• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Married pages

75 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I think this is the answer you will get a green label and the valuations that follow GLOD AND PLOD's lol 

Heh - although those labels do sell.  Honestly if I wanted a smart ASM50 and it had pro colour touching it wouldn't put me off - if its done well you can't tell unless you use a glass.

I'd expect to pay a bit less but not buckets less as I don't mind pro work if the book looks better.  Same with toy boxes.

Edited by mike devon

On 2/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Humour aside, if I had a really old Golden Age or high value key, I would not have a problem marrying a cover or even pages from a beater copy onto a better copy to make it look nice. Even if the missing pages were just set inside the comic loose, I would be happy to know it is complete and I have the whole story. Same with a coverless book getting a cover that I just kept loose over the interior. 

But what % drop would you expect from a complete book..?  30% off..?

Well an incomplete book is a 0.5 grade.

So he is saying if he married pages to make it "complete", he would expect it to be worth 30% less than what a regular CGC 0.5 is worth.

Scenario time!!

Say a coverless but complete copy of some desired comic sells for $100. 

If someone has taken the time to find a cover for the same book and just put the two together (claimed they were originally together), I would pay a bit more because now I don't have to hunt for a cover. Maybe I pay $150-200 for this book now

If the book is coverless and missing pages, I am not wanting to pay more than $50, likely even less. 

If someone has married the missing pages, I would pay $50-75

If someone has married the missing pages and added the missing cover, I would pay $125-150

You can do math and figure out the percentages and what not but that is how I am feeling in terms of numbers. 

Edited by comicginger1789

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Well an incomplete book is a 0.5 grade.

So he is saying if he married pages to make it "complete", he would expect it to be worth 30% less than what a regular CGC 0.5 is worth.

Scenario time!!

Say a coverless but complete copy of some desired comic sells for $100. 

If someone has taken the time to find a cover for the same book and just put the two together (claimed they were originally together), I would pay a bit more because now I don't have to hunt for a cover. Maybe I pay $150-200 for this book now

If the book is coverless and missing pages, I am not wanting to pay more than $50, likely even less. 

If someone has married the missing pages, I would pay $50-75

If someone has married the missing pages and added the missing cover, I would pay $125-150

You can do math and figure out the percentages and what not but that is how I am feeling in terms of numbers. 

Oh I get you.  Interesting although I've seen books with non-story pages missing sell for very high amounts - GLOD..?

5 hours ago, mike devon said:

Oh I get you.  Interesting although I've seen books with non-story pages missing sell for very high amounts - GLOD..?

GLOD is Green label of Death same as PLOD being purple label of death.

most people generally want Blue/Universal labels. 

15 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

GLOD is Green label of Death same as PLOD being purple label of death.

most people generally want Blue/Universal labels. 

Cheers yeah I know what they are but mileage varies..?  A PLOD would be given for a 1mm square pro colour touch..?  It all seems a bit random to me.

Restoration call-out isn't "random". Restoration gives the illusion of something that the comic book isn't - original.

CGC scales restoration from pro (A) to amateur (C). Also from 'apparent' to 'slight'. Nothing random about it.

Some techniques have been reassessed as conservative and/or non-restorative. Improving the process doesn't make it random, either, though.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Restoration call-out isn't "random". Restoration gives the illusion of something that the comic book isn't - original.

CGC scales restoration from pro (A) to amateur (C). Also from 'apparent' to 'slight'. Nothing random about it.

Some techniques have been reassessed as conservative and/or non-restorative. Improving the process doesn't make it random, either, though.

Yes agree but a 1mm pro colour touch will get a purple 'death' label and halve the value of the book..?  Seems out of whack to me..?  Unless I'm over-estimtaing the value drop for a 'minor' PLOD..?

2 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Yes agree but a 1mm pro colour touch will get a purple 'death' label and halve the value of the book..?  Seems out of whack to me..?  Unless I'm over-estimtaing the value drop for a 'minor' PLOD..?

Buy the book - not the label.

Restoration is restoration. Period. If I can get a Superman #1 with a dot of color touch for half the price of a Universal label? I buy it, crack it, and laugh maniacally all the way home from the post office.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Restoration is restoration. Period. If I can get a Superman #1 with a dot of color touch for half the price of a Universal label? I buy it, crack it, and laugh maniacally all the way home from the post office.

0C96B749-FBCA-44BE-9EBC-710A7C264CFB.gif

Edited by B2D327
Better pic

On 2/10/2020 at 6:46 AM, mike devon said:

Hypothetical.  A married book where you can't tell it's been done except the staples on the new wrap were in a slightly different position so the 4 old staple holes are present.

How many grades would that drop the book..?

The bigger issue here is that I fear the book might no longer get the universal blue label. So the grade might not change much but the book's value can be cut in half or more.

Also, CGC will be able to tell what's been done and they are more likely to make the mistake of saying an untouched book has been touched then missing it.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:18 AM, mike devon said:

I don't understand interiors being described as 'white' - no silver age newsprint comic ever had white pages even when it was on the printing press.

They aren't super common, but some books have remained fresh. I have some silver age books with really nice white pages and I even have some golden age books with white pages. It's really stunning to look inside, the colours look so bright.

10 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

The bigger issue here is that I fear the book might no longer get the universal blue label. So the grade might not change much but the book's value can be cut in half or more.

Also, CGC will be able to tell what's been done and they are more likely to make the mistake of saying an untouched book has been touched then missing it.

Yeah - I think mileage would vary.  I wouldn't be interested in a married book from the 70s but a very early Silver Age one I might depending on which one it was and whether it was a decent job.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You must have heard me laughing maniacally when I found my Af15 7.0 PLOD that turned out to have one dot of color touch.  When CT dot was removed & resubmitted I got a 7.0 Blue.

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it isnt just staple holes that are used to determine if a cover is married.

Ink rubs, transfer from paper touching paper (inner cover to splash and last page to inside back cover) are another identifier.

Yeah - tampered staples, non-matching whiteness, trimmed edges, damage to the pages on re-insertion of staples - can't think of anything else but I'm sure there is other stuff.

If done well though would be pretty much impossible to detect - the tolerances the books were made under just aren't high enough.  I've seen mangled staples that are obviously from the factory. 

Edited by mike devon

On 2/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

???

It still depends book-to-book, though. Would I want a restored copy of Spawn #1? Nope! Superman #1? Sure!

This is the issue. Every alteration on a book shrinks the pool of potential buyers. 

Personally,  I wouldn't buy a green or purple ASM50. 

On the other hand I'm looking for a IH1 and FF1 that presents well. In my price range I'll be looking at really beat up blue labels vs nicer looking purple labels. Maybe I would consider purple,  but I still wouldn't want green. 

When would I buy green?  Hard to find golden age. Superman 1, I would grab in any condition if I could afford it. 

I recently bought a Tec 26 with no back cover and love it.