• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Run Cockrum X-men Market?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I know most of the good stuff gets sold behind closed doors so looking for some guidance here. I told myself at the beginning of the year I would come up with an OA collecting plan so here we are. I am a huge X- Men fan and I want to try to get a piece from each great X-Men time period. Thanks to a very generous and easy to work with Boardy I am currently paying off a Kirby page so that will be checked off. Next on my hit parade is a Cockrum piece, I would prefer a first run piece but doing research they do not seem to change hands very often publicly so I would love if you can give me a fair market range for like an A piece a B Piece C piece etc... So I can be armed with some info on my quest. 

I know each is unique etc but at least I would be able to know if something is in the ballpark if i find one. 

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. 

Take a flip through those issues sometime. There are a LOT of good pages with characters in costume all over them.

Be patient and put some thought into what is important to you.

• Does the issue/villain matter?  
• Does Wolverine need to be on it?
• Do there need to be heroes in costume?
• Do they need to be using their powers?
• Do classic Claremont themes need to be present?

12 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

while the 2nd run is $2500-5K.

This is stale data, I wish "2500" anywhere for anything except supporting character talking heads ;)

With 2nd run having moved up nicely (for current owners) the last three years from Brian's range to 4-6k: will 2nd hit a natural ceiling as 1st run isn't moving up as fast, or will 1st take another big step up?

10 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Take a flip through those issues sometime. There are a LOT of good pages with characters in costume all over them.

Be patient and put some thought into what is important to you.

• Does the issue/villain matter?  
• Does Wolverine need to be on it?
• Do there need to be heroes in costume?
• Do they need to be using their powers?
• Do classic Claremont themes need to be present?

I have been.. but one bullet point left out is what my budget can handle... so the question becomes how many above points can I sacrifice and still be happy with the piece...

5 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

You probably noted this but Heritage had a few nice pages from 100 recently, they were key Phoenix pages sold ~ $20K each

I saw those. Thanks but I would consider those all a material I would think. So if we establish that as near the top what would a b page from 102 go for or  C page from 105 (just throwing numbers out)

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

This is stale data, I wish "2500" anywhere for anything except supporting character talking heads ;)

With 2nd run having moved up nicely (for current owners) the last three years from Brian's range to 4-6k: will 2nd hit a natural ceiling as 1st run isn't moving up as fast, or will 1st take another big step up?

You raise an interesting question, given the print run on Cockrums second stint was so much higher.  Perhaps more copies = more readers = more folks nostalgic for his second run?

on the other hand, storylines on Cockrum’s second run weren’t as significant to the Xmen myth (IMHO), but that didn’t stop pages from X-Men 150 for selling for a premium.  (shrug)

15 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks Brian. So even a not great maybe out of costume first run I am looking over 10k?

There was a non-costume page just on eBay within the last week or two for like $5900 that I don't think found a buyer (I think it might have originally been listed at like $7900 but I'm pretty sure I saw it come down from that level). 

18 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

There was a non-costume page just on eBay within the last week or two for like $5900 that I don't think found a buyer (I think it might have originally been listed at like $7900 but I'm pretty sure I saw it come down from that level). 

I saw that one, the price has been dropping consistently for a few turns on it now. So i guess we have not hit the floor number yet since it is still sitting there?

Or someone nabs it in the next hour, and there goes the page and the floor.  It's like the OA game of chicken. At some point either the right person comes along and grabs it, or anyone vaguely interested watches it, until it drops enough that someone can't take it anymore and pops for it.

I've seen pieces on eBay for 4 or 5 years in some cases. They eventually all go away one way or another. :)

11 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Or someone nabs it in the next hour, and there goes the page and the floor.  It's like the OA game of chicken. At some point either the right person comes along and grabs it, or anyone vaguely interested watches it, until it drops enough that someone can't take it anymore and pops for it.

I've seen pieces on eBay for 4 or 5 years in some cases. They eventually all go away one way or another. :)

True- i am actually contemplating making an offer on it. but not sure the content will satisfy me as my example...

6 hours ago, vodou said:

I was including talking heads.

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

Avoid placeholders.

Be patient. Good pages are out there.

Better to pay $12k for a page that's worth $12k than to pay $6k for a page that nobody else wants at $6k.

Bingo

8 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I saw those. Thanks but I would consider those all a material I would think. So if we establish that as near the top what would a b page from 102 go for or  C page from 105 (just throwing numbers out)

Hard to tell because people have different definitions of A pages.  For example, the pages from issue 100 were not necessarily A pages (and I got one of them, so I am trying to be objective).  Yes, they are key pages from the Phoenix mythos, but not really Phoenix and no action.  Shall we say A-?

On the other hand, average pages from GS and 94 have gone for 30/35k or so.  But they are sort of outliers?

Anyway,  if  we agree that one A page is a page with powered up Phoenix or Wolverine with claws unsheathed, I would say that would be 30k plus, and a B page is a page with some action and some strong other characters (like Storm, Colossus or Nightcrawler), I would say a B page from 102 on would be 10-15k, maybe even 17.5k.

11 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

Hard to tell because people have different definitions of A pages.  For example, the pages from issue 100 were not necessarily A pages (and I got one of them, so I am trying to be objective).  Yes, they are key pages from the Phoenix mythos, but not really Phoenix and no action.  Shall we say A-?

On the other hand, average pages from GS and 94 have gone for 30/35k or so.  But they are sort of outliers?

Anyway,  if  we agree that one A page is a page with powered up Phoenix or Wolverine with claws unsheathed, I would say that would be 30k plus, and a B page is a page with some action and some strong other characters (like Storm, Colossus or Nightcrawler), I would say a B page from 102 on would be 10-15k, maybe even 17.5k.

The three from X-Men #100 are A pages. From a very famous and nostalgic sequence.