• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Thor 150 is bound Backwards
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I was taking a bunch of pics for my ebay auctions and ran across this interesting THOR 150.

The insides have been stapled in backwards, so my Splash page is the centerfold and my centerfold is the Splash page.

These are always fun to find.  Of course now I'm not sure what to do with it.  Should I just sell it as is, or can I get a premium for it?

1.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

I was the one that posted the same issue with the Strange Tales #113.  Is the Thor #150 readable?  Meaning could a non-comic person read it and not realize anything was wrong with it?  If so, there could be plenty of the misprints just no one caught it.  The Strange Tales #113 reads fine, just has the stories in the wrong order.  My question was who to contact to verify the error and try to determine how many of them were printed.  If the error is documented and rare, it might well sell for a premium.  Collectors shell out extra bucks for double (or more) covers all the time and that is a printer/bindery error.  However, if no one knows it is rare misprint then it probably only has curiosity value. 

If you have any ideas on how to research something like that, let me know.

11 hours ago, Dan'el said:

Is the Thor #150 readable?  Meaning could a non-comic person read it and not realize anything was wrong with it? 

My Thor 150 had a longer "main" story than your St 113, so no... the last page of mine says "Continued after next page" and then you turn the page and it's the back cover :whatthe:.

Then you have to go back to the front of the comic and the story finishes 2 pages in.

1.jpg

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My Thor 150 had a longer "main" story than your St 113, so no... the last page of mine says "Continued after next page" and then you turn the page and it's the back cover :whatthe:.

Then you have to go back to the front of the comic and the story finishes 2 pages in.

Unlike the ST 113, which is perfectly readable, it seems like your comic would have been spotted pretty quickly.  I took a quick spin through the 'net and did not find any reference to an error with that book so, chances are, there are not many out there.  Error comics typically sell for a premium but that is only if collectors know about the error.  Goofs like this may have had only a handful released.  Sadly, that may mean they are so rare they are essentially worthless.  If there was some way to get the error "officially" documented (by Marvel or some other comic authority) that could be a game changer.  I do not have a clue as to how to go about getting that done.         

On 2/6/2020 at 11:46 PM, Dan'el said:

Is the Thor #150 readable?  Meaning could a non-comic person read it and not realize anything was wrong with it? 

Now that is opening up the sensitive questions about moms everywhere who have driven up the value of comics for decades.  You don't need to read it. "It is, therefore, everything's wrong with it."

22 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Nice catch!  The FF is the focus of my collection (I am building a website for it) so I picked that comic up to add to it.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Dan'el said:

Given that we have now identified three of these errors it is possible this is an unidentified systemic print error.  I started a topic to that effect in the grading forum.  Maybe we can get some more feedback there.

As info

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/463943-systemic-print-error-identified-by-cgc-board-members/

I believe, just like the bindery machines attach 2 covers every once in a while.... they also attach the insides backwards sometimes.  It's just one of those things that happens.

I do believe though, that double covers are more common than this error.

By the way.... we need a name for this error.  "Inside out interior"?, "Backwards binding"?, what should this be called?

11 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I believe, just like the bindery machines attach 2 covers every once in a while.... they also attach the insides backwards sometimes.  It's just one of those things that happens.

I do believe though, that double covers are more common than this error.

By the way.... we need a name for this error.  "Inside out interior"?, "Backwards binding"?, what should this be called?

Double covers are fairly common.  I had one with 5 covers once.  Got a few hundred on eBay for that one. 

I agree about the name.  I vote for "reverse wrapped" since the pages are assembled in reverse order.