• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 CGC 1.0 Restored Moderate - Sold for 60k?

31 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, intlnews said:

Strange.  I just visited the link and it still shows sold at 60k USD. 80k CAN.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.12.03 PM.png

This has been discussed on these boards before. They've been making changes in the way they report past sales figures for years now, but early last year they removed a lot of the background code in the page source which people used to use to find those figures. This resulted in some third-party tools no longer working, and not all listings will show the figure even with the workaround. If you don't know better, you'd think that's what the item sold for, but in actual fact, there's a best offer amount being hidden from view.

1 hour ago, intlnews said:
2 hours ago, Senormac said:

I cant see anything as rare as a Superman 1 having a Fair Market Value.  It's almost a white elephant and should be worth whatever someone is willing to pay.  I actually think its the same with lots and lots of the GA books.  

There just aren't enough of them around for a buyer to pass when a desired issue comes up in order to wait for the next one. 

However, a book as numerous as a Hulk 181 probably has a FMV attached to it because if you don't want to pay one price, you just go on to the next one. 

So I guess I should hold on to mine a few more years?

Well, it seems to me that the price of a Superman 1 will NEVER go down.  The longer you hang onto it the more you will make when sold.   Another idea might be to fix a price in your mind, like what you believe it will be worth in 2 or 3 years and don't let it go for less than that.  Someone out there is bound to take it off your hands if they like the look of it. 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:28 PM, comicwiz said:
On 2/6/2020 at 6:13 PM, intlnews said:

Strange.  I just visited the link and it still shows sold at 60k USD. 80k CAN.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 9.12.03 PM.png

This has been discussed on these boards before. They've been making changes in the way they report past sales figures for years now, but early last year they removed a lot of the background code in the page source which people used to use to find those figures. This resulted in some third-party tools no longer working, and not all listings will show the figure even with the workaround. If you don't know better, you'd think that's what the item sold for, but in actual fact, there's a best offer amount being hidden from view.

Yes, didn't we have some discussion recently on the boards here as to the possibility that GPA might be picking up the incorrect higher sales figure when it comes to these "hidden" offers being accepted?  ???

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, didn't we have some discussion recently on the boards here as to the possibility that GPA might be picking up the incorrect higher sales figure when it comes to these "hidden" offers being accepted?  ???

Yes, I believe that's how it was rehashed. In fairness though, it's not just GPA. Beyond the issues it presents to pricing tools that reference sites like feeBay, it's the contextual dishonesty I'm seeing with people cherry-picking these "hidden offer" sales as a way to "move the market" on items.

Edited by comicwiz

Hi all. Interesting subject.. I just picked up a coverless superman 1 yesterday.  It's missing the first 2 wraps. But other than that a solid book. Pages strong overall. I would think. This still would be hard to get. And desirable right? And price point wise still a premium?. I see the one on ebay now. That coverless NG. Missing a few wraps. That one looks beat... does that even matter. On page quality.  Based on that book?.