• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

INCOMPLETE COMICS AND GRADES

22 posts in this topic

I have a quick grading question: my most recent shipment included a 2.0 that was also marked incomplete for missing a coupon from a non-story page. I thought incomplete books were usually graded a .5. Just curious.

Edited by Comics Are Go

On 2/10/2020 at 9:25 AM, Comics Are Go said:

Another dealer said that as long as the book would be below a 7.0 without the defect, it'll get a universal label.

Incorrect.  There are literally scores of CGC-certified books with Qualified Grades less than 7.0 FN/VF.  Just take a look through the Heritage Auction Archives:facepalm:

I submitted a Highly regarded book.

Got it back at GREEN  / 5.0

The notes, however, contradicted...one said stamp removed on page 10, AFFECTS story...the other note said DOES NOT affect story.

I requested a correction/verification...it was returned as BLUE at 3.5 w/ does NOT affect story...

The whole thing still doesn't make sense to me

What does "page 10" actually mean, anyway? I think it means "leaf 10", not numbered page 10...because the stamps were towards the end of the book...anyone know?

22 minutes ago, PaulyP_in_NC said:

What does "page 10" actually mean, anyway? I think it means "leaf 10", not numbered page 10...because the stamps were towards the end of the book...anyone know?

On silver age books with 8 wraps (such as FF #1 or AF #15) the 10th page should be the next page after the centerfold...

On 2/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, Comics Are Go said:

Thanks for the help. Another dealer said that as long as the book would be below a 7.0 without the defect, it'll get a universal label. What's the logic behind that?

Only CGC can guarantee what CGC would do. Don't trust that dealer. Let us know who it is so we can avoid them.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, Comics Are Go said:

I have a quick grading question: my most recent shipment included a 2.0 that was also marked incomplete for missing a coupon from a non-story page. I thought incomplete books were usually graded a .5. Just curious.

CGC can do their own thing but in terms of traditional overstreet standards, a coupon being cut (affecting story or not) is allowed at the 1.0 grade. Of course, traditionally the coupon being cut is not the only defect on such a book.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, PaulyP_in_NC said:

I submitted a Highly regarded book.

Got it back at GREEN  / 5.0

The notes, however, contradicted...one said stamp removed on page 10, AFFECTS story...the other note said DOES NOT affect story.

I requested a correction/verification...it was returned as BLUE at 3.5 w/ does NOT affect story...

The whole thing still doesn't make sense to me

What probably happened was the pre-grader (the grader that counts the pages and checks everything else on the book) probably made a mistake when he or she entered the "affects story" comment. Then the finalizer (the grader that decides the final grade of the book and double checks the book for anything the pre-grader may have overlooked) changed the notation to "does not affect story." This type of thing often results in a verbal exchange between the finalizer and pre-grader...and most of the time, it ends up like this: 

:makepoint:   

On 3/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, The Lions Den said:

What probably happened was the pre-grader (the grader that counts the pages and checks everything else on the book) probably made a mistake when he or she entered the "affects story" comment. Then the finalizer (the grader that decides the final grade of the book and double checks the book for anything the pre-grader may have overlooked) changed the notation to "does not affect story." This type of thing often results in a verbal exchange between the finalizer and pre-grader...and most of the time, it ends up like this: 

:makepoint:   

Frustrating to say the least. Thank you for your input.

This was for Hulk 181 and I find it unsettling that such a book would have this type of occurrence.

2 hours ago, PaulyP_in_NC said:

Frustrating to say the least. Thank you for your input.

This was for Hulk 181 and I find it unsettling that such a book would have this type of occurrence.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't surprise me at all. Hulk #181 is one of the most common books submitted to CGC, and pre-graders are very, very busy people... :juggle:  

On 3/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, manofsteel said:

What about this book? Any ideas? IMG_1693.thumb.JPG.159db60bedb413f2f9666f2ac9a327cb.JPG

For starters, the lower case lettering for the notation would indicate that it wasn't meant to be Qualified, so there should be no mistake there. I would guess the piece missing from the margin of page 9 - 12 would be fairly small, and as the note says, only "slightly affects" the art. To me, this would also indicate that none of the story text was missing...only a bit of the artwork. I hope this helps. Nice looking book, too...  (thumbsu

17 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

For starters, the lower case lettering for the notation would indicate that it wasn't meant to be Qualified, so there should be no mistake there. I would guess the piece missing from the margin of page 9 - 12 would be fairly small, and as the note says, only "slightly affects" the art. To me, this would also indicate that none of the story text was missing...only a bit of the artwork. I hope this helps. Nice looking book, too...  (thumbsu

A few follow up questions if you don't mind:

They use uppercase only on Greens? Is page 9-12 only 1 page, or pages 9-12? If a text bubble was missing, it would be "Story"? 

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, it's not my book.

2 hours ago, manofsteel said:

A few follow up questions if you don't mind:

They use uppercase only on Greens? Is page 9-12 only 1 page, or pages 9-12? If a text bubble was missing, it would be "Story"? 

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately, it's not my book.

Yes, all capitals for a label notation on a green Qualified label, lowercase for a blue Universal label. 

Page 9 - 12 means pages 9,10,11 & 12. 

And there are times where the story & art will both be affected. To me, the "slightly affects art" comment indicates the missing pieces barely affect the art panels. 

I hope this helps, and stay well...