• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad experience with Brett/Fantasy Comics Unlimited, book came back qualified
6 6

105 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

This.  It's not arcane knowledge or alien technology. The most important piece of equipment of paramount importance to being a hobbyist is our eyes. If you're going to cap your spending at $10 per book, what you buy, as long as you enjoy it, is of secondary importance. But if you're going to embark upon and embrace the hobby by making substantial investment, it's imperative to train your eyes and acquire the visual skills necessary to determine exactly what it is that you're spending your money on. Use CGC grading as an extra set of eyes, not as a pair of crutches. Acquire the skills and the tools to augment those skills to be 95% sure of what it is that you're submitting.

One can have all those skills, but if you don't bother taking the book out of the bag, things happen.

28 minutes ago, shadroch said:

One can have all those skills, but if you don't bother taking the book out of the bag, things happen.

The pages were counted and complete. The pq on the detached cf was perfect as you can see from the picture. If we can't trust dealers with tables with 6 figure inventory to stand by their books then what's the point? This whole hobby, especially for GA and SA is built on trust. I get that you think this is somehow my fault but why are you deflecting blame from the seller?

Edited by Pokecollectoramy

3 hours ago, Pokecollectoramy said:

The pages were counted and complete. The pq on the detached cf was perfect as you can see from the picture. If we can't trust dealers with tables with 6 figure inventory to stand by their books then what's the point? This whole hobby, especially for GA and SA is built on trust. I get that you think this is somehow my fault but why are you deflecting blame from the seller?

Nobody is assigning blame to the buyer. But this is a perfect example of why if you're going to be committing serious money to the hobby, you must rely on yourself as your primary mechanism for the survival of your wallet in this hobby.  44 years. That's the amount of time I think I read mentioned about the seller's tenure in this hobby as a merchant. And even after 44 years he's human. Subject to error. Those 44 years are not a firewall against dropping the ball. After 44 years, he should know exactly what he's selling. Only thing is that if you work your skills up to task, you will be able to recognize some of the errata that others don't..

44 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Nobody is assigning blame to the buyer. But this is a perfect example of why if you're going to be committing serious money to the hobby, you must rely on yourself as your primary mechanism for the survival of your wallet in this hobby.  44 years. That's the amount of time I think I read mentioned about the seller's tenure in this hobby as a merchant. And even after 44 years he's human. Subject to error. Those 44 years are not a firewall against dropping the ball. After 44 years, he should know exactly what he's selling. Only thing is that if you work your skills up to task, you will be able to recognize some of the errata that others don't..

I agree and appreciate your statement!

8 hours ago, Pokecollectoramy said:

Absolutely, and thank you for your help. Can never hurt to be more educated and I now am. Here is the photo for discussion. The page quality looked very good to me:

https://imgur.com/a/zxtmxqu

I also don't want to take away from the point that overwhelmingly the boards agree that the seller should take a return or offer a refund for this book as he sold something that was not what he said it was. I appreciate everyone's input on all matters

Hope you don’t mind me posting the photo directly to the thread.

From what I can see, the center wrap pq does vary slightly from the other page along with the stains at the bottom and also the chip missing. I would think the other pages closest to the cf would show similarities and although not 100% foolproof evidence of marrying, it would at least make me ask the question. Not to be misunderstood; I’m definitely not placing any blame on you. I’m just trying to better educate myself too. I’ve been collecting for about 45 years and even I run into things that are new to me

4821609B-6B71-4146-98C6-28A406EA3A0B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Hope you don’t mind me posting the photo directly to the thread.

From what I can see, the center wrap pq does vary slightly from the other page along with the stains at the bottom and also the chip missing. I would think the other pages closest to the cf would show similarities and although not 100% foolproof evidence of marrying, it would at least make me ask the question. Not to be misunderstood; I’m definitely not placing any blame on you. I’m just trying to better educate myself too. I’ve been collecting for about 45 years and even I run into things that are new to me

4821609B-6B71-4146-98C6-28A406EA3A0B.jpeg

Beautiful paper quality for Timely GA of this era!

So I'm just starting to get in to Golden age books so this is great knowledge for me. Looking at the picture I wouldn't have been able to tell that it was married and would've sent it in the same as you. Hopefully you can get the situation sorted out in your favor but I appreciate you posting your story. This post has been very educational.

I'll spare you the would 'a could 'a, should 'a bit and just give my opinion on where it stands now.
It's that partial refund you accepted that's killing you here. 
Take that out of the equation and it's a different deal.
I think that's where the problem is going to be with any action you try to take from this point.

3 hours ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

I'll spare you the would 'a could 'a, should 'a bit and just give my opinion on where it stands now.
It's that partial refund you accepted that's killing you here. 
Take that out of the equation and it's a different deal.
I think that's where the problem is going to be with any action you try to take from this point.

Granted, the existing partial refund does make this a multi-faceted transaction, but in no way, shape, or form should serve to muddle the inescapable fact that like DoubleMint gum, there are two, two, two things in one that are need of remedy here. Two things that a responsible, long-time hobby dealer should be eager to rectify, having been responsible in rectifying one of the two issues and now, might I add, with a large hobby presence looking over his shoulders at how he handles this.. It would be of far more value to the seller, from a PR standpoint, to end it with all looking in thinking, "Oh. OK. Standup guy. Did the right thing. I'd have no fear in dealing with him, he stands behind his wares", than what even all the money from the sale spent on advertising could generate.

