• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best way to save money on bulk submissions?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi.  I'm Mike and I am a virtual newbie to the grading world.   I chose CGC after doing some research because they seem to be the best in the business.    My wife and I have a small business where we source items from various auctions, estate sales and other places, and then sell on eBay, Amazon and many other places.   We've dived head first into the Comic Book arena.   So far, we have more than 600 vintage comic books, from the 1950's and up.   We would like to get them all graded since it appears to significantly increase the selling price and also to start our personal collection.   Based on what we have seen thus far, it cost about $35.00 for grading and we are not sure if that includes the case/holder.    We have spent $300.00 to sign up for the Elite level, since there are discounts involved.    We'd like to know if there are any additional discounts or a truly cost effective way to significantly save money on bulk discounts.   If this has been addressed previously, please accept our apology.   Or if there is a section on the CGC website explaining bulk discount pricing, please point us in the right direction.  We'd truly appreciate it. Thanks.

The grading cost includes the slab but vary based on tier, which is a combination of age and value.

Unfortunately there aren't any bulk discount.

Your best bet might be the pre screen service.

I think for return shipping, 25 sounds like a better deal, from what I’ve hears

On 2/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, The Assortment said:

So far, we have more than 600 vintage comic books, from the 1950's and up.   We would like to get them all graded

I doubt all 600 comics are worthy of being graded. 

• Administrator

@The Assortment If you plan to submit about 100 or more items over the course of a year I would suggest the elite membership tier. With a paid membership you can submit coins, comics, and paper money (may be beneficial for your line of work) directly to our headquarters as well as at events we are attending. You will also receive a discount, varies by company, of 10%-15% on submissions.

For CGC submissions, I would suggest submitting in batches of 25 on the same grading tier as that is the maximum number of graded books per shipment. If the books are of various tiers they will be split onto separate submissions and will incur additional shipping fees. You can elect to have all books graded or you can select the prescreen service below which can provide additional savings for those that are too low to grade. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen/

• Administrator

@TTV Norman CU We have 3 different levels of membership which may benefit our collectors depending on their submission volume. To clarify for ALL future readers of the thread (not just the one in question), I broke down the estimated cut off for maximizing the elite membership benefits. When searching google for submission questions the chat boards pop up on occasion and it helps to have this information available. 

Estimated Volume per tier to maximize benefits (Discount)

Associate 1-5

Premium 6-50

Elite 50+

• Administrator

@TTV Norman CU Thank you for continuing to quote the original post for those that may have missed it.

I prefer that we stay on topic to assist with the newbie questions as some are eager to learn about our services. The first section of my original post was a generalization for those who may need help on choosing a membership tier. The second section covered the OP's question and I hope it can offer some insight on how to increase savings on larger submissions.

Lets play nice on the boards to ensure a lengthy stay. :wink:

15 hours ago, Matt G said:

@TTV Norman CU Thank you for continuing to quote the original post for those that may have missed it.

I prefer that we stay on topic to assist with the newbie questions as some are eager to learn about our services. The first section of my original post was a generalization for those who may need help on choosing a membership tier. The second section covered the OP's question and I hope it can offer some insight on how to increase savings on larger submissions.

Lets play nice on the boards to ensure a lengthy stay. :wink:

Sadly, that is not something that Stu was/is interested in.

I'm sure that the information you shared will be beneficial to someone.