• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saratoga Comic Con May 2-3 CGC Witness Needed!!

14 posts in this topic

Title says it all. I need to somehow find a CGC witness for Saratoga Comic Con (In New York) on May 2-3rd to witness some J.O.Barr signatures.  

How would I go about getting this done or does anyone live close by that can help me out? Would mean a lot to me because CGC doesn’t actually attend small conventions like this.  

thanks!!

1 hour ago, hachimaull said:

Title says it all. I need to somehow find a CGC witness for Saratoga Comic Con (In New York) on May 2-3rd to witness some J.O.Barr signatures.  

How would I go about getting this done or does anyone live close by that can help me out? Would mean a lot to me because CGC doesn’t actually attend small conventions like this.  

thanks!!

Very generally, it has to be worth the while of a Cgc facilitator to go to the convention if they weren’t otherwise going.  By that I mean financially.  So if you’re submitting a ton of books or willing to pay a high bounty, lead with that and start messaging the facilitators

40 minutes ago, revat said:

Very generally, it has to be worth the while of a Cgc facilitator to go to the convention if they weren’t otherwise going.  By that I mean financially.  So if you’re submitting a ton of books or willing to pay a high bounty, lead with that and start messaging the facilitators

that’s very true but u never know. It’s a very little con maybe someone will be there, so I’m reaching out to see. I’m not looking for someone to go out of there way Or anything  but it would be a good idea with them signing on James Barr to have someone there. (Not cgc personally but some facilitator or witness) cuz I’m sure u could get a bunch of people around here to toss them 10 bucks a book to send in cgc orders or something.  

8 hours ago, hachimaull said:

that’s very true but u never know. It’s a very little con maybe someone will be there, so I’m reaching out to see. I’m not looking for someone to go out of there way Or anything  but it would be a good idea with them signing on James Barr to have someone there. (Not cgc personally but some facilitator or witness) cuz I’m sure u could get a bunch of people around here to toss them 10 bucks a book to send in cgc orders or something.  

There’s a big difference between seeing if any facilitators are going and trying to get one to go.

If you’re trying to convince someone to go, think of the costs involved, and then think of how many books it would take to break even and then how many to even make a moderate profit.  Don’t forget about the state and federal income taxes in your calculation, or gas, convention fees, hotel, food, ancillary costs, opportunity costs, travel time, parking, etc

can you guarantee that many books? 

9 hours ago, hachimaull said:

(Fighting hard against sarcasm :angel:)   If you are going to get in the SS game, you need to give up the notion that "Tossing someone $10 a book" is either doing them a favor, or the road to getting what you want done, done.  Back in 2007 you could do it that way.  But the guys who have made it through are hobby-loving businessmen, and while they love to help collectors, they still need buy them Huggies. And Revat laid out the costs above, plus they have overhead (witness expenses, website etc.) and profit to consider.  If you are serious, you need to put together a financially satisfactory package. Otherwise, you need to find an already-being-attended O'Barr appearance and then $10-20 bucks a books will very likely get it done. 

Also, your language is contradictory, so you are going to have a hard time getting people to mobilize.  Posting "Witness Needed!!" and then later saying "I'm not asking anyone to go out of their way" is completely contradictory and you don't want to get a reputation as a wolf-crier or a flake.

Well it’s worth the ask. I know people r in the area to do this and tickets r only $20 so u can’t blame me for reaching out on the forums  to see. I’m not asking someone to drive 5 hours to go to a convention that’s smaller than ur local convenience store that’s full of vendors trying to rip off people by paying 2x more than eBay prices. 

I’m doing 8-10 books personally and I’m sure others would love this opportunity as well so doesn’t hurt to make a post. Then again people r all about making money and ripping others off So maybe I shouldn’t even of bothered. 

Either way he’s going to revolution con In California 2 weeks after this Event so I can just get my books signed there. It’s not a big deal, I’d just rather do it myself and get a cool remark than go through a friend. 

but damn I didn’t expect u guys to be individual_without_enough_empathys so thanks for that! 

11 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

Well it’s worth the ask. I know people r in the area to do this and tickets r only $20 so u can’t blame me for reaching out on the forums  to see. I’m not asking someone to drive 5 hours to go to a convention that’s smaller than ur local convenience store that’s full of vendors trying to rip off people by paying 2x more than eBay prices. 

