• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ashamed of my Collecting Origins

29 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, Jëffrö... said:

Yes.

Who gives a flying fornicate what anyone else thinks? Who cares about how someone else got into collecting? All this social media garbage is just navel gazing nonsense. It has zero effect on you and your collection. Collect what you want. Enjoy your comics and your collecting journey. That's all that really matters. 

This ^ times a million. I learned to apply this mindset across nearly every corner of my life. Helps growing up when you're a comic book fan, Seahawks fan, Judas Priest fan, can't stand mayo or eggs and hate Cheers but love Seinfeld. And the Dark Reign storyline is the greatest thing ever produced in comics.

And for the record I started with 1 comic - Fantastic Four #219 - and everything grew out from that one humble comic.

The origin may not be cool, but the memories associated with said books as well as the people you bridge a communicative gap with and share ideas makes an origin story not even worth dwelling on. Fandom, as much as it can destroy, also creates and nurtures. :foryou:

Heck, I'm in my early twenties and the first ever comic I read was a newsstand Superior Spider-Man 8 at a Barnes and Noble, but I eventually discovered greats like the Dark Knight Returns, Spawn, as well as the Spider-Man costume saga and MUCH MUCH more, and sadly I have no real life counter parts to rejoice in these discoveries with, but that's what makes the boards such a great place.

Edited by Skylath

It's people like you @poorcollector that the hobby needs now more than ever.   You are the one who will keep it going.  In this onslaught of digital media, short attention spans, and lack of old fashion collecting mentality, you are more important to this genre than you give yourself credit for.  It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:43 PM, poorcollector said:

How do I get more comfortable with my collecting origins, and become happier with my collection?

Just collect what you enjoy.  Your origin story now also includes posting your question here, and getting some pretty positive support... that's a pretty cool part of your origin story.  Or, perhaps your origin story is a whole franchise/extended universe, and you've only seen the first part so far. 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:43 PM, poorcollector said:

Am I just being self conscious and over thinking?  

Yes.

Reading comic books should be fun.  Collecting comic books should be fun.  And collecting is not a contest, but a personal hobby driven by one's own satisfaction and enjoyment.  There's always somebody out there better looking, more athletic, smarter, richer, younger, and with a more impressive collection than you or me.  Doesn't change the fun and enjoyment.

If you're finding it tough to connect with others who collect what you like to collect and are near your own age, I'd recommend spending time at your local comic book shops and going to a comic convention in your area.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

Edited by namisgr

10 minutes ago, namisgr said:

There's always somebody out there better looking, more athletic, richer, younger, and with a more impressive collection than you or me.  

Not if the attendees of the London Comic Fair are anything to go by :eek:

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not if the attendees of the London Comic Fair are anything to go by :eek:

If that's where you go to hang out with the richest, most beautiful, smartest, youngest Londoners, then no wonder your search disappoints.  :baiting:

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

If that's where you go to hang out with the richest, most beautiful, youngest Londoners, then no wonder your search is falling short.  :baiting:

I knew I was in the wrong place!

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

If that's where you go to hang out with the richest, most beautiful, smartest, youngest Londoners, then no wonder your search disappoints.  :baiting:

I think GoldyAndy mentioned that he met Mick Jones there,he-Mick-is a long noted comic fan.I believe he pawned his first round of SA Marvels to help the band with something in early Clash days.