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Granted, the existing partial refund does make this a multi-faceted transaction, but in no way, shape, or form should serve to muddle the inescapable fact that like DoubleMint gum, there are two, two, two things in one that are need of remedy here. Two things that a responsible, long-time hobby dealer should be eager to rectify, having been responsible in rectifying one of the two issues and now, might I add, with a large hobby presence looking over his shoulders at how he handles this.. It would be of far more value to the seller, from a PR standpoint, to end it with all looking in thinking, "Oh. OK. Standup guy. Did the right thing. I'd have no fear in dealing with him, he stands behind his wares", than what even all the money from the sale spent on advertising could generate.

I hear what you are saying and I agree. My point was if this dealer isn't going to make it right of his own accord, then the offered and accepted partial refund is going to complicate using other means to remedy this. 
I'm not a legal expert and I know there are several attorneys on the board so maybe one of them will weigh in on this, but it's been my experience if you negotiate a settlement for something and then accept it, that's the end of being able to take further action on your part.
I'm curious to see how this plays out if the OP pursues a chargeback 

7 hours ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

then the offered and accepted partial refund is going to complicate using other means to remedy this. 

Different issue though. The seller remedied one issue, and then a second one was soon discovered. Now the second issue also is in need of resolution.

From a business standpoint, it's a no win situation for the seller to fight this. #1, and most importantly, now it's public. Which public? The most critical one pertaining to his business. Hobbyists. Potential buyers. So the main issue now isn't as much the book as it is his PR and rep. Doesn't matter if he enjoyed 46 years of flawless sales with nothing but smiling faces. One small incident, one book, made very public and a matter of internet record can impact sales by shaking a potential buyer's confidence. Someone that read this thread.  #2) The very small amount of loss, that may be incurred, if any at all, by simply taking the book back and refunding the buyer (minus the $200) will be made back by the book's resale. It's a nice book, it will sell, even with the detached and/or married page disclosed. Seller might lose a few dollars. Might even break even. But if he does lose a few bucks, that loss will be over-counter-balanced by great PR and the potential business that follows it.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, James J Johnson said:

Different issue though. The seller remedied one issue, and then a second one was soon discovered. Now the second issue also is in need of resolution.

From a business standpoint, it's a no win situation for the seller to fight this. #1, and most importantly, now it's public. Which public? The most critical one pertaining to his business. Hobbyists. Potential buyers. So the main issue now isn't as much the book as it is his PR and rep. Doesn't matter if he enjoyed 46 years of flawless sales with nothing but smiling faces. One small incident, one book, made very public and a matter of internet record can impact sales by shaking a potential buyer's confidence. Someone that read this thread.  #2) The very small amount of loss, that may be incurred, if any at all, by simply taking the book back and refunding the buyer (minus the $200) will be made back by the book's resale. It's a nice book, it will sell, even with the detached and/or married page disclosed. Seller might lose a few dollars. Might even break even. But if he does lose a few bucks, that loss will be over-counter-balanced by great PR and the potential business that follows it.

I wonder if Brett/Fantasy Comics Unlimited has been notified about this thread yet.  Has he chimed in yet?

Everything you say is true JJJ this is a PR nightmare for the seller now that it's on the boards.

Edited by gadzukes

40 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I wonder if Brett/Fantasy Comics Unlimited has been notified about this thread yet.  He chimed in yet?

Everything you say is true JJJ this is a PR nightmare for the seller now that it's on the boards.

I don't know this seller. I may have bought something from him if he sets up at conventions, but I certainly have never heard of his being mentioned with any negative implications. This thread is the only instance of it that I'm aware of. So aside from this, as far as I know, he has an unblemished presence in the hobby. All the more reason to stand behind the product since that appears to have been the standard type of good business practices that have kept his rep very clean and will continue to promote new buyers. I like to see people do well. IMO, rectifying it will assure that he continue doing well. Just that one guy, that was toying with the idea of making a $10,000 purchase from this seller may see an instance of a lapse in a seller's sound practices, think twice, and go elsewhere to spend his money. There's no way to calculate it. It's an intangible. Having a good rep balances the scales in your favor and I hope the seller doesn't lose sight of this for a few bucks that will easily be made back.

Edited by James J Johnson

On 2/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, N e r V said:

If this is the Brett Putnam Fantasy Comics Unlimited site he should probably change his mission statement now...:nyah:

BUSINESS INFO
oZLAugv1sTL.png
Founded in 1976

BtyBY3yX1tQ.png
Mission
Quality customer service, personal attention, guaranteed grading, careful packaging, no-hassle money-back guarantee. Your satisfaction is my top priority.

Without getting into a detailed pile-on, suffice to say my experience did not match the description above and I no longer buy from them. 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Without getting into a detailed pile-on, suffice to say my experience did not match the description above and I no longer buy from them. 

There you go. Textbook example of what I was referring to. And the remedy refused that I am aware of from here will carry over and prevent me as well from buying should the situation arise. And not because, "he didn't make full disclosure". People are human, everybody makes mistakes. To me, not making good on those two errors once both came to light, is the issue that would prevent me from buying. I can live with a mistake, if corrected, and then we go back to square one.