• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with E-Gerber Fullbacks

7 posts in this topic

Is anyone else having problems with E-Gerber Fullbacks? I have bought probably 600 or so over the past month as I really like their sturdiness. However, Ive noticed that they are coming concave (see attached pictures). Ive just recently notice that they are starting to put stress on the spines of some of my comics at the highest point of the bend. Is this how they have always come? Ive never ordered them before this year but Im really thinking about contacting them because this has to be a problem. Is anyone else running into this issue.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_3642.thumb.jpg.34f316e14bec0596c26befe0b50b460c.jpgIMG_3641.thumb.jpg.43952602dea41fc3cf59df44482393f7.jpgIMG_3640.thumb.jpg.2209e139580f24612c14631de682ac4e.jpgIMG_3639.thumb.jpg.7408e80a77d863dd0b544f894be9ee09.jpg

I have a similar issue with my acid free at time of manufacture boards, most local LCSs use Southern Hobby.

However, for me it's more environmental than anything. If I leave my boards out in the humidity for a few days they will become convex. My corrective measure is to keep them bagged until ready to use and pressed down under a stack of books. Or bag them all up in one sitting and store them flat in a box top. Hope it helps in the interim. 

I gently straighten them. 

I grab about four to five at a time and work them back and forth until they are flat. 

I also straighten any imperfections on the corner using a bone folder and cheap backing board, usually pushing from the interior corner, out.

I then take an M2, and gently fold the flap down with a bone folder, creating a hard crease.

I then put the FBs in M2s, and seal the flap down with a Post-It flag, and squeeze the air out.

I usually do up 25 - 50 sets of these at a time, and usually once all this is done, they are pretty flat.

But you can do as oldmilwaukee6er states above, place them under some books to further flatten.

On a side note, I use halfbacks for my cheaper and/or modern stuff.  I used to buy the Bill Cole thin-x-tenders, but those things were the worse for curvaceousness, and expense.  I now order the halfbacks from EGerber in sets of 2000, and they end up cheaper than buying the acidic boards you get at your average comic shop.

Yeah, I was able to bend them back. Kind of feel stupid that i didn't think about this before. What i was originally trying to do was take like 25 and put them under a flat surface with a lot of weight on top and that didn't work. Once i figured out that I should just do one at a time and bend them in my hand, I was good. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I have also got this happening with all of the full backs which I have recently ordered.  I have been doubling them up in a mylite 2 having the concave ends face each other in order to flaten them out and add more stiffness to the board.  Other than costing more, is there any disadvantage to this solution?

I've never had a problem with my Fullbacks until the last batch I ordered which appears to be visibly less thick (and somewhat flimsier) than usual. Every so often I've had to gently straighten a handful of fullbacks but in this case there's a noticeable difference to the naked eye, the interior brown pressed cardboard us thinner. It was one package out of three. I've never used halfbacks so I wonder if it was a batch of them with the wrong packaging or a quality control issue.

Can anyone speak to the general number of halfback versus fullbacks that can fit in the average shortbox? If those were halfback they were sturdy enough for reader copies and it would be nice to consolidate space if so.

ETA: I tried your idea if doubling up two fullbacks in one mylite 2. I think it could work for a lot of moderns or thinner comics but I'd worry about any thicker issues it putting too much stress or tightness, especially near any staples over time.

Edited by L.E. Gill