• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Who doesn't love ROM?

86 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Thundercats was a comic?

Was there a MoTU comic other than the minis that came with the early figures? I mean, there were comics for that, but i don't remember any on the spinners. Their success was all about the cartoons.

Thundercats had a reasonably successful comic series (24 issues), and it had a UK series as well.

MOTU had a 13-issue series under the STAR brand and DC also had one (3 issues). DC also had the DC Comic Presents Superman vs He-Man.

Edited by comicwiz

9 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

There is if you keep a bunch of them, particularly the collectors who have bred different color variations.

Nerdy isn't the word I'd use for that. I'd go a fair bit harsher, personally.
Sorry for the OT!

7 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Thundercats had a reasonably successful comic series (24 issues), and it had a UK series as well.

MOTU had a 13-issue series under the STAR brand and DC also had one (3 issues). DC also had the DC Comic Presents Superman vs He-Man.

Yeah, so I can see why that didn't make Gene's list. Hah!

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Nerdy isn't the word I'd use for that. I'd go a fair bit harsher, personally.
Sorry for the OT!

That’s okay. I once took my youngest son to a reptile  and amphibian show where they had this stuff for sale. There was actually someone selling a young Galapagos tortoise there (how that’s lawful is beyond me). And you think this stuff is nerdy? 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That’s okay. I once took my youngest son to a reptile  and amphibian show where they had this stuff for sale. There was actually someone selling a young Galapagos tortoise there (how that’s lawful is beyond me). And you think this stuff is nerdy? 

That doesn't sound right. I took a photo beside one when we visited the Galapagos. It was awhile back, but if I remember correctly it was 150 years old.

14 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That doesn't sound right. I took a photo beside one when we visited the Galapagos. It was awhile back, but if I remember correctly it was 150 years old.

Yes, they can reach or exceed 150 years old. What I saw was a youngster, with a shell, as I recall, of about 16 inches in length. In a demented sort of way, it was cute because it was so curious of its surroundings. Not what you would expect just seeing the adults. 

With that said, I thought they were a protected species which were not for sale to private people in order to encourage zoo breeding. 

You would be nuts to own one casually by the way. They like to dig holes and lie in water or mud while enjoying warming sun. They also need a good sized space to crawl around. Not house friendly.

29 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Yes, they can reach or exceed 150 years old. What I saw was a youngster, with a shell, as I recall, of about 16 inches in length. In a demented sort of way, it was cute because it was so curious of its surroundings. Not what you would expect just seeing the adults. 

With that said, I thought they were a protected species which were not for sale to private people in order to encourage zoo breeding. 

You would be nuts to own one casually by the way. They like to dig holes and lie in water or mud while enjoying warming sun. They also need a good sized space to crawl around. Not house friendly.

I can't see anyone being able to walk out of the sanctuary with one, but when we visited, I noticed a lot of contradictions with the way eco tours were run. So I'd say it's probable some black market exists, but more likely not legally acquired or a snake oil pitch. For instance, for a place that is supposed to have a protected reserve area, I found the marine transportation to be very poor, and the amount of pollution they were causing running people around from island to island, was heartbreaking. I had to ask to disembark from one because the black smoke coming out from the engine was just brutal. They let me and my wife off (who was pregnant with our first child) and they picked-up another 30 people in a boat designed to only carry half that amount. Unfortunately, it's a place that people want to visit because of the unique and diverse plant and animal life but they also seem to be placing tourism revenue as a higher priority than preserving their environment. This is a screenshot from an old Facebook share - we were there in 2005

image.png.d29cfcaa2f9e92f6ed3cc44b8c9a160d.png

Edited by comicwiz

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I can't see anyone being able to walk out of the sanctuary with one, but when we visited, I noticed a lot of contradictions with the way eco tours were run. So I'd say it's probable some black market exists, but more likely not legally acquired or a snake oil pitch. For instance, for a place that is supposed to have a protected reserve area, I found the marine transportation to be very poor, and the amount of pollution they were causing running people around from island to island, was heartbreaking. I had to ask to disembark from one because the black smoke coming out from the engine was just brutal. They let me and my wife off (who was pregnant with our first child) and they picked-up another 30 people in a boat designed to only carry half that amount. Unfortunately, it's a place that people want to visit because of the unique and diverse plant and animal life but they also seem to be placing tourism revenue as a higher priority than preserving their environment. This is a screenshot from an old Facebook share - we were there in 2005

image.png.d29cfcaa2f9e92f6ed3cc44b8c9a160d.png

I doubt it was stolen from the wild. My guess is there is a captive breeding program, or programs, but I still didn’t think they could be privately owned.

On 2/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Good Grief!  I thought collecting Comic Art was just about as nerdy as it can get, but this thread has proven me wrong :facepalm:

Oh no, must not have meet many coin collectors have you? Compared to those guys were positively the “cool kids”. When I walk a coin show versus a comic (or comic art show for that matter) I have  zero doubt which collecting brand is nerdier....zero...

11 hours ago, RBerman said:

I have a friend who collects postcards. There are so many niche fandoms.

And there’s a niche hobby that will die this decade - I’ve been to shows that had postcards in the last 20 years - the demographics of seller and buyer average about 70+ or - 5yrs and Anglo. More than half the dealers and buyers I’ve ever seen are now dead. All the stamp collectors I ever knew are in fact dead. 

2 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

And there’s a niche hobby that will die this decade - I’ve been to shows that had postcards in the last 20 years - the demographics of seller and buyer average about 70+ or - 5yrs and Anglo. More than half the dealers and buyers I’ve ever seen are now dead. All the stamp collectors I ever knew are in fact dead. 

Yes, my friend is in that demographic.

1 hour ago, thethedew said:

Mike Burkey is in the process of breaking up the pages for ROM # 32.

Your ROM #3 is now the Last Complete Issue of ROM, Spaceknight. :facepalm:

Please keep it that way.

Which reminds me of the time when several of those Rom books were sold for the first time in 2002. I had the chance to pick up early complete Rom stories including the annual with the X-Men back then but my interest was and still is in his Hulk art. So I passed at the Rom art....hmmm..