• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics organizing
2 2

58 posts in this topic

There are obviously lots of ways to organize comics.  But here's a particular scenario I thought I'd see what other folks think.

I have a pretty big collection, like 42,000+ issues.  When my dad passed away, he had coin and stamp collections.  My sister spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what he had and what it was worth.  So the notion of having the collection organized in a manner that would make it easiest for someone to deal with if something were to happen to me is always in the back of my mind.  The idea is that they would have someone come in and look at the collection and make them an offer, something like that.

So something like "chronologically by cover date" just seems like not the way to go, as that would be really irritating for someone trying to figure out what was in the collection.

At the moment, I am sorta thinking about 2-3 options for rearranging them.  I should note that I have this sort of sickness in the head where I enjoy doing this every once in a while but it's gotten to the point where there are so many that I really shouldn't unless it is for a good reason.

One option would be what I would call "comics shop organizing" - so like all of the Spider-Man stuff in one place, all the Superman together, etc.

Another option would be to make sure it was all in the same order as the Overstreet guide, such that if someone was familiar with where things fall there they would expect to find it in the collection.

Another would be just an "alphabetical by title" normal thing where it might different from Overstreet guide in a few ways, like not having "Batman One-Shots" all grouped together but rather strictly organized by title.

Just wondering what other people might think on this subject.

25 minutes ago, GlennSimpson said:

Collecting for 40 years, no kids, lucky enough to have parents pay for college so no student debt, lol. 

You take me all wrong....., Scroll 3/4's of the way down this page until you see my ugly mug.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/88197-got-a-comic-room-showcase-it-here/?page=417

If this is for the benefit of your family liquidating the collection when you pass is separate keys from commons and put a post-it on the back of the bag explaining the comic is valuable and why. Not a price value, but like (first appearance so-and-so, death of so-and-so, first so-and-so on this title) 

16 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You take me all wrong....., Scroll 3/4's of the way down this page until you see my ugly mug.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/88197-got-a-comic-room-showcase-it-here/?page=417

You have a cowboy hat? Awesome

Unfortunately what's good for some, isn't good for others.

I am extremely organized, a run collector, and I keep my books in order by run and genre. 

Superhero

Horror

Independents

Etc.

24 minutes ago, comics4all said:

This big:

rifleman wood.jpg

Exactly. Approximately.  It's not very long, but it's sure big around.  The girls all called me "Tuna Fish Can".

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Unfortunately what's good for some, isn't good for others.

I am extremely organized, a run collector, and I keep my books in order by run and genre. 

Superhero

Horror

Independents

Etc.

I tried to go that far and went mad because I wanted to keep Canadian editions,companies seperate,then went maybe by ages and....oh boi,it's a disaster.I know where stuff is sorta,but-disaster!

17 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Here is a bit of my collection. 

20200207_185835.jpg

Looks like my records,minus the bottom rows.I don't want to have to murder my cats!Also why I never did my comics like that.

Looks great Oak,and seeing that cat scratcher...oh man! (worship) Brave AND a cat master!