• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM6 after clean and press

20 posts in this topic

Here you go folks.  I think it could be an 8.0 apart from the split/tear in the centre..?  Both staples are still on.  Don't know if its a tear or factory issue.

I'd be interested in 2 grades - one ignoring the split and one taking it into account.

From previous chat on here I'm guessing it would end up about a 7.0.

Hats off to Giles at Asgard Comics - back is much cleaner - stacking roll gone - corner bend gone.

asm61.jpg

asm62.jpg

asm63.jpg

asm64.jpg

asm65.jpg

asm66.jpg

asm67.jpg

Edited by mike devon

11 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

The edges and corners are quite nice . . . if it weren't for those spine ticks and color-breaking creases along the spine . . . . As is, with the split, I think a 6.5 - 7.0.  Without the split, 7.5.

Cheers OG - yeah I think this is going to mostly land on about a 7.0.

Something that puzzles me a bit on here though is that posters seem to grade a bit more strictly than CGCs own notes.  I know its my book but I'd honestly put this at 8.0 if as described below (without the split ofc - although that may be a factory defect).

'VF8.0  An attractive collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.'

'VF-7.5  An above-average collectible with a moderate defect or an accumulation of small defects.'

Its definitely attractive when seen up close.  I'd put it higher that 'above average'.

Ofc this is just my opinion and makes no difference when it comes to valuing.

Ref the small colour breaks near the lizard's lower hand:  there are identical marks on several copies so its definitely a printing error.  Attached pic is from a different copy to mine.

gsm.jpg

Edited by mike devon

5 hours ago, mike devon said:

Something that puzzles me a bit on here though is that posters seem to grade a bit more strictly than CGCs own notes.  I know its my book but I'd honestly put this at 8.0 if as described below (without the split ofc - although that may be a factory defect).

I hope I'm wrong, but does that split look a little larger now to you..?  hm

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Hi LD no it always went up to the first gutter.  How would you grade it now..?

Also - split or tear...?  Impossible to be sure but does look like a split.

Edited by mike devon
muh

10 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Hi LD no it always went up to the first gutter.  How would you grade it now..?

Also - split or tear...?  Impossible to be sure but does look like a split.

Looks more like a tear than a split, but I suppose it's because this is the best picture I've seen of it so far. And now that I've seen it from this angle, this doesn't appear to be a manufacturing defect (sorry).

To be honest, I'd be thinking somewhere in the Fine range now...

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Looks more like a tear than a split, but I suppose it's because this is the best picture I've seen of it so far. And now that I've seen it from this angle, this doesn't appear to be a manufacturing defect (sorry).

To be honest, I'd be thinking somewhere in the Fine range now...

Cheers.  Yeah 6.5 or maybe 7.0 I reckon.  I think 6.0 would be a bit harsh.  Its prob a 6.75 but ofc no such thing.

9 minutes ago, mike devon said:

So the tear is knocking $600 odd off the value.  Would it get a PLOD if I got it sealed up..?

If you're trying to sell it, your audience will prefer blue label and it presents beautifully. Just submit as is. 2c

8 minutes ago, Point Five said:

If you're trying to sell it, your audience will prefer blue label and it presents beautifully. Just submit as is. 2c

Cheers.  I don't know about submitting it - I like that you can actually inspect it and read it.  If I did try to sell it its so obviously unrestored I think I'd do ok on it raw.  Its really really obvious it hasn't been touched.

Edited by mike devon

20 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I thought that as well.

I didn't really think it needed cleaning & pressing, I hope you haven't damaged it further.

I've used Giles before, being in the UK he's the only 'professional presser' we've got, and whilst he didn't damage the book I wasn't overly impressed with the job he did either.

2 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I thought that as well.

I didn't really think it needed cleaning & pressing, I hope you haven't damaged it further.

I've used Giles before, being in the UK he's the only 'professional presser' we've got, and whilst he didn't damage the book I wasn't overly impressed with the job he did either.

The book has come back much better - 0.5 bump I think.  Split is the same.  Back way way cleaner.  Corner bend bottom right through entire book completely gone.  Stacking curl gone.  Pressing shouldn't damage a book unless it was in a bad state anyway.

How did Giles not impress..?

1 minute ago, mike devon said:

The book has come back much better - 0.5 bump I think.  Split is the same.  Back way way cleaner.  Corner bend bottom right through entire book completely gone.  Stacking curl gone.  Pressing shouldn't damage a book unless it was in a bad state anyway.

How did Giles not impress..?

Didn't remove the NCB corner bend that I specifically asked him to remove. Basically spent £20 on a trip for my book to Wigan and back. Hope it saw the pier!

Well, the split looks a bit longer in the new photo, I'm not saying it is longer after the press, but it looks it, so I'm revising my initial estimate to a 6.5.

Just now, Harry Lime said:

Didn't remove the NCB corner bend that I specifically asked him to remove. Basically spent £20 on a trip for my book to Wigan and back. Hope it saw the pier!

Well, the split looks a bit longer in the new photo, I'm not saying it is longer after the press, but it looks it, so I'm revising my initial estimate to a 6.5.

Was it a very severe bend..?  I can get rid of any bend on a disassembled book - my issue is getting the book apart and back together without causing damage.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

6.5 IMO.

Yeah seems to be 6.5 maybe 7.0.  I don't mind the grade really I just want to get a decent price for it if I sell.  I think its between 6.5 and 7.0 so I'd price it between I think.  Didn't buy it to sell but I'm trying to get a '1'.

Edited by mike devon