• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags & Boards for valuable comics
4 4

45 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

(tsk)  And don't use those thicker 4 mil mylars, especially with the flaps that fold over...., dammit!  You can hardly get the books in and out without damaging them! :sumo: 

yeah I use the 2mill mylar but sometimes I do a bronze/silver age with at GA/SA as a second sleeve. Double it up right.. like gloves for loves... right.. :facepalm::roflmao:

8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Over time the adhesive on color coded labels lots dries up and leaves residue, guaranteed. The only two things I would use are painters tape or, because it makes Lizards happy, post-its.

You may be right, I’ve only used these for 10 years or so.

The residue I was referring to is the sticky gum left on the bag when you remove some types of tape, even when new.

I've tried several different methods of bags/boards/tape and have finally found what I think is the perfect solution.

Mylar bags with clear backing boards and Scotch double sided tape.

After placing the book and board inside the bag I put a piece of the double sided tape on the back of the bag first. 
Then I fold over the flap and press down over the tape. This does a couple of things that I like. Mylar makes my books look great and with the clear boards I can see the back cover too. The Scotch double sided tape almost completely disappears so as not to block the view of the back cover. Also, when applied as described above, the tape stays on the back of the bag and the flap opens with no tape attached, No worries of accidentally catching the tape on the book.

86488963_3414315165261818_1225704080534405120_o.jpg

83887606_3414315535261781_8105819188498530304_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Heronext said:
12 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Over time the adhesive on color coded labels lots dries up and leaves residue, guaranteed. The only two things I would use are painters tape or, because it makes Lizards happy, post-its.

You may be right, I’ve only used these for 10 years or so.

The residue I was referring to is the sticky gum left on the bag when you remove some types of tape, even when new.

He is right.  And the carppier the storage conditions, the quicker the degradation.  I need to post the rant I did in skypinkblu's thread here....., if I can find it.

found it:

"Wow - I must be the crank of the boards.  And Sha must have the memory of a sharp, sharp elephant.

Since we're on my crankiness, I thought I'd throw in a new Public Service Announcement on Collection Cleanliness, or my anti-cootie tirade.  My newest beef is the comic bags and boards that come in on my purchases..., certainly not the ones from you, Sha, though, as you gets it.  :preach:

What is up with the toasted comic bags, covered with glue, stickers, sticker residue, tape, tape residue, snot, boogers, bile, Krispy Kreme donut slop, Dorito powder, bacon, eggs, dog hair, pubic hair AND stuff I'm afraid to identify in mixed company?  Are these battle scars from convention traveling, OR...., what???  And the backing boards - some have off-gassing from sitting in a garage for 20 years, and most are corner dunned, creased, yellowed to high heaven?  

No one wants to receive additions to their prized collection in this junk.  And finally, wash your hands once in a while!  Have some pride people!!!  :foryou: "

On 2/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, lizards2 said:

(tsk)  And don't use those thicker 4 mil mylars, especially with the flaps that fold over...., dammit!  You can hardly get the books in and out without damaging them! :sumo: 

I had to remove bunch of books in those old Cole Sure-locks while doing a CGC submission last summer.  Was purchasing them for a short time with new books in the mid 80's. Well I may have been smart putting them in Mylar as kid but removing the books too much of risk .  I have nice old paper cutter, I carefully laid down the books and chopped off the very top of the Mylars. No issues. Did it on 6 books have them all back now in 9.8 slabs

But yeah folding flaps on 4 mil Mylar are a firm avoid!

Edited by MAR1979

Anyone get some Fullbacks lately that have what looks like rust spots on them?  Here's what I mean:

qQbrlN7.jpg

DzyQLpp.jpg

And here's what happens if you scratch the stuff off:

EyNAmu8.jpg

@HOTFLIPS These came from yall a few months ago.  Any ideas? 

12 out of the 50 are basically unusable.  

On 4/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, Beastfeast said:
On 4/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, lizards2 said:

Recycled toilet paper?

Sharing is caring.  

Someone squeezed the Charmin....., :shiftyeyes:

On 2/10/2020 at 9:24 PM, lizards2 said:

Never use tape around comics, that is just dumb and asking for trouble.  Especially with mylar products - it sticks, it degrades, it makes a mess out of your mylars/mylites.

Use these, or equivalent: 

b1d8d8c80e1ee54b5abcdd9fded763518e.jpg

I recently tried these but it did not go well. Might be the mylars I used but these post its just do not hold the flap.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:18 PM, Artboy99 said:

I recently tried these but it did not go well. Might be the mylars I used but these post its just do not hold the flap.

So they are fairly wimpy, which is partially the point. I put a hard fold in my M2s with a bone folder prior to putting in the Fullback. Others have commented that you can do this with a fingernail.

On 4/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, lizards2 said:

So they are fairly wimpy, which is partially the point. I put a hard fold in my M2s with a bone folder prior to putting in the Fullback. Others have commented that you can do this with a fingernail.

I did that but i find they still let go over a short period of time. They are standing upright in a spinner rack if that makes a difference. I am also using very thick boards (56 point)

Edited by Artboy99

On 4/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, Artboy99 said:

I did that but i find they still let go over a short period of time. They are standing upright in a spinner rack if that makes a difference. I am also using very thick boards (56 point)

Mine are mostly squeezing each other upright in boxes, but some are stacked flat in boxes.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, lizards2 said:

Mine are mostly squeezing each other upright in boxes, but some are stacked flat in boxes.

The ones at the back of the spinner rack pockets always pop open.

I have unfortunately gone back to tape. :(

On 4/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, Beastfeast said:

Anyone get some Fullbacks lately that have what looks like rust spots on them?  Here's what I mean:

qQbrlN7.jpg

DzyQLpp.jpg

And here's what happens if you scratch the stuff off:

EyNAmu8.jpg

@HOTFLIPS These came from yall a few months ago.  Any ideas? 

12 out of the 50 are basically unusable.  

As others have alluded to......that's completely normal and nothing to worry about.......it's just poop.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:24 PM, lizards2 said:

Never use tape around comics, that is just dumb and asking for trouble.  Especially with mylar products - it sticks, it degrades, it makes a mess out of your mylars/mylites.

Use these, or equivalent: 

b1d8d8c80e1ee54b5abcdd9fded763518e.jpg

I have purchased a literal ton of comic books that were in Mylites that were sealed with scotch tape and the tape residue that remained on the bags after removing it made the bags worthless. Archives also retain tape residue in my experience but can still be used; however, not in an acid free box, for example, because the archive with residue to will stick to the archive in front and/or in back of it.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Another typo!

On 2/11/2020 at 10:29 PM, Keith Mayo said:

I've tried several different methods of bags/boards/tape and have finally found what I think is the perfect solution.

Mylar bags with clear backing boards and Scotch double sided tape.

After placing the book and board inside the bag I put a piece of the double sided tape on the back of the bag first. 
Then I fold over the flap and press down over the tape. This does a couple of things that I like. Mylar makes my books look great and with the clear boards I can see the back cover too. The Scotch double sided tape almost completely disappears so as not to block the view of the back cover. Also, when applied as described above, the tape stays on the back of the bag and the flap opens with no tape attached, No worries of accidentally catching the tape on the book.

86488963_3414315165261818_1225704080534405120_o.jpg

83887606_3414315535261781_8105819188498530304_o.jpg

I love that title being a Poe fan.