• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel Jr, missing pages?

17 posts in this topic

I found these two places where pages appear to have been neatly removed. Looking here, the pages are continuous, but it's only storyline. So it looks like either I'm missing the ad pages, or if the comicbookplus.com scans are complete, this issue has no ads, which seems unlikely.

So are pages missing from this comic? Am I correct to assume that they are missing ad pages?

Thanks!

IMG_20200208_113016.jpg

IMG_20200208_113057.jpg

Otherwise, you can check with Comics.org.  It will tell you how many pages in your book.  Wonderful source.

I just checked for your book.  It's 60 pages so it has 4 missing pages that seemed not affect the stories.

Edited by JollyComics

21 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Otherwise, you can check with Comics.org.  It will tell you how many pages in your book.  Wonderful source.

I just checked for your book.  It's 60 pages so it has 4 missing pages that seemed not affect the stories.

The GCD is an amazing resource, however I find the GCD can be confusing in their page counts because sometimes they count the front and back covers as "pages".  

GA comics sometimes have "tipped in" (glued) single pages which makes for weird page counts.  And sometimes they had single pages stapled in which left a "tab" like your photos on the other side of the wrap.  So never assume a page was trimmed out of the comic even though it may look like that.

18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

The GCD is an amazing resource, however I find the GCD can be confusing in their page counts because sometimes they count the front and back covers as "pages".  

GA comics sometimes have "tipped in" (glued) single pages which makes for weird page counts.  And sometimes they had single pages stapled in which left a "tab" like your photos on the other side of the wrap.  So never assume a page was trimmed out of the comic even though it may look like that.

Never thought of it.  Just wondered what label this book will get.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:37 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Very interesting (to me).

These comics are what I collect these days and I can concurr that it's normal. I remember being surprised nesylf the dirst time I saw it but it is indeed manufactured that way. When i have a chance, I will show mine as well.

Alright so here we go, below you will find images from Captain marvel Adventures 30, 31, 32, 34. They all have what the original poster describes. They are all wartime comics (from 1943-44) and only have one staple. And, there are very few adds within the comic, most are concentrated  at the beginning and end. I guess books sold well enough back in the day that there was no need for extra revenue through ads. I have two copies of 30, so just in case there was any doubt to this being normal, you can see below that the effect of that one page bind takes place on the same 3 pages.

20200216_181714.jpg

20200216_181747.jpg

20200216_181802.jpg

20200216_181819.jpg

20200216_181905.jpg

20200216_182126.jpg

20200216_182205.jpg

20200216_182211.jpg

20200216_182356.jpg

20200216_182406.jpg

Yep.  The first time you see this as a collector it really freaks you out, and it makes you think someone is trying to scam you if you're buying on ebay.  But the more you buy GA comics the more you see these weird single pages bound in and also the single pages that are "tipped in" (glued) to other pages.  The GA was the wild west of comic binding with super thick comics, single pages, tipped-in pages, and then throw in "single staple" WWII comics, and you have a recipe for disaster as comics start to come apart.

Thanks for sharing those images William.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Yep.  The first time you see this as a collector it really freaks you out, and it makes you think someone is trying to scam you if you're buying on ebay.  But the more you buy GA comics the more you see these weird single pages bound in and also the single pages that are "tipped in" (glued) to other pages.  The GA was the wild west of comic binding with super thick comics, single pages, tipped-in pages, and then throw in "single staple" WWII comics, and you have a recipe for disaster as comics start to come apart.

Thanks for sharing those images William.

No problem. I know GA is the wild west but I wouldn't have it any other way. You're not just owning a comic, you are owning a foundation stone for what we have today.

Edited by William-James88

Although none of the comments here are technically incorrect, some do make page count seem more random than it truly is/was.  The 60-page book era (a 4-page cover plus a 56-page interior) lasted for about a year or less (depending on the publisher) between mid-1943 and mid-1944.  This was a relatively short transition period between the much longer 68-page (16 interior wrap) and 52-page (12 interior wrap) eras.

The most common interior configuration for a 60-page comic (or a 56-page interior) is 12 full wraps and 4 half-wraps, with 16 leaves before the "centerfold" staple and 12 leaves after.