I’m doing 8-10 books personally and I’m sure others would love this opportunity as well so doesn’t hurt to make a post. Then again people r all about making money and ripping others off So maybe I shouldn’t even of bothered. 

Either way he’s going to revolution con In California 2 weeks after this Event so I can just get my books signed there. It’s not a big deal, I’d just rather do it myself and get a cool remark than go through a friend. 

but damn I didn’t expect u guys to be individual_without_enough_empathys so thanks for that! 

As I stated previously, there's a big difference between:

"Hey, if any facilitators are going to this, please let me know, I got some comics to get signed."

and

"HEY FACILITATORS, PLEASE GO TO THIS CON, HERE'S WHY."

of course the 1st one would be nice, and would be preferable, and certainly possible (best of luck)

BUT it sounded like you were also making an attempt at the 2nd one (nothing wrong with making the attempt).  But in making the attempt, it seemed like you think its akin to asking a buddy to go to the bars tonight if they have time because your girlfriend is bringing her sister when its REALLY you asking a stranger to drive an hour or two, do a full day or two of work (mostly standing at that), pay all of their own food, gas, parking, hotels, convention fees, and burn their whole weekend in the HOPES of a non-guaranteed net  profit of what, maybe $200-$400 per day at most after trip expenses, before overhead and taxes?  And its not like Albany/Saratoga is a prime tourist destination where you can make a weekend of it.

Also of note that this con takes place flush in the middle of convention season, so there's either bigger cons that weekend, or there are bigger cons to recover from or prepare for.

I know it can feel like we're raining on your parade or whatever, but I promise we've all been in your boat when there's no facilitators going to a con we really want signed books from.  But if you want to make a case, you need on the boards or anywhere for anything, it helps to understand the underlying economics.  That happens a lot here, people think that since we're all comic fans, that people will feel some shared uniform larger responsibility to collectors or whatever.  A while its nice when people go out of their way to help, real people (who are also comic enthusiasts) are running real businesses and making decisions to feed their families.

There is nothing wrong with asking if witnesses will be available for a con on the boards. There is also nothing wrong with explaining to people the ins and outs of why smaller cons don't have witnesses. But there really is no need to start name calling and being rude to people. I see this on these boards a lot and its pretty sad. If you all want to have a healthy community of people who love comics, perhaps be a bit nicer to the newer members. Be the hero and not the villain ....

Also, I live in the Albany area and I haven't seen any ability to have witnesses at the small cons around here, I don't think you will have much luck. Your best bet is to make the trek up to NYCC in the fall.

45 minutes ago, Jasten said:

There is nothing wrong with asking if witnesses will be available for a con on the boards. There is also nothing wrong with explaining to people the ins and outs of why smaller cons don't have witnesses. But there really is no need to start name calling and being rude to people. I see this on these boards a lot and its pretty sad. If you all want to have a healthy community of people who love comics, perhaps be a bit nicer to the newer members. Be the hero and not the villain ....

Also, I live in the Albany area and I haven't seen any ability to have witnesses at the small cons around here, I don't think you will have much luck. Your best bet is to make the trek up to NYCC in the fall.

Maybe the newer members shouldn't call the older members individual_without_enough_empathys first. Reading is fundamental.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:44 PM, hachimaull said:

thanks!!

You may have better luck using a facilitator for Comic Con Revolution Ontario where he will be appearing.  Celestial Comics is going and while people on the boards have had bad experiences with them, I've used them before and have not had any major issues.  

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:
3 hours ago, Jasten said:

Maybe the newer members shouldn't call the older members individual_without_enough_empathys first. Reading is fundamental.

I think in general, people are pretty helpful to newcomers, with the exception of newcomers who judge the people they're asking for help and/or act entitled to the help (or don't think to provide the basics to have someone help them).  

Which isn't to say that I don't occasionally ask half-baked questions and get dunked on in life or on the boards, I do and I should. 

I happened to be in Saratoga this past Halloween and checked out the fall edition of this show.  It was very disappointing - no more than three people selling comics, and they seemed to primarily have boxes of random back issues.

However, if you are looking for kettle corn, or custom leather chaps Those tables seemed to be very well stocked.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:44 PM, hachimaull said:

thanks!!

He will also be at Great Philadelphia Comic Con.  I believe that @Kevlar is taking submissions.  He is awesome to work with and I recommend him as a facilitator.

https://www.philadelphiacomiccon.com/guests/