• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Pulp Books & References
4 4

111 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, PopKulture said:

That would be sad news for many of us that have enjoyed pulps for decades. The influx of speculative money will no doubt chase many of the old-timers out of the hobby. Only my heirs will cheer such news. (shrug)

Exactly, I love how affordable pulps are compared to similar era comics.  I'd hate to see a speculative price hike.  

Although I'm always paranoid a pulp I'm bidding on is a replica trying to be passed off as the real thing.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

Maybe so.  At any rate, I suspect it's all moot.  For reasons already cited, I don't see pulps being slabbed.  Not everything can be slabbed-- they aren't going to do hardback books either.  In fact, I can foresee vintage paperbacks being slabbed before pulps ever are (and it's even unlikely for them).  So interesting from a speculation standpoint, but probably not a real concern.  BTW -- nice looking ad! 

If PB prices rise, they will start slabbing of those also, especially if a new price guide comes out.....

Edited by Mmehdy

11 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If PB prices rise, they will start slabbing of those also, especially if a new price guide comes out.....

Already working on it... but not with the diligence I did the pulp guide(s).  In fact, at this rate, a pb guide would probably be 10 years away (and it may be too massive to publish anyway... I think I've already compiled 1500 pages of data and/or place-holder lines.

Already working on it... but not with the diligence I did the pulp guide(s).  In fact, at this rate, a pb guide would probably be 10 years away (and it may be too massive to publish anyway... I think I've already compiled 1500 pages of data and/or place-holder lines.

If you do it, I am buying it....could you maybe limit the size by making a minimum value in order to be placed in the guide...just a thought

What ever happened to Jon Warren? His paperback guide was the best of the old ones imho. Maybe the data was preserved and could be purchased and converted? It could save someone a lot of work.

5 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If you do it, I am buying it....could you maybe limit the size by making a minimum value in order to be placed in the guide...just a thought

Yes, and that would be easy enough to do.  But then it would have, in content, pretty much what previous guides have had.  I'm a completist... my goal is to show ALL of the printings and cover variances up through at least a certain cover-price cut-off or time period.  Most paperbacks aren't that expensive, so the main goal would be to have a more complete set of data than previously available.  In theory, anyway.

8 hours ago, Bookery said:

Yes, and that would be easy enough to do.  But then it would have, in content, pretty much what previous guides have had.  I'm a completist... my goal is to show ALL of the printings and cover variances up through at least a certain cover-price cut-off or time period.  Most paperbacks aren't that expensive, so the main goal would be to have a more complete set of data than previously available.  In theory, anyway.

In the case of many of the 50's books by authors like Erskine Caldwell, the later printings have better cover designs, so I can appreciate where you're coming from. (thumbsu

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

In the case of many of the 50's books by authors like Erskine Caldwell, the later printings have better cover designs, so I can appreciate where you're coming from. (thumbsu

Exactly.  Previous guides concentrated on the 1st printings... especially if the number didn't change.  But it might be the 6th printing of a Pocket Book that has the classic cover, not the 1st.  Later printings may exhibit a movie tie-in cover.  There are also title-block and design changes that are interesting, even if the core art remains the same, etc. 

On 2/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, Bookery said:

I think it's appropriate to promote one's new publication here (if not, the Mods can move it).  The new Bookery Guide to Pulps has just been released (first one in 15 years!).  This is published by Ivy Press and can be ordered through Heritage Auctions here (https://www.ha.com/information/bookery-guide-to-pulps-related-magazines.s?type=surl-bookery).  Heritage did a great job on the look and internal design, much improved over previous editions.  I also made some improvements to the layout of the listings, which should make it easier to locate specific issues, and there are new paragraphs describing most of the pulp titles.  This is the culmination of about 30 years of work, so for better or worse, it's here (finally).

Pulp Guide Cover 2020.jpg

Great looking book cover! I always wondered what some of the most valuable pulps where worth , and which issuesthey were🤔🤔

On 2/8/2020 at 1:16 PM, Bookery said:

Maybe so.  At any rate, I suspect it's all moot.  For reasons already cited, I don't see pulps being slabbed.  Not everything can be slabbed-- they aren't going to do hardback books either.  In fact, I can foresee vintage paperbacks being slabbed before pulps ever are (and it's even unlikely for them).  So interesting from a speculation standpoint, but probably not a real concern.  BTW -- nice looking ad! 

