• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed Comic? Batman #237 Reaper cover

16 posts in this topic

I had a potentially trimmed comic. I measured edges and compared then compared dimensions with comics that were definitely not trimmed (according to CGC Dealer. Inside edge of the back cover was 1/16” smaller than outside edge, so may have been trimmed (inside pages were not affected). Front cover passed tests, so was not trimmed. If this approach is flawed, I’d love some feedback!

32 minutes ago, RLR001 said:

I had a potentially trimmed comic. I measured edges and compared then compared dimensions with comics that were definitely not trimmed (according to CGC Dealer. Inside edge of the back cover was 1/16” smaller than outside edge, so may have been trimmed (inside pages were not affected). Front cover passed tests, so was not trimmed. If this approach is flawed, I’d love some feedback!

Although size deficiency when measured can signal a tell that warrants a closer inspection, the size itself, or relation in size to other books of the same era, even comparisons to others of the same issue, is not conclusive. Size alone is only one component and not definitive in determining trim. Only the edge itself and the overall symmetry of the cover and page edges is crucial in determining trim and not how the whole sizes next to something else as no two books picked out of a pile at random will be exactly the same size when measured across a number of planes, top to bottom, or side to side. .

Edited by James J Johnson

I agree with the opinions of my fellow board members. I see tiny imperfections on the top edge of the cover which would be one of the characteristics of an untrimmed book. The right edge of the book looks even less suspicious. This book appears to be normal and untrimmed. 

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Although size deficiency when measured can signal a tell that warrants a closer inspection, the size itself, or relation in size to other books of the same era, even comparisons to others of the same issue, is not conclusive. Size alone is only one component and not definitive in determining trim. Only the edge itself and the overall symmetry of the cover and page edges is crucial in determining trim.

This, 100%.  

On 2/6/2020 at 6:49 PM, greengroblin said:

The bottom half of the book skews outward slightly and is definitely wider as you look down the right side. It has been driving me nuts because the foxing looks normal and seems consistent all the way down the edge of the comic.

Thanks for having a look!

Please bear in mind that most trimmed books are trimmed with the idea of making them look better, not worse...  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, RLR001 said:

Bummer, I thought I had a foolproof approach! I will try to post pics of comic that is considered trimmed later today. To my albeit untrained eye, it doesn’t “look” trimmed. Thanks for the feedback!

It's tough to find a truly foolproof method; it's more a combination of different things to look for and a gut instinct that something doesn't seem right. What really helps develop this instinct is to look at as many books as you can, both trimmed and untrimmed. Fun and educational... 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

It's tough to find a truly foolproof method; it's more a combination of different things to look for and a gut instinct that something doesn't seem right. What really helps develop this instinct is to look at as many books as you can, both trimmed and untrimmed. Fun and educational... 

+1   Once you handle countless thousands of comics that have been stored or warehoused for decades, books never before in the hands of a hobby retailer, you gain an innate sense of when one shuffles by and "it's not like the others". The edges slightly different, or just looks and feels different than the others in the batch produced on the same machinery. Like a quality control assembly line for anything. Fruit, screwdrivers, bottled liquids, etc., etc.. Handle untold numbers or have them pass by you and when "one of these things is not like the others", you pull it off the line and either discard or take a closer look. The key is experience, seeing what is expected and catching inconsistencies.

15 hours ago, RLR001 said:

Ugh, I will never look at enough books to develop your level of expertise. I have looked at exactly 280 comics closely and will likely never see another one. I am an unintended collector of comics.

Look through the back issue bins or even the bargain bins of your LCS or even through the boxes of dealer stock at a show. Or buy a collection or dealer lot. Even a cheap one. Say low grade books of little value. The value will be in training your eyes and perception of "that's normal" versus "that's not, this one stands out" when you shuffle or sort through them! (thumbsu