• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Overstreet Price Guides and Previews Catalogs

3 posts in this topic

Is collecting Overstreet Comic Book Price Guides a thing?  Is collecting Previews Catalogs a thing?  There over 370 previews catalogs an d going to be 50 price guides so obviously there is a lot of storage space we are talking about.  Also, Overstreet comes in both paperback and hardback so if I did collect which one would I collect?  Is this idea just completely stupid? 

8 minutes ago, poorcollector said:

Is collecting Overstreet Comic Book Price Guides a thing?  Is collecting Previews Catalogs a thing?  There over 370 previews catalogs an d going to be 50 price guides so obviously there is a lot of storage space we are talking about.  Also, Overstreet comes in both paperback and hardback so if I did collect which one would I collect?  Is this idea just completely stupid? 

Yes, there are collectors.  There's a lot of historic information contained in the guides and some interesting articles and it's fun to look at the prices in an early guide and wonder why you weren't smart enough to snap up great books at those prices.  

Overstreet #1 is the most valuable.  Generally #2 to #10 sell for a bit and not too much from #11 on but I have sold numerous issues throughout the run.  I add the hardcovers to my collection when I come across them cheap but I'm not sure which are more valuable, the hardcovers are prettier but the softcovers are likely much harder to find in high grade.  Near the back of the Overstreet there's information on the value of their publication but in general I find their values much too high.

Yes, some people collect preview type catologs.  They've been published for many years by many different publishers.  More recent publications like 'Previews' aren't worth much but some of the earlier publications have value.  Sometimes our first glimpse of a new character is through one of these publications and that can have value.  This whole area of comic collecting hasn't got a lot of love but that may change some day.

ebay is always a great place to study values.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=price+guides+comics&_sacat=99961&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Early TMNT appearance that was an insert to Comics Buyers Guide, an early fanzine/adzine that ran for many years and was essentially a key publication to buy and sell comics before the internet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comics-Buyers-Guide-Hellboy-supplement-1994-rare-early-appearance-of-Hellboy/274233712643?hash=item3fd99a6003:g:KU8AAOSw48ZeL-9B