more like a cut. Nice attractive copy, nonetheless - do you really "need" a higher grade?

Edited by divad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
743 posts
10 minutes ago, divad said:

After looking at the new pix, I agree. That "spine crease"on the UBC isn't going anywhere - it's more like a cut. Nice attractive copy, nonetheless - do you really "need" a higher grade?

No, I dont need a higher grade. But I would want the most from my purchase so I figured I would ask.

Also, I thought in hand was referring to the slabbed comic being in my possession, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2