• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ashamed of my Collecting Origins

29 posts in this topic

I am in my early twenties and I am an avid youtube watcher especially of comic book related material.  I am watching of these guys who have awesome comic book collecting origin stories.  Typically, when they were a kid and they got an amazing ASM or FF book, and from then on they were hooked.   I started collecting when sixteen because I had some extra cash and didn't have anything else to do.  My first comic Book purchase consisted of Infinity Heist #1 and Manifest Destiny #1.  I just feel like my collecting story isn't as cool as a lot of other people, and I feel like I am one of the only young people to have thousands of comics.  What do you guys think about this.  Am I just being self conscious and over thinking?   How do I get more comfortable with my collecting origins, and become happier with my collection?

Just now, Jeffro. said:

Yes.

Who gives a flying fornicate what anyone else thinks? Who cares about how someone else got into collecting? All this social media garbage is just navel gazing nonsense. It has zero effect on you and your collection. Collect what you want. Enjoy your comics and your collecting journey. That's all that really matters. 

I just needed to hear this.  Thank you!

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
4 hours ago, poorcollector said:

Am I just being self conscious and over thinking?

Yes.

Who gives a flying fornicate what anyone else thinks? Who cares about how someone else got into collecting? All this social media garbage is just navel gazing nonsense. It has zero effect on you and your collection. Collect what you want. Enjoy your comics and your collecting journey. That's all that really matters. 

Because of your questionable collecting origin, your opinion holds no weight. 

Only people who grew up in the 60's, 70's and 80's will have the cool "bought it off the stands" or "got this issue cheap as a back issue" stories.

Don't be ashamed of your origin. No superhero dwells on how they became powerful. It is what you do with the power that matters. Aka what you collect and enjoy. And even that only really matters to you.

90% of my collection was bought on ebay. I don't have great stories. But I have great comics and keys and obscure stuff and I love it all and that is what I care to share. 

22 hours ago, poorcollector said:

I am in my early twenties and I am an avid youtube watcher especially of comic book related material.  I am watching of these guys who have awesome comic book collecting origin stories.  Typically, when they were a kid and they got an amazing ASM or FF book, and from then on they were hooked.   I started collecting when sixteen because I had some extra cash and didn't have anything else to do.  My first comic Book purchase consisted of Infinity Heist #1 and Manifest Destiny #1.  I just feel like my collecting story isn't as cool as a lot of other people, and I feel like I am one of the only young people to have thousands of comics.  What do you guys think about this.  Am I just being self conscious and over thinking?   How do I get more comfortable with my collecting origins, and become happier with my collection?

1) When you're in your early 20s, you're self-conscious about everything and you care about being "cool". This will pass with age when you realize everyone is a mess, and no one who is concerned with being cool is actually cool.

2) The best way to ensure you're always unhappy is comparison. Someone will always have more or better.

3) In 20 years, what you grew up with will be "cool", as corporations begin pandering to your nostalgic whims to capitalize on your generation's newly acquired spending power. I'm in my late 30s and the stuff I grew up with has only begun to be "cool" in the last few years.

Everyone wants to tell stories about themselves. Focus less on your story and more on enjoying your hobby moment to moment, and eventually the narrative will work itself out.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:43 PM, poorcollector said:

Hey , your collecting origins are of little consequence. This from a letch who wandered around in school busses looking for action.  Andy Warhol had it right, you'll get your fifteen minutes of fame. 

Just collect. The journey is worth the disappointment. 

Such great advise so far.. the only thing I will add is create your own cool journey sometimes it not how you start but how you go through it.

As long as you are doing something you like and it makes you happy, that's all that matters at the end..

p.s. also you can't believe everything you see on the social media, Insta, YouTube etc.. half of that stuff is fake and planned.

4 hours ago, COI said:

1) When you're in your early 20s, you're self-conscious about everything and you care about being "cool". This will pass with age when you realize everyone is a mess, and no one who is concerned with being cool is actually cool.

2) The best way to ensure you're always unhappy is comparison. Someone will always have more or better.

3) In 20 years, what you grew up with will be "cool", as corporations begin pandering to your nostalgic whims to capitalize on your generation's newly acquired spending power. I'm in my late 30s and the stuff I grew up with has only begun to be "cool" in the last few years.

Everyone wants to tell stories about themselves. Focus less on your story and more on enjoying your hobby moment to moment, and eventually the narrative will work itself out.

COI sighting!!!

:o

-slym

On 2/9/2020 at 11:43 AM, poorcollector said:

Don't compare your insides to someone else's outsides, Grasshopper. 

I don't watch youtube comic book stuff and don't know the you tube individuals you're talking about, but the fact that you can articulate your feeling so simply and honestly leads me to believe you're probably a pretty decent person. Decent people=Cool Cats!

Welcome. If you're looking for good stories to track down, I'm a big Frank miller fan. Try some of his stuff. Or Alan Moore on Swamp Thing. 

Edited by NoMan

On 2/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, poorcollector said:

Your origin is better then mine. When I was young I collected every foil cover I saw for sale. 

(This was not in the 1990s, by the way..)

1 hour ago, obiedagod said:

Your origin is better then mine. When I was young I collected every foil cover I saw for sale. 

(This was not in the 1990s, by the way..)

ouch..

My collection started with this classic

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men:_Alpha_Vol_1_1

Then onward to the Onslaught saga. Oh the 90's, not likely to be the fondest comic book era but everytime I see that Alpha cover it takes me back to that comic shop. Pushing the cover in my cousins face asking about Wolverines hand. Many better series over the years and many better events but I wouldnt trade that memory for any of them.