• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Pulp Books & References
4 4

111 posts in this topic

This talk of slabbing pulps has me wondering how many people do a thorough page count? I imagine most people, make sure the title page is there, the last page, and quickly flip through the book to make sure there isn't any obvious damage like insect chews, chunks out, brittleness, stains, or a story removed. I guess though,  pages are far less likely to be missing than with comic books.

54 minutes ago, rjpb said:

This talk of slabbing pulps has me wondering how many people do a thorough page count? I imagine most people, make sure the title page is there, the last page, and quickly flip through the book to make sure there isn't any obvious damage like insect chews, chunks out, brittleness, stains, or a story removed. I guess though,  pages are far less likely to be missing than with comic books.

Still... it happens.  Usually, if a pulp is missing pages, it's fairly obvious.  Most commonly, the title page may be missing as it's up front where there's a lot of stress.  Sometimes, somebody sometime has cut out an entire story that they like... it was not uncommon for readers to cut out the various parts of, say, a 6-part story in Argosy, and staple them together so they could read their favorite almost as a book.  But these are big gaps, and easily spotted with a quick flip-through.  Once though, I bought several thousand pulps from a buyer several states away.  They were in above-average shape, and had decent page quality.  When I hauled them all back home and began processing them, I eventually discovered that there were things missing.  Sometime a single page was missing, but other times just a paragraph or even a single sentence was carefully razored out.  This was impossible to spot with an on-site inspection.

Ultimately, about one out of every 3 pulps ended up having something cut out.  I couldn't figure out why someone would do this... I speculated maybe it was comments he thought were too risque or something.  I was eventually able to compare some issues with ones I already owned... turns out the original owner was cutting out any passage that was describing the horrible nature of man... making war, social upheaval, man's nastiness to man, criminal behavior, etc.  Presumably these were things he found meaningful (though some were actually quite poorly written)... but these were themes especially common in 30s and 40s science-fiction, and also in many noirish detective stories.  They were all likely pasted neatly into a scrapbook somewhere.

I overpaid for the collection to begin with, so it pretty much ended up being a financial disaster.  Largest number of pulps I ever bought at one time, though.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I count them just as I would a comic book. (shrug)

On 4/2/2020 at 4:19 PM, Bookery said:

Sometime a single page was missing, but other times just a paragraph or even a single sentence was carefully razored out.  This was impossible to spot with an on-site inspection.

Ultimately, about one out of every 3 pulps ended up having something cut out.  I couldn't figure out why someone would do this... I speculated maybe it was comments he thought were too risque or something.  I was eventually able to compare some issues with ones I already owned... turns out the original owner was cutting out any passage that was describing the horrible nature of man... making war, social upheaval, man's nastiness to man, criminal behavior, etc.  Presumably these were things he found meaningful (though some were actually quite poorly written)... but these were themes especially common in 30s and 40s science-fiction, and also in many noirish detective stories.  They were all likely pasted neatly into a scrapbook somewhere.

Maybe some psychopath needed those words to write his demand letter?  :insane:

I have recently become aware of a glaring omission in my book's bibliography.  It was compiled literally at the last minute at Heritage's request, and so was largely incorporated from the existing bibliography from the 2005 edition.  I added a few new volumes that I found in my library, but in working quickly accidentally left out books that were stored at home.  I have probably missed others, but perhaps the most obvious one is Ed Hulse's The Blood 'n' Thunder Guide to Pulp Fiction.  Though released in 2018, it is possible that many recent pulp collectors are unaware of this, and so I bring it to your attention here.  Ed is probably the premiere pulp historian working today and this may be his most significant opus.  This and his other works can be ordered at muraniapress.com.  