Tim,

Total agreement with probability of not slabbing, especially with overhangs.  However it would not surprise me if they tried to slab a few that are factory trimmed.  However, whenever money is at state, there’s always a chance.  
If slabbing would ever come in, the same thing will happen as in the early 2000s, when at that time the Yakima craze hit for year or two, comic guys jumped in, prices jumped, long time pulp collectors who are the backbone of the hobby..... well some dropped out.   Then of course there wasn’t enough supply and demand For the comic collectors, and they got out because they constantly need to feed the habit,   Comic collectors went to sell their pulps and couldn’t get close to the price they paid for it, and the market took a hit. I’ve seen it before.

Edited by detective35DF

On 2/7/2020 at 10:28 AM, Bookery said:

I think it's appropriate to promote one's new publication here (if not, the Mods can move it).  The new Bookery Guide to Pulps has just been released (first one in 15 years!).  This is published by Ivy Press and can be ordered through Heritage Auctions here (https://www.ha.com/information/bookery-guide-to-pulps-related-magazines.s?type=surl-bookery).  Heritage did a great job on the look and internal design, much improved over previous editions.  I also made some improvements to the layout of the listings, which should make it easier to locate specific issues, and there are new paragraphs describing most of the pulp titles.  This is the culmination of about 30 years of work, so for better or worse, it's here (finally).

Pulp Guide Cover 2020.jpg

Congratulations! Thank you so much for all of your hard work & research. It looks fantastic & I can't wait to purchase a copy.

5 hours ago, Supernerd said:

Congratulations! Thank you so much for all of your hard work & research. It looks fantastic & I can't wait to purchase a copy.

Thanks Supernerd, and everyone, for the kind words of support.  Of course, I realize there is a caveat.  No one's had time to actually see a copy yet.  I'll be interested to see what thoughts are once folks have received their copies and reviewed them (I think ;) ).  There are some changes this go around... some cosmetic, and maybe a couple that are risky with the older pulp crowd.  Of course there will be typos, and probably a couple of outright errors (I found one I made already :( ).  So I'm also awaiting the comments and corrections that are so necessary to make any forthcoming editions better.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, detective35 said:

You would have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them why did the overhang is on the top the right side left side where ever it is a large I have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them whether the overhang is on the top the right side left side wherever it is, plus overhang issues on the back covers as well

I have been having trouble expressing my thoughts on the subject. You have captured the essence of the argument in one poetically concise run-on sentence.

7 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have been having trouble expressing my thoughts on the subject. You have captured the essence of the argument in one poetically concise run-on sentence.

Lol,

It was grammar and sentence structure at its greatest!

How about:

You would have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang.   The overhangs can differ in size from book to book of the same issue.  On some books the overhang can be larger on the top or the bottom, on the right side front cover or the back left side.  You would not only have to take in account varied sizes of overs on the front cover, but also the back, so be prepared as I stated to make a custom slab for each pulp that has an overhang.  Add to this the fact that some overhangs are curled under and just straightening them out would damage them,  if there’s any kind of brittleness.  Cgc in the past is not slabbed certain comics if they had a bad cut to them, so good luck with pulps!

10 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Any chance of posting a preview page or two? (And Congrats!)

Unfortunately, I don't have an e-file of the final version (my original was stylistically different, then Heritage sent a PDF file of a preliminary version from which corrections were made, a total revamp of the fonts was done, and the final product sent off to the printers).  Pages will be difficult to scan with a standard device without taking a physical copy apart, as the inner-margins are narrow.

32 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Unfortunately, I don't have an e-file of the final version (my original was stylistically different, then Heritage sent a PDF file of a preliminary version from which corrections were made, a total revamp of the fonts was done, and the final product sent off to the printers).  Pages will be difficult to scan with a standard device without taking a physical copy apart, as the inner-margins are narrow.

Regardless Tim you put a lot of work in to this, you are to be commended of all your hard work.

7 hours ago, Bookery said:

I don't think fidelity to the printed version is necessary to entice people with a sample.  Post away!

I have already ordered my copy.  My compliments on your enormous efforts in producing the updated version.