• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 14 Wrong Back Cover Questions

21 posts in this topic

Hey! I recently purchased an ASM 14 in fair condition that has the wrong back cover. Overall, it’s in pretty rough shape, with tape over the spine and the front cover. Would it be recommended to completely remove the current wrong back cover? If I do, should I replace it with one that matches the original? I was searching through eBay, and Sgt Fury 8 has the same back cover as ASM 14. I included some pictures below to give some context.

Thanks,

Joey

1CAA94AC-9A26-4D07-8B56-2D985DA91E1B.jpeg

It all depends on whether you think you can remove the wrong cover without causing further damage and if it’s even worth trying and also how and if you intend to attach the newer cover. In any case, you should disclose the info to any potential buyer after making your decision to avoid opening a can of worms you might otherwise regret. You’d probably get more interested buyers if you leave it as is and let them decide what to do once they’ve paid and accepted it as described

It's such a low grade rough comic that you really don't have to worry about doing anything to it.  Yes, carefully take that wrong back cover off and put the new one on. 

Sgt Fury 8 IS the correct back cover AND is very affordable so go for it.  I know I wouldn't want this comic with the wrong back cover.

When attempting to replace a cover or a cut coupon, the department number of the ad is all important.

The same seed ad will appear dozens of times, but the department number is a quality control issue. A few years ago, I was selling a high dollar DC when it was pointed out that the back cover ad had a different department number than it should. Someone had done a very good job slicing the back cover on, but once you knew it was wrong, it was obvious. It fooled me because I never thought to check department numbers before.

I'm sure most collectors know this, but hopefully some newcomer learns a bit.

32 minutes ago, shadroch said:

When attempting to replace a cover or a cut coupon, the department number of the ad is all important.

The same seed ad will appear dozens of times, but the department number is a quality control issue. A few years ago, I was selling a high dollar DC when it was pointed out that the back cover ad had a different department number than it should. Someone had done a very good job slicing the back cover on, but once you knew it was wrong, it was obvious. It fooled me because I never thought to check department numbers before.

I'm sure most collectors know this, but hopefully some newcomer learns a bit.

Where is the dept number located on the back cover?

11 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

1.jpeg.da78a5486f6b118404a543c7e5b1fd17.jpeg

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:

On the coupon, the address is American Seed Company, Dept 632. Each book should have a separate dept number per ad.

I checked the correct back cover for ASM #14 and didn't see a dept number on the coupon..  

2 hours ago, TTV Norman CU said:

It's not a seed ad but bottom right - 7284?

I checked mine, that's the back cover.

Yes, and the back cover for Sgt Fury 8 has the same Dept #.  

The OP did his/her homework.

There's a buyitnow for $15 on ebay right now.  Or..... wait it out and buy one for under $10.

Edited by gadzukes

Thanks for all the responses! After reexamining the book, I think that the back cover should be easily removed. I will probably buy a copy of Sgt Fury 8 on eBay and use that back cover for the book. What would be the best way of removing the Sgt Fury 8 back cover? Should I remove the staples then use a straight edge to cut off the back cover? After doing this I assume it will still be fairly obvious that the back cover is in much better shape than the front. If I were to CGC it in the future, would it be possible to receive a 1.0 (after replacing the back cover)? I don’t have any plans of grading it now, but if I do have to sell it in the future, it would be good to know.

Is the inside back cover the same on both books.

I'm sorry but if having the wrong cover on your book bothers you, it seems internationally replacing it with another wrong cover will still bother you.  Why not just put a backing board in the bag so you can't see it.

Edited by shadroch

6 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

Thanks for all the responses! After reexamining the book, I think that the back cover should be easily removed. I will probably buy a copy of Sgt Fury 8 on eBay and use that back cover for the book. What would be the best way of removing the Sgt Fury 8 back cover? Should I remove the staples then use a straight edge to cut off the back cover? After doing this I assume it will still be fairly obvious that the back cover is in much better shape than the front. If I were to CGC it in the future, would it be possible to receive a 1.0 (after replacing the back cover)? I don’t have any plans of grading it now, but if I do have to sell it in the future, it would be good to know.

That's a good question concerning how CGC would grade the book with the correct back cover replacing an incorrect one. I could see the book being graded a Qualified .5  based on the condition of the rest of the book...

Just now, JoeJ said:

The inside back cover is the exact same. Both books are from the same month and year, making the back cover identical. I would want to replace it so as to make it totally complete.

You won't have a complete book. Right now you have a book with a married wrong cover. It seems like an awful lot of work to end up with a book with a married cover.

I don't believe buying another book, and the work involved in removing two covers and replacing one is worth it.

Right now you have a green or purple 0.5 or maybe a 1.0. When you finish, you will still have a green or purple 0.5 or 1.0.

Hopefully, you aren't in it for a lot of money, but putting more money probably isn't the best use of your dollars. 

In the end, it's your book and your money.