• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 14

72 posts in this topic

The heavy edge-wear to the spine makes it tough from the angles pictured to accurately grade. There appears to be heavy stress at the top staple.

Just sort of "expecting" the defects with heavy edge wear (while not necessarily being able to see it as you would looking straight on at the spine), I'd estimate this is in the VG range.

A press/clean would help, but there's too much color break along the spine for this to move up meaningfully. I'd think the ceiling is in the VG/FN / FN- range.

3 minutes ago, TSwift25 said:

The heavy edge-wear to the spine makes it tough from the angles pictured to accurately grade. There appears to be heavy stress at the top staple.

Just sort of "expecting" the defects with heavy edge wear (while not necessarily being able to see it as you would looking straight on at the spine), I'd estimate this is in the VG range.

A press/clean would help, but there's too much color break along the spine for this to move up meaningfully. I'd think the ceiling is in the VG/FN / FN- range.

Cheers - yeah seems to be coming out around a 5.0 once pressed etc.  Do you think pro tidy of the spine with conservators adhesive would improve or spoil it..?  Just here and there if there are any tiny loose bits..?

Also does small neat name written inside affect it..?  I wouldn't think so on this lowish grade..?

4 hours ago, mike devon said:

Cheers - yeah seems to be coming out around a 5.0 once pressed etc.  Do you think pro tidy of the spine with conservators adhesive would improve or spoil it..?  Just here and there if there are any tiny loose bits..?

Also does small neat name written inside affect it..?  I wouldn't think so on this lowish grade..?

Written name wouldn't. It'd be consistent with the grade. I wouldn't conserve this. Looks like it's all attached, just worn. It presents nicely for the technical grade, IMO.

11 minutes ago, TSwift25 said:

Written name wouldn't. It'd be consistent with the grade. I wouldn't conserve this. Looks like it's all attached, just worn. It presents nicely for the technical grade, IMO.

Cheers.  How would you grade it..?  4.5 and 5 after a clean and press..?  Scrape up to 5.5..?

On 2/12/2020 at 7:54 AM, mike devon said:

Cheers.  Looking again I'm wondering if there might be some retouching on the Spidey logo.  Could be just wear.  I haven't got it yet so can't properly check it.  No one on this thread has raised it as retouching so likely just wear.  I think if it was retouching they'd have done more to the 'A' of 'Man'..?

It's often pretty tough to look at a photo or scan and determine whether there's a small amount of amateur or professional color touch on a book. This is one of the reasons I purchase certified books; at least someone else has looked it over and (hopefully) arrived at the right conclusion.

From what I can tell, there's no obvious sign of color touch going on here. But with a book this old and this valuable, you never know. And I think a 4.5 or 5.0 is a reasonable grade...  

26 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It's often pretty tough to look at a photo or scan and determine whether there's a small amount of amateur or professional color touch on a book. This is one of the reasons I purchase certified books; at least someone else has looked it over and (hopefully) arrived at the right conclusion.

From what I can tell, there's no obvious sign of color touch going on here. But with a book this old and this valuable, you never know. And I think a 4.5 or 5.0 is a reasonable grade...  

Cheers.  Well its ebay so if it has been retouched back it goes - or else a hefty part refund.  Yeah its definitely better than a 4.0.  This is a good example of a mid grade that I think will look quite smart when pressed. Most of the wear is pretty hidden on the spine.

8 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers.  Well its ebay so if it has been retouched back it goes - or else a hefty part refund.  Yeah its definitely better than a 4.0.  This is a good example of a mid grade that I think will look quite smart when pressed. Most of the wear is pretty hidden on the spine.

Finding nice unslabbed and unrestored Silver Age keys for a reasonable price can be challenging these days. I think you've been doing pretty well lately. Good luck with this one... 

13 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Finding nice unslabbed and unrestored Silver Age keys for a reasonable price can be challenging these days. I think you've been doing pretty well lately. Good luck with this one... 

Cheers LD.  I'm iffy about slabbing - I've seen what I think are big variations on grades.  Some really smart looking books getting 5.0s etc.  If I sell I'd offer returns if not happy but then you yourself are exposed to unscrupulous people - they could deliberately damage your book then return it.  Buyer always win on Ebay.

2 hours ago, mike devon said:

Cheers folks.  And really would it hurt it if I do a little tidy on the spine with conservators glue..?  I think there might be a couple of places where there are little breaks that are sticking up that could be pushed back down..?

That would make no sense, as it would hurt the book's value. Compare the values of blue label copies versus purple label copies in the same grade. Restored books are frowned upon in the market, particularly for a silver age book where lots of copies are readily available at any time.

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

That would make no sense, as it would hurt the book's value. Compare the values of blue label copies versus purple label copies in the same grade. Restored books are frowned upon in the market, particularly for a silver age book where lots of copies are readily available at any time.

Yeah but I find it a bit perplexing that what is really conservation work will get lumped into the same bracket as a book thats got tape all over it + marker 'retouching'.  PLOD but completely different ethos\effect.

Without seeing the spine clearer I would say 5.0 but it could well be as low as a 4.0.

My biggest reservation is that it may have been trimmed. The leading edge doesn't look straight at all. From the stalactites upward there's a definite curving inwards.

Edited by Harry Lime

5 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Without seeing the spine clearer I would say 5.0 but it could well be as low as a 4.0.

My biggest reservation is that it may have been trimmed. The leading edge doesn't look straight at all. From the stalactites upward there's a definite curving inwards.

I think that curve is just the way its lying + camera distortion.

25 minutes ago, mike devon said:

I think that curve is just the way its lying + camera distortion.

The spine looks straight enough. (shrug)

I wouldn't risk it. There's plenty more Goblins in the sea (where they would get a max of 2.0 for water damage).

4 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

The spine looks straight enough. (shrug)

I wouldn't risk it. There's plenty more Goblins in the sea (where they would get a max of 2.0 for water damage).

Its definitely lens distortion - on this one the spine looks curved.

Screenshot 2020-02-14 at 13.13.47.jpg