• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OFFER - to press interior pages

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a coverless book or maybe even single wrap that are creased or water damaged that they wouldn't mind an attempt to press..?

I know how to press paper correctly using a proper conservator method.  The reason I don't do it on whole books is the risk when disassembling/reassembling - the covers are easy to scratch with the staples.

A single wrap would be ideal.  If anyone's interested give me a shout.  No charge but acceptance of risk however slight.  That said I've done dozens of toy boxes with no problems and got fantastic results.

21 minutes ago, mike devon said:

It would be handy if someone could explain why this is seemingly a problem..?  Its only a suggestion.

1. Why would you be looking for a coverless book? Most shops have them, or simply pull the cover off a beater copy if you really want to practice your trade.
  2. CGC has its own pressing service and probably will delete this thread. I say this from experience. 
  3. Most will take issue with your methods (the ones you self described) in your post. 

I'm not sure I follow, couldn't the OP just buy any amount of trash old books (VERY cheaply) and just practice (or do whatever he wants with them, none of my business) pressing?

With that being said, I do feel like you could 'advertise' in the dealer section of the boards, if you really didn't want any out of pocket costs.

FREE PRESSING OF DAMAGED COVERLESS BOOKS!!!!

I think you've misread my post somewhat.  What method is there to disagree with..?   I didn't say how I do it.

I don't need to practice I'm trained to do this.

It was for fun more than anything - if anyone's got an old wrap thats a bit creased or water damage-wrinkly I can flatten it out.

I DON'T dismantle books in order to press them.  Too risky.

7 hours ago, mike devon said:

I don't need to practice I'm trained to do this.

I am glad that you are using paper conservator methods. Probably easiest to buy $1 vintage low grade Disneys, Westerns and Bugs Bunny to practice on. Watch out for how the staples may pinch in on the 1st wrap if you are not dismantling.

4 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I am glad that you are using paper conservator methods. Probably easiest to buy $1 vintage low grade Disneys, Westerns and Bugs Bunny to practice on. Watch out for how the staples may pinch in on the 1st wrap if you are not dismantling.

Cheers.  I would only press wraps not whole books.  I don't need to practice I know how to do it. The suggestion was purely for fun it doesn't matter if no-one'sinterested.

Pressing can be a mixed blessing.  It can produce amazing results on old boxes that have warped but also if there are a lot of colour breaks in creases it can look odd. 

actually it's kind of interesting to hear about pressing the boxes for toys as I didn't know about this and I have recently started collecting some early childhood action figures in boxes from the 90's...

7 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

actually it's kind of interesting to hear about pressing the boxes for toys as I didn't know about this and I have recently started collecting some early childhood action figures in boxes from the 90's...

Saw someone mention it on YouTube about the funky pops boxes too. Before that it was completely off my radar

6 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Saw someone mention it on YouTube about the funky pops boxes too. Before that it was completely off my radar

yeah same I have some action figures Spiderman the animated series most of boxes are in decent condition but if they press and can look near perfect to display that might be cool... I know they aren't worth much but in a cool presentation with my comics/reprints I think it would be awesome.. 

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I'm confused. In this thread, you're using Giles Hargraves at Asgard Comics in the UK to press comics:

But days later you've become an experienced presser using "proper conservator methods"?

Yep.  As I've mentioned quite a few times now I won't disassemble a whole book.  Giles presses whole books and as far as I understand it he doesn't disassemble them.

31 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah same I have some action figures Spiderman the animated series most of boxes are in decent condition but if they press and can look near perfect to display that might be cool... I know they aren't worth much but in a cool presentation with my comics/reprints I think it would be awesome.. 

Boxes can be transformed by being pressed.  I've had some amazing results.  Again the tricky bit is dismantling them in the first place.  I also do retouching which combined with pressing can give great results.

I wouldn't retouch a comic though its a completely different ballgame.