• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 14

72 posts in this topic

I would be more in 4.5- 5.0 range that stress has a lot of wear, colour breaking creases, staple stress rounded edges and bends a press can help that corner and has a bit of grit.

Nice book I recently picked up a 3.0 

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I would be more in 4.5- 5.0 range that stress has a lot of wear, colour breaking creases, staple stress rounded edges and bends a press can help that corner and has a bit of grit.

Nice book I recently picked up a 3.0 

Cheers sir.  Do you think clean and press might add 0.5..?

(I love the Ditko art - I haven't perused these old ones for ages and its easy to see why it became so popular)

Edited by mike devon
oops

13 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers sir.  Do you think clean and press might add 0.5..?

(I love the Ditko art - I haven't perused these old ones for ages and its easy to see why it became so popular)

yeah a press can help.

Thanks so far chaps.  I thought I was being a bit strict but you mostly seem about .5 lower than me.   I guess a press would iron that out.

Forgot to mention name written on splash - very small at top outside image area - does that make a difference at this mid/low level of grade..?

Edited by mike devon
hang on

I need this issue lol. Gotta pull the trigger before it gets outta my range.

If I am selling, I advertise as 4.5. Realistically I think 5.0 is the actuality. Mayyybbbeee a shot at 5.5 with a press although there is a lot of wear along that spine. To me, its the perfect conditioned book. Well loved but also cared for. 

1 minute ago, mike devon said:

5.0 after a press..?

I've seen an 8.0 go to a 9.6 after cleaning and pressing, so I tend not to estimate how much that will improve a comic. I would assume that this would be at least a 5.0 after a proper clean/press, though.

13 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've seen an 8.0 go to a 9.6 after cleaning and pressing, so I tend not to estimate how much that will improve a comic. I would assume that this would be at least a 5.0 after a proper clean/press, though.

Cheers.  Looking again I'm wondering if there might be some retouching on the Spidey logo.  Could be just wear.  I haven't got it yet so can't properly check it.  No one on this thread has raised it as retouching so likely just wear.  I think if it was retouching they'd have done more to the 'A' of 'Man'..?

4 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers.  Looking again I'm wondering if there might be some retouching on the Spidey logo.  Could be just wear.  I haven't got it yet so can't properly check it.  No one on this thread has raised it as retouching so likely just wear.  I think if it was retouching they'd have done more to the 'A' of 'Man'..?

I don't see any color touch indicators.

34 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't see any color touch indicators.

Cheers I hope thats the case.  How can you tell from those pics..?  I never noticed before I bought it.  I wasn't sure but I'm not very experienced at spotting it on photos.  In the hand I can easily see it.

8 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers I hope thats the case.  How can you tell from those pics..?  I never noticed before I bought it.  I wasn't sure but I'm not very experienced at spotting it on photos.  In the hand I can easily see it.

I can't definitively tell. There are simply no obvious tells from the pictures.

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't definitively tell. There are simply no obvious tells from the pictures.

Cheers again.  Can you describe a bit what the tells would look like..?  I'm buying a few books and online I can't really spot it unless its horrendously badly done.

At least if you use Ebay you can return items but its still a giant pain especially when buying transatlantic.

Edited by mike devon
doh

6 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers again.  Can you describe a bit what the tells would look like..?  I'm buying a few books and online I can't really spot it unless its horrendously badly done.

At least if you use Ebay you can return items but its still a giant pain especially when buying transatlantic.

Color quality/hue inconsistencies, no white 'cracks' (or creases without color break in older books), etc.

You can always ask for interior cover images. Bleed-thru would be obvious.