• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Pulp Books & References
4 4

111 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

That would be sad news for many of us that have enjoyed pulps for decades. The influx of speculative money will no doubt chase many of the old-timers out of the hobby. Only my heirs will cheer such news. (shrug)

Or for us bottom feeders who just started again :cry: I guess I gotta accelerate my buying while I still can!

Great news about the book though, I'll be getting one :)

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Is Heritage the only place you can buy one?  There must be other options.

Not that I'm aware of.  I don't know if they have plans to eventually sub-distribute through other venues or not.  From what I understand, they will be setting up at the Windy Show Pulp Show and should have copies available there.

23 hours ago, Bookery said:

I think it's appropriate to promote one's new publication here (if not, the Mods can move it).  The new Bookery Guide to Pulps has just been released (first one in 15 years!).  This is published by Ivy Press and can be ordered through Heritage Auctions here (https://www.ha.com/information/bookery-guide-to-pulps-related-magazines.s?type=surl-bookery).  Heritage did a great job on the look and internal design, much improved over previous editions.  I also made some improvements to the layout of the listings, which should make it easier to locate specific issues, and there are new paragraphs describing most of the pulp titles.  This is the culmination of about 30 years of work, so for better or worse, it's here (finally).

Pulp Guide Cover 2020.jpg

Thank you for your great service to the collecting community. Pulps have appeared side by side with comics at the early conventions and there always was a connection. It is great to get the new guide, I will be purchasing one as well. Cong...

The pulps that do not have overhangs certaily could be a slabbed, But the majority of them have large overhangs either on the bottom or the top, or sides.  

Right now you can’t even slab Comics if they have a bad cut, but  every pulp is got a different cut with different size overhangs either the top or the bottom of the right sides.  

People that I know nothing about pulps and (just slapping or comics) say it can be done, but putting them in a slab is going to destroy these overhangs no matter what you do.

You would have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them why did the overhang is on the top the right side left side where ever it is a large I have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them whether the overhang is on the top the right side left side wherever it is, plus overhang issues on the back covers as well

No chance I would put my high-grade pulps with overhangs in a slab.

Edited by detective35DF

26 minutes ago, detective35 said:

The pulps that do not have overhangs certaily could be a slabbed, But the majority of them have large overhangs either on the bottom or the top, or sides.  

Right now you can’t even slab Comics if they have a bad cut, but  every pulp is got a different cut with different size overhangs either the top or the bottom of the right sides.  

People that I know nothing about pulps and (just slapping or comics) say it can be done, but putting them in a slab is going to destroy these overhangs no matter what you do.

You would have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them why did the overhang is on the top the right side left side where ever it is a large I have to custom make a slab for each different size overhang and custom make them whether the overhang is on the top the right side left side wherever it is, plus overhang issues on the back covers as well

The only way I could see it happening is if they made a slab that had a concave center, the opposite of the creep engine slabs, which would hold the book in place with pressure. However, given how brittle pulps can be I don't think that would be feasible.

1 hour ago, detective35 said:

The thing is, the majority of pulps being sold are already in mylar bags, and thus the overhangs are already being squeezed.  In theory, bagged pulps are supposed to be stored flat... but few do it, and it's not generally feasible to take them to shows and sell them that way.  The pulps only have overhangs because the publishers were too cheap to pay for the trimming.  But over the long haul, I don't see the majority of these overhangs being preserved.  Collectors will someday just have to deal with either cleanly trimmed pulps, or ones with varying degrees of overhang damage.

Sorry 

But I disagree.  If pulps are stored in golden age backing boards and super-gold mylite 2’s, then with further protection use magazine backing boards in a magazine Mylar, and in conjunction with storing them in proper climate, the overhangs will stay full and preserved.  Forcing them into a slab with an inner and outer chamber....well you will see (especially because many store slabs upright) Certainly storing the books flat will be the easiest on overhangs.  You can display them for a short period of time on an upright angle in a double bag system and they should be OK.

99% of the 500+ high grade pulps in my collection have full overhangs, and will remain like that for as long as they are stored properly.

in the past overhangs were destroyed as people either stored them upright with no bags or in those cheap regular mylites or polypropylene bags with backing boards the size of the books, will certainly destroy the overhangs.

Dwight

33 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Sorry 

But I disagree.  If pulps are stored in golden age backing boards and super-gold mylite 2’s, then with further protection use magazine backing boards in a magazine Mylar, and in conjunction with storing them in proper climate, the overhangs will stay full and preserved.  Forcing them into a slab with an inner and outer chamber....well you will see (especially because many store slabs upright) Certainly storing the books flat will be the easiest on overhangs.  You can display them for a short period of time on an upright angle in a double bag system and they should be OK.

99% of the 500+ high grade pulps in my collection have full overhangs, and will remain like that for as long as they are stored properly.

in the past overhangs were destroyed as people either stored them upright with no bags or in those cheap regular mylites or polypropylene bags with backing boards the size of the books, will certainly destroy the overhangs.

Dwight

Maybe so.  At any rate, I suspect it's all moot.  For reasons already cited, I don't see pulps being slabbed.  Not everything can be slabbed-- they aren't going to do hardback books either.  In fact, I can foresee vintage paperbacks being slabbed before pulps ever are (and it's even unlikely for them).  So interesting from a speculation standpoint, but probably not a real concern.  BTW -- nice looking ad!