• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed deciding what to grade

12 posts in this topic

Hi. Long time lurker first time poster. I'm quite new to collecting graded comics and my collection is pretty small at the moment. So far I've got a couple of the Resident Evil Marvel one shots from 96, a signed Witcher Stan Sakai variant, a Max Payne #1 and a full 1988 dark horse Aliens set (6 issues)

Last night I met with a collector in my town and bought myself some comics. I need some help in deciding what i should see about getting graded for future potential value and preservation. I mostly bought because of cool art work but if any of these have potential i'd appreciate the help in deciding.Pics should be attached but they're all in excellent condition

I have:

Punisher #1
Cabel #1
The New Mutants #1
2 Deadpool #1 comics (different covers)
Power Man and Iron Fist #50
Hulk and the Sub-Mariner #91
The new Teen Titans - Tales of Cyborg #1
The Ray #1

My prev

IMG_0014_1.jpg

IMG_0022_1.jpg

IMG_0021_1.jpg

IMG_0020_1.jpg

IMG_0019_1.jpg

IMG_0018_1.jpg

IMG_0017_1.jpg

IMG_0016_1.jpg

IMG_0015_1.jpg

Here's how most people decide to submit I think, if value is the key component.

1.  Grade your books.  If you need help with this, take some good pics and post them in the "Please Grade My Comic" subforum here on the boards.  If you want to learn, buy an Overstreet guide and learn the standards. 

2.  Check out ebay for the price range your books might sell for in their current raw condition based on the grades.  Make sure you factor in fees, taxes, shipping, other selling expenses.  Using "SOLD" prices is generally better.

3.  Look up prices for CGC'd books in those same grades.  Using SOLD prices is generally better, you can do ebay searches OR there's a service (not free) called GPA that tracks CGC sales you can use which has more data.

4.  Go to the CGC website and figure out how much grading your comics will be, including shipping, tax, invoice fees, possibly pressing, insurance, etc.

5.  Do the math comparisons, see if its worth it to you. Make sure you factor in risk of not getting the right grade, opportunity cost of investment money, turnover time, your own confidence in your grading abilities, your own financial situations and preferences.

Of course this sounds like a lot of work, but the more you do it, it becomes natural pretty quickly.

Also, generally, for YOUR bronze and modern books, you should not even CONSIDER getting them graded unless they are flawless. 

First, I hope you didn’t pay the price of the sticker on some of those comics. If so, ouch. 

Second, total of what you have there barely exceeds $150 if that. Grading any of those will just protect but I don’t see a single issue other than the Tales to Astonish worth grading. If the TTA comes back 8.0 or better that’s worth it otherwise you should keep these raw. Several of them are dollar to five dollar books

On 2/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, comicginger1789 said:

First, I hope you didn’t pay the price of the sticker on some of those comics. If so, ouch. 

Oh god no, didn’t pay sticker prices on these! I’m not insane but the last owner clearly was. 
Just a few I picked up on the cheap and was curious about them. Think I’ll hold off on this batch and just stash them up

Edited by Rive

personally I wouldn't grade any except maybe TTA one and maybe the Deadpool 1 as its his first appearance in his own issue I think... 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, revat said:

Here's how most people decide to submit I think, if value is the key component.

1.  Grade your books.  If you need help with this, take some good pics and post them in the "Please Grade My Comic" subforum here on the boards.  If you want to learn, buy an Overstreet guide and learn the standards. 

2.  Check out ebay for the price range your books might sell for in their current raw condition based on the grades.  Make sure you factor in fees, taxes, shipping, other selling expenses.  Using "SOLD" prices is generally better.

3.  Look up prices for CGC'd books in those same grades.  Using SOLD prices is generally better, you can do ebay searches OR there's a service (not free) called GPA that tracks CGC sales you can use which has more data.

4.  Go to the CGC website and figure out how much grading your comics will be, including shipping, tax, invoice fees, possibly pressing, insurance, etc.

5.  Do the math comparisons, see if its worth it to you. Make sure you factor in risk of not getting the right grade, opportunity cost of investment money, turnover time, your own confidence in your grading abilities, your own financial situations and preferences.

Of course this sounds like a lot of work, but the more you do it, it becomes natural pretty quickly.

Also, generally, for YOUR bronze and modern books, you should not even CONSIDER getting them graded unless they are flawless. 

Revat, also a newbie and in the process of selling my books. Great info in your response.

One question, why would a person not even consider grading their Bronze books?

1 hour ago, Craigsss said:

Revat, also a newbie and in the process of selling my books. Great info in your response.

One question, why would a person not even consider grading their Bronze books?

Oh I meant the OP’s bronze books shouldn’t even consider grading unless perfect.

my sentence was confusing in my original post