• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Idea Comics

53 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Unsustainable.

Edited by WoWitHurts
Spelling

How many copies of any given book would they sell in those 20 shops (the only distribution)? 10? 20? More?

I would say 20 is optimistic but at 20 x 20 shops = 400 issues sold per single issue. But let me say they sell 2000 single issue comics @ $4 cover price. $8000 gross and at a 50/50 split with the stores. $4000 comes back to the company.

Costs. Line Art, Inks, Colors, letters. Low estimates would be $120/$100/$75/$30 or $325 per page. They say perfect bound books so I will say conservatively a page count of 40 pages. $325 x 40 = $13000 for a single comic.

If they just print the 2000 issues sold an estimate cost for printing is $3500

That's ($16500) - $4000 = ($12500) in the hole for every single issue comic. Not including any overhead or shipping costs from the printer or to the stores.

3 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

How many copies of any given book would they sell in those 20 shops (the only distribution)? 10? 20? More?

I would say 20 is optimistic but at 20 x 20 shops = 400 issues sold per single issue. But let me say they sell 2000 single issue comics @ $4 cover price. $8000 gross and at a 50/50 split with the stores. $4000 comes back to the company.

Costs. Line Art, Inks, Colors, letters. Low estimates would be $120/$100/$75/$30 or $325 per page. They say perfect bound books so I will say conservatively a page count of 40 pages. $325 x 40 = $13000 for a single comic.

If they just print the 2000 issues sold an estimate cost for printing is $3500

That's ($16500) - $4000 = ($12500) in the hole for every single issue comic. Not including any overhead or shipping costs from the printer or to the stores.

They didn't say perfect bound. I'm assuming prestige format will be the same format as Valiant's prestige format, since that's where most of the people involved came from.

I don't know how many they'll actually get out there, but I fully expect that there will be more than enough interested buyers (considering the quality of the creators involved) unless they purposely overprint, but that seems unlikely, considering they want to limit purchases to one-per-customer, so there shouldn't be any significant volume left to return.

Considering that there are ties to a television/movie production company as well, I imagine that adaptations will be another stream of revenue for the creators involved.

I don't know what their definition of prestige format is. I remember when Dark Knight came out people were calling it Dark Knight format. Of course Marvel isn't going to call it that so they called that format Prestige format. It may mean something else, I don't follow Valiant.

1 minute ago, FormerReader said:

I don’t think this is a permanent business model. I think they are trying to drive people into stores. They’ve already said within a year they’ll expand to 50 shops.

Best of luck to them I wish them well. 

3 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I don't know what their definition of prestige format is. I remember when Dark Knight came out people were calling it Dark Knight format. Of course Marvel isn't going to call it that so they called that format Prestige format. It may mean something else, I don't follow Valiant.

If you're familiar with Valiant, then think of what they did for Divinity, Book of Death, Secret Weapons, or Savage. Higher quality cover stock with a soft touch finish.

2 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

Seems like they got the name of the company right   :devil:

Sounds like Bad Idea is creating it's own regional scarcity due to limited distribution with their comics in perhaps 1 location in Canada and 1 location in the UK,  or all 20 in the USA until they :juggle: expand to 50 comic shops of distribution.

I like this part:

"Bad Idea’s series will feature no variants, will not be released digitally, and “will not be collected into trade paperbacks, hardcovers, or other bookshelf formats” – the company will only produce single-issue comics and only sold in comic book stores."

But the rest just sounds like a......BAD IDEA  

sheldon-no.gif

On 2/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, Deadpoolica said:

Seems like they got the name of the company right   :devil:

Yep. Sounds like a....Bad Idea! But, you don't know unless you try. Who knows, it might be a monumental success.

Boy, that Megalith title looks like a rip-off A Ellis' Trees (And of Geiger aesthetics).

1 hour ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Yep. Sounds like a....Bad Idea! But, you don't know unless you try. Who knows, it might be a monumental success.

Boy, that Megalith title looks like a rip-off A Ellis' Trees (And of Geiger aesthetics).

They've released a single image and you've concluded already that they're ripping off two specific things?