• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Shipping Kits! For those who need instructions!
2 2

38 posts in this topic

Shipping Kits Now Available for Mail-In Submissions

Posted on 2/4/2020

SHIP_KIT_email%202%20(1)20200205171003325.jpg

Show your books some love! CGC Shipping Kits make it easy to safely pack your raw comic books for their trip to CGC.

The kits are perfect for all kinds of collectors, whether you’re a new submitter who’s nervous about shipping your collectibles, or an old pro who appreciates convenience. They include all the protective materials you need, including poly bags, boards, bubble bags, bubble wrap, a return box marked “Fragile” and more. Step-by-step videos help guide you through the packing process.

The kits are available in two sizes:

CGC Small Shipping Kit (1 to 10 books)

CGC Large Shipping Kit (11 to 40 books)

Packing Tips:

When using a Shipping Kit, CGC recommends taking the following steps to ensure that your submission is received securely and expediently.

ShipKitSteps1_220200121121538874.PNGShipKitStep3_420200121121600013.PNG

Important Notice:

The customer is responsible for safely and securely packaging the collectibles. Any instructions from CGC on how to package collectibles are only suggestions. The customer, in its sole discretion, must determine how to package the collectibles to prevent damage during the normal handling process. The customer assumes all risk of loss or damage to collectibles until collectibles are received and inspected by CGC

Articles List

mr-haney-553fdebf-8913-49c9-84cb-cf8f6f3aa35-resize-750.jpeg.bbf10b345768a51b1a25fb50a89ffca2.jpeg

...Just joking but not everyone is experienced at packaging like most around here. They probably deal with customers who under protect valuable books then complain when they get their books back. I don't blame them for trying to cover all bases. The above post is right 

3 hours ago, LordRahl said:

You guys that are mocking probably don't buy much off feebay. First there are the nitwits that just throw a bagged book in an envelope with nothing else... literally just book, polybag and envelope (as if that's gonna survive getting shipped cross country). What I think CGC likely deals with more are the over-packers. You know the ones that pack like the book is going through a war zone. They are better than the first kind but not much better. If it takes me a half hour to extricate a book from its packing without damaging the thing, you are doing it wrong. I know CGC is hoping for extra revenue here but I think they are also hoping to save themselves some hassle from people that don't know how to pack well AND efficiently.

I'm more than happy to take 30+ minutes to open raw or CGC books from sellers if it ensures they arrive safe and sound to my doorstep.  Sometimes it takes those necessary steps by over-the-top packagers to keep the shipping companies from destroying the books inside after playing dodgeball with our packages. Happily, I consider myself one of those over-packagers. :foryou:

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

but not everyone is experienced at packaging like most around here. They probably deal with customers who under protect valuable books then complain when they get their books back. I don't blame them for trying to cover all bases. The above post is right 

Not only that, but depending on price of this little outfit, maybe materials are hard to come by......

It's a stretch, but I've remembered stories of people s.hipping in food boxes like cereal boxes etc.

Surely we dont live in the stone age of shipping anymore lol

But if cgc thinks it needs addressing with the multiple of packages they receive, then ok, I just wonder what that reason is hm

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

I'm more than happy to take 30+ minutes to open raw or CGC books from sellers if it ensures they arrive safe and sound to my doorstep.  Sometimes it takes those necessary steps by over-the-top packagers to keep the shipping companies from destroying the books inside after playing dodgeball with our packages. Happily, I consider myself one of those over-packagers. :foryou:

I understand that position however this is CGC we're talking about here. They have to open hundreds of packages a day. Now if it takes them 30 minutes to open each one imagine the backlog that is going to create. They are operating a business, the more efficient they are, the quicker they can service their customers and the better their margins are. You and I might open a couple of packages a week, maybe 5-10... it just doesn't scale well when you're opening hundreds a day.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not only that, but depending on price of this little outfit, maybe materials are hard to come by......

It's a stretch, but I've remembered stories of people s.hipping in food boxes like cereal boxes etc.

Surely we dont live in the stone age of shipping anymore lol

But if cgc thinks it needs addressing with the multiple of packages they receive, then ok, I just wonder what that reason is hm

The reason is that it will sell which a) gets more revenue in the door and b) makes their shipping departments (or whoever is opening packages) life easier. We live in a society that prioritizes ease of use. Why do you think people walk into a Kinko's FedEx with whatever they are shipping and get it all packed and boxed up there? They know they are paying retail for materials they could buy for half or less on Amazon and do it themselves. They don't because it's easy and some people aren't all that price sensitive, they are prioritizing their time and effort over saving a few bucks. Same thing here, you get all you need in one handy little package. You are obviously going to pay a premium but you will save some time and effort. 

Edited by LordRahl
typo

8 hours ago, LordRahl said:

the over-packers.

<--- guilty as charged

I will say in my defense, however, that removing what tape I use is never a problem. I'll use a few small pieces of Scotch to secure the bubble-wrap. Other than that, I use plain ordinary masking tape to make the brick - and ALWAYS with both ends (on every piece) folded over for easy removal. The recipient never has to use a knife - well, maybe to open those damn priority boxes (I"ll use packing tape to secure the ends - that seal that they use is close to useless). :sumo: 

I know exactly what you're talking about though, having had to open a few myself (swearing under my breath the whole time. The ideal, which I'm trying to achieve, is to keep the same level of protection, but make it easy-open.

This sounds like a revenue maker and something to make their grading process more efficient, which is fine. I just dont understand the pricing, it is totally out of whack.

If this really makes their process more efficient and quick then it is already generating profit and theres no reason to charge $15 for the smal kit.. The price should be their cost. Id estimate this whole package to cost them $5.00. Even I would pay the $5.00, but $15 no way.