Which brings me to another point... if the Boards don't mind, I would like to use this thread to mention other new-release pulp books, references, and articles as they are brought to my attention.  If someone can tell me how to change the thread title, I will do so to reflect its expanded scope.  Thanks.

image.png.1bf42596ffe90e6403bb414b08b771d2.png

39 minutes ago, Bookery said:

If someone can tell me how to change the thread title, I will do so to reflect its expanded scope

Hi Tim. See if this works (see Get Marwood & I post)

Thank YOU for releasing that awesome price guide …. I've had mine for just a few days now and it's like Christmas morning :cloud9: .... I got my copy from some cat named Dave in the Pacific northwest. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

I have recently become aware of a glaring omission in my book's bibliography.  It was compiled literally at the last minute at Heritage's request, and so was largely incorporated from the existing bibliography from the 2005 edition.  I added a few new volumes that I found in my library, but in working quickly accidentally left out books that were stored at home.  I have probably missed others, but perhaps the most obvious one is Ed Hulse's The Blood 'n' Thunder Guide to Pulp Fiction.  Though released in 2018, it is possible that many recent pulp collectors are unaware of this, and so I bring it to your attention here.  Ed is probably the premiere pulp historian working today and this may be his most significant opus.  This and his other works can be ordered at muraniapress.com.  

Which brings me to another point... if the Boards don't mind, I would like to use this thread to mention other new-release pulp books, references, and articles as they are brought to my attention.  If someone can tell me how to change the thread title, I will do so to reflect its expanded scope.  Thanks.

image.png.1bf42596ffe90e6403bb414b08b771d2.png

Just ordered several books from that site. Can't wait to get them.

On 11/6/2023 at 7:51 AM, Pedro Cruz said:

Hi, I just got started with collecting pulp.  I can’t find this book anywhere.  Anyone knows where I could get a copy? 

Thanks, 

If you are talking about the pulp guide, no... it is virtually impossible to obtain.  The previous edition I self-published, and could print what was a sufficient quantity to last a couple of years.  This last guide was published by Heritage, and they had complete control of the print run (which from what I understand was only 500 copies).  The guide sold out those numbers pretty quickly, but because its timing ended up being poor (came out just as pulp prices were shooting upwards rapidly), I think Heritage felt it was already too outdated to continue with.  To see images of the pulps coupled with story contents, see the Galactic Central fiction magazines site (it's massive).  For prices, right now you are pretty much stuck with eBay and auction house sales to go by.

On 11/6/2023 at 3:24 PM, Bookery said:

If you are talking about the pulp guide, no... it is virtually impossible to obtain.  The previous edition I self-published, and could print what was a sufficient quantity to last a couple of years.  This last guide was published by Heritage, and they had complete control of the print run (which from what I understand was only 500 copies).  The guide sold out those numbers pretty quickly, but because its timing ended up being poor (came out just as pulp prices were shooting upwards rapidly), I think Heritage felt it was already too outdated to continue with.  To see images of the pulps coupled with story contents, see the Galactic Central fiction magazines site (it's massive).  For prices, right now you are pretty much stuck with eBay and auction house sales to go by.

Darn, ok. Thank you for responding.   Totally get it.  Do you recommend that I buy the 1st edition.  Or would you be releasing a new edition in the future? 

On 11/8/2023 at 7:17 AM, Pedro Cruz said:

Darn, ok. Thank you for responding.   Totally get it.  Do you recommend that I buy the 1st edition.  Or would you be releasing a new edition in the future? 

Technically, there have been "3" editions.  The first was titled "Bookery's Ultimate Guide to the Pulps" (2001) and was quite a bit thicker than later editions, as it listed a number of titles with issue by issue lists.  "Bookery's Guide to the Pulps" came out in 2005.  As printing costs rose, it became necessary to slim the book down a bit, and so non-"key" issues were grouped into runs, much like Overstreet.  Since by this time issue-by-issue content and photos were available at Galactic Central, I didn't see a need to re-invent the wheel.  What Galactic Central doesn't include is (besides prices, of course) is info on author's 1st appearances, which stories are "key" or historical, and other data (beyond story title and author) that may be of interest to collectors.  The Bookery Guides are the only consolidated source for that info.  Heritage dubbed the last edition of the Bookery Guide (2020) as the 2nd edition, and as I said, even I can't obtain copies beyond my own personal one.

