• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Who doesn't love ROM?

86 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Eelco said:

Which reminds me of the time when several of those Rom books were sold for the first time in 2002. I had the chance to pick up early complete Rom stories including the annual with the X-Men back then but my interest was and still is in his Hulk art. So I passed at the Rom art....hmmm..

I enjoyed the ROM series when it was new but when it comes to art, Sal's Hulk art always wins out over ROM (and pretty much anything else). 

3 hours ago, thethedew said:

Mike Burkey is in the process of breaking up the pages for ROM # 32.

Your ROM #3 is now the Last Complete Issue of ROM, Spaceknight. :facepalm:

Please keep it that way.

That makes me sad. Not to pick on Mike in particular; he's not doing anything unusual. People behave as they are incentivized to behave. But I regret the financial/cultural reality that rewards the splitting of the work. 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, rsonenthal said:

ROM is definitely one of my guilty pleasures.  A comic based on a toy that was never really successful?  Really? 

Yes.

ROM was a Parker Brothers toy that had red LED eyes that lit up.  At the time (1979), it was considered cutting edge and even made the cover of TIME magazine. In spite of that, it wasn’t really successful in the marketplace.  At Bill Mantlo’s urging, MARVEL made a play for the comic rights and then Bill created an entire backstory for the space knight from Galador.  Sal Buscema handled the art chores and established ROM’s look and feel. 

The comic outlasted the toy, running for some 75 issues.  The world that Bill Mantlo created contained not just ROM, but also the Dire Wraiths, the balance of the Space knight corps, and concerned human authorities who didn’t understand that ROM was there to protect them.  Seriously, it was good stuff.

Anyway, when I came across the opportunity to purchase the entire third issue, I jumped on it.  I’m a sucker for complete stories and am thrilled to have such an early example.

The link:   http://cafurl.com?i=24301

As always, feel free to look around at anything else that looks interesting.

Ron

I am 100% with you here. My age was 12ish when I discovered ROM and bought and devoured issues #1 to about 25 - then I guess I just became to "cool" for kiddie comics. But now later in life, I have never forgotten the very cool premise of his story and I just recently finished collecting the whole run (including annuals), plus a beauty 9.8 first issue  ( my original is a solid 7.5-ish). Also, Catskill Comics was recently selling OA pages from the first few issues, I was late to the game to get a page from issue #1 but did score the last page of issue #2 - AND I have Sal working on a cover commission as we speak ......

I'll post some of the above a bit later today.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, RBerman said:

That makes me sad. Not to pick on Mike in particular; he's not doing anything unusual. People behave as they are incentivized to behave. But I regret the financial/cultural reality that rewards the splitting of the work. 

Yeah it's sad, reminds me when I saw some John Romita Spider-man drawing for trading cards drawn on standard boards at auction. I later saw them on sale and cutup to be sold individually. At least it means people might be able to afford a nice page and can always hope someone is willing to try and put them back together later on.

10 hours ago, fishbone said:

I am 100% with you here. My age was 12ish when I discovered ROM and bought and devoured issues #1 to about 25 - then I guess I just became to "cool" for kiddie comics. But now later in life, I have never forgotten the very cool premise of his story and I just recently finished collecting the whole run (including annuals), plus a beauty 9.8 first issue  ( my original is a solid 7.5-ish). Also, Catskill Comics was recently selling OA pages from the first few issues, I was late to the game to get a page from issue #1 but did score the last page of issue #2 - AND I have Sal working on a cover commission as we speak ......

I'll post some of the above a bit later today.

Here they are :

4A1E0D65-9F44-479F-BE64-46754220B38C.jpeg

BF2FFA73-0187-476E-8BC7-57F62CC04973.jpeg

8B3330BD-2975-47FE-9959-5220E88A096D.jpeg

6108D288-CB49-487A-A6F6-603738FE3A4C.jpeg