• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married pages

75 posts in this topic

Hypothetical.  A married book where you can't tell it's been done except the staples on the new wrap were in a slightly different position so the 4 old staple holes are present.

How many grades would that drop the book..?

If it was a vertical difference and it wasn't the centrefold you wouldn't see it so assume its a slight horizontal difference.

54 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Hypothetical.  A married book where you can't tell it's been done except the staples on the new wrap were in a slightly different position so the 4 old staple holes are present.

If it was a vertical difference and it wasn't the centrefold you wouldn't see it so assume its a slight horizontal difference.

Kind of an oxymoron, yes?

Can't really tell without seeing the book in question.

Post #10,000

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kind of an oxymoron, yes?

Can't really tell without seeing the book in question.

Post #10,000

No not oxymoron - its a job where you'd never know apart from the spare staple holes.  You'd have to make new ones in the wrap so the old holes would be there.  There is no particular book I'm just wondering:  what is people's default reduction in grade for married if its done very well.

Of course if the staples aligned and the pages match you'd never know.  Same if staples out but vertical - the spare holes would be hidden by the spine.

12 minutes ago, mike devon said:

No not oxymoron - its a job where you'd never know apart from the spare staple holes.  You'd have to make new ones in the wrap so the old holes would be there.  There is no particular book I'm just wondering:  what is people's default reduction in grade for married if its done very well.

Of course if the staples aligned and the pages match you'd never know.  Same if staples out but vertical - the spare holes would be hidden by the spine.

That's not really the case. There could very well be PQ discrepancies.

We can't estimate how much this could affect the condition if we don't know the overall condition. There is no universal method to assessing a single defect.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's not really the case. There could very well be PQ discrepancies.

We can't estimate how much this could affect the condition if we don't know the overall condition. There is no universal method to assessing a single defect.

Sure I've covered that:  'and the pages match' - no difference in pages apart from the 4 extra holes.

Agree there's no universal method but I'm just looking for opinions.

For me its mostly about the covers.  These things are generally slabbed so thats all you ever see + I just don't care as much about the interiors.  I don't understand interiors being described as 'white' - no silver age newsprint comic ever had white pages even when it was on the printing press.

6 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Sure I've covered that:  'and the pages match' - no difference in pages apart from the 4 extra holes.

Agree there's no universal method but I'm just looking for opinions.

For me its mostly about the covers.  These things are generally slabbed so thats all you ever see + I just don't care as much about the interiors.  I don't understand interiors being described as 'white' - no silver age newsprint comic ever had white pages even when it was on the printing press.

Without a universal method to grading flaws, and no particular book, this is an exercise in futility.

"White pages" simply means 'in (roughly) same condition as printed'.

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Without a universal method to grading flaws, and no particular book, this is an exercise in futility.

"White pages" simply means 'in (roughly) same condition as printed'.

No I'm just asking the group how much married pages bother them.  For some apparently its not much and others wouldn't want the book.

5 minutes ago, mike devon said:

No I'm just asking the group how much married pages bother them.  For some apparently its not much and others wouldn't want the book.

???

It still depends book-to-book, though. Would I want a restored copy of Spawn #1? Nope! Superman #1? Sure!

I don't think the extra staple holes would affect the grade much, IMO. Interior flaws aren't generally viewed as harshly as flaws on the cover, unless it relates to overall page quality. Of course, major interior problems (such as clipped coupons, missing pages or large pieces missing) can affect the grade dramatically.

And the white pages designation can mean a few different things, but it usually means there's no age toning or discoloration to the pages (even if the pages aren't actually bone white).  ;)

Edited by The Lions Den

This is why I'm finding the whole grading/slabbing thing a bit wahey  IMHO a real eye candy book that technically loses on interior/back flaws etc is more desirable than a higher grade with a few visible cover creases etc - see what I mean..?

24 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I don't think the extra staple holes would affect the grade much, IMO. Interior flaws aren't generally viewed as harshly as flaws on the cover, unless it relates to overall page quality. Of course, major interior problems (such as clipped coupons, missing pages or large pieces missing) can affect the grade dramatically.

And the white pages designation can mean a few different things, but it usually means there's no age toning or discoloration to the pages (even if the pages aren't actually bone white).  ;)

Yeah - I think if the married wrap obviously didn't match that would harm the grade more.  Saying that wraps can vary anyway.

All depends on degree and buyer.

29 minutes ago, mike devon said:

This is why I'm finding the whole grading/slabbing thing a bit wahey  IMHO a real eye candy book that technically loses on interior/back flaws etc is more desirable than a higher grade with a few visible cover creases etc - see what I mean..?

I do see what you mean. It's all about the eye candy...  :)

Humour aside, if I had a really old Golden Age or high value key, I would not have a problem marrying a cover or even pages from a beater copy onto a better copy to make it look nice. Even if the missing pages were just set inside the comic loose, I would be happy to know it is complete and I have the whole story. Same with a coverless book getting a cover that I just kept loose over the interior. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Humour aside, if I had a really old Golden Age or high value key, I would not have a problem marrying a cover or even pages from a beater copy onto a better copy to make it look nice. Even if the missing pages were just set inside the comic loose, I would be happy to know it is complete and I have the whole story. Same with a coverless book getting a cover that I just kept loose over the interior. 

Agree.  I guess on a million dollar book it would affect the value more..?  If I was paying a million I think I'd need the book to be as it was made.

4 hours ago, mike devon said:

I don't think it would drop the grade at all.  Definitely a Green label though.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, gadzukes said:

I don't think it would drop the grade at all.  Definitely a Green label though.

I think this is the answer you will get a green label and the valuations that follow GLOD AND PLOD's lol