The 2005 Guide shows up with dealers and on eBay from time to time.  It's prices are absurdly outdated, but the data is still pretty good (I added more info for the 2020 release, and corrected errors and typos, but most of the data is still good on the old one).  As for publishing another edition, I'm not sure.  I still work on it (if for no other reason I still need it updated for my own use).  I've improved (yet again I think) the format slightly, and of course, have made additions and corrections.  But it represents 30 years of work, and the last release was certainly a bit of a disappointment (despite Heritage doing a great job with the design and layout).  I'm not in a position to self-publish it anymore... way too time-consuming with shipping.  If I make enough updates for myself that I essentially have a whole new guide put together anyway (which is what happened with the 2001 one), I may consider it... though in this digital age I'm not sure there's much appetite for publishing physical reference books that are never going to really pay off financially for the publisher.  

On 11/8/2023 at 12:11 PM, Bookery said:

Technically, there have been "3" editions.  The first was titled "Bookery's Ultimate Guide to the Pulps" (2001) and was quite a bit thicker than later editions, as it listed a number of titles with issue by issue lists.  "Bookery's Guide to the Pulps" came out in 2005.  As printing costs rose, it became necessary to slim the book down a bit, and so non-"key" issues were grouped into runs, much like Overstreet.  Since by this time issue-by-issue content and photos were available at Galactic Central, I didn't see a need to re-invent the wheel.  What Galactic Central doesn't include is (besides prices, of course) is info on author's 1st appearances, which stories are "key" or historical, and other data (beyond story title and author) that may be of interest to collectors.  The Bookery Guides are the only consolidated source for that info.  Heritage dubbed the last edition of the Bookery Guide (2020) as the 2nd edition, and as I said, even I can't obtain copies beyond my own personal one.

The 2005 Guide shows up with dealers and on eBay from time to time.  It's prices are absurdly outdated, but the data is still pretty good (I added more info for the 2020 release, and corrected errors and typos, but most of the data is still good on the old one).  As for publishing another edition, I'm not sure.  I still work on it (if for no other reason I still need it updated for my own use).  I've improved (yet again I think) the format slightly, and of course, have made additions and corrections.  But it represents 30 years of work, and the last release was certainly a bit of a disappointment (despite Heritage doing a great job with the design and layout).  I'm not in a position to self-publish it anymore... way too time-consuming with shipping.  If I make enough updates for myself that I essentially have a whole new guide put together anyway (which is what happened with the 2001 one), I may consider it... though in this digital age I'm not sure there's much appetite for publishing physical reference books that are never going to really pay off financially for the publisher.  

Thank you, You make a great point.  Basically I just need to find a copy of any of these and buy it.    If you ever consider building an app and charging for it I’ll be all over that as well.  

thanks again!! Really appreciate it.  

Frankly, it makes zero sense to put out a printed “price guide” any more. The market for comics is a real roller coaster especially if the past few years. The pulp market is even worse. Dealers and collectors have been smelling blood in the waters ever since CGC announced the plans to grade them. No one knows where the market will eventually end up. At the moment the sky seems to be the limit. Folks are grabbing everything they can with zero knowledge of what they are buying.

I look at the Overstreet and Bookery guides as informational tools and ignore the prices. They are both the best factual tools available for artist and writers and dating. Invaluable for collectors.

Pulps have ALWAYS been the great unknown. Most have been closely guarded secrets by collectors. MUCH more rare than comics. I have “accumulated” them for 40 years and am constantly suprised by amazing cover finds. Will they ever be worth what comics are? I don’t believe so but a fun challenge to hunt down!

Now, if someone were to do a “Gerber” book of covers…