• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Run Cockrum X-men Market?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

The three from X-Men #100 are A pages. From a very famous and nostalgic sequence.

Not a Cockrum collector but I am a fan and pages from issue 100 that Cockrum inked himself should be sold at a premium.  There aren't many of those pages and Cockrum was own best inker, and would be worth more to me (if I collected it).

2 hours ago, robert frey said:

why is that?

I guess I'm thinking about the XM100 end page in particular. It could have gone through the roof.

Hugely significant moment. But 3/4 of the page was done with the color effects in mind. We don't actually get a nice drawing of Jean to look at anywhere on the page.

xmen100.jpg

Edited by J.Sid

4 hours ago, J.Sid said:

I guess I'm thinking about the XM100 end page in particular. It could have gone through the roof.

Hugely significant moment. But 3/4 of the page was done with the color effects in mind. We don't actually get a nice drawing of Jean to look at anywhere on the page.

xmen100.jpg

I love the effect that Dave did, inking and composition are great.

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

As the buyer I obviously love the page.  In fact, the large panel with the "psychedelic" effect was actually a major plus for me.  I think it is very effective (admittedly even more impressive in colour) and inventive, especially with the blurring from Jean's face to the shuttle, which adds to the drama of the situation.  The reader gets both a subjective and external view of the situation...fantastic storytelling.  I also totally love the dialogue and thought balloons on this one.  Great -script by Claremont.  And the top baloons are so dramatic.

Having said that, I can see why some people may be put off by the layout.  So I think the final price was about right, neither a bargain nor a rip off.

27 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

I think the final price was about right, neither a bargain nor a rip off.

I think you did get a lot of bang for your buck with this purchase! Tough to beat the content and the art is pretty rock solid. I was late to appreciate Dave's art but it has steadily grown on me over the years, so much so, that I will probably pick up a 2nd run X-Men piece before all is said and done. Hey I said I like Dave's art, but not at first run prices like it ; )

39 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Page composition and printed images are important, memorable and fantastic. 
I do not think bidding would have stopped at 19k if that  page had been fully inked.

Well, you know what I always say:  More Ink = More Money :idea: