• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 14

72 posts in this topic

Just now, Harry Lime said:

Wow, that's bad. Use a scanner! :sumo:

They aren't my pics Harry I just bought it.  They are the sellers pics.

This in fact has a page missing.  Its an ad page  - that's why I was asking about it.  I have to decide how to deal with it.  As the staples are both still on the other half of the wrap I might see about marrying the page - it would have to be glued on using conservator techniques.

I know you consider yourself a professional when it comes to paper.  None of the techniques I have seen you mention are favorable ones for comics.  That includes the pressing thread you started.  Maybe you should start asking instead of telling.  :preach:

7 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Automatic 0.5 PR (Poor).  Two plus pages of totally unnecessary discussion.  :facepalm:

434895368_AmazingSp21-05.thumb.jpg.5296821f0ee8a77f11ec54ee07864b6c.jpg

No - I wanted to see what people's opinion was of the general condition without muddying the water.  There are very differing opinions about missing pieces.

13 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I know you consider yourself a professional when it comes to paper.  None of the techniques I have seen you mention are favorable ones for comics.  That includes the pressing thread you started.  Maybe you should start asking instead of telling.  :preach:

You mean the tread offering to press any tatty single wraps - for fun really.

Pressing paper by hydrating is a conservators technique.  I think 'gluing' parts back using proper techniques is unacceptable to some but not others..?

Edited by mike devon

39 minutes ago, mike devon said:

They aren't my pics Harry I just bought it.  They are the sellers pics.

This in fact has a page missing.  Its an ad page  - that's why I was asking about it.  I have to decide how to deal with it.  As the staples are both still on the other half of the wrap I might see about marrying the page - it would have to be glued on using conservator techniques.

Was the missing page disclosed?

9 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Was the missing page disclosed?

Hi yeah.  It was on Ebay for a large sum and I had a chat with the guy and got 30% off.  I got it for the same amount as some of the 1.0 FAIR ones that look as though they've been through a shredder.  I know a lot of folk wouldn't have touched it but for a complete one in similar condition it would be like $1500-$1700. Amazingly the really rough 1.0s do sell - I bet a lot do so pages can be nicked out of them.

Edited by mike devon

5 hours ago, mike devon said:

Cheers folks.  And really would it hurt it if I do a little tidy on the spine with conservators glue..?  I think there might be a couple of places where there are little breaks that are sticking up that could be pushed back down..?

:whatthe:

58 minutes ago, mike devon said:

I think 'gluing' parts back using proper techniques is unacceptable to some but not others..?

Mike, I would strongly advise you get a GPA subscription if you don't have one already. With respect, before you consider any more 'techniques', it is worth studying carefully the values for Universal copies vs Restored or Married copies. It may clear up some confusion as to what the market thinks of restoring... or 'tidying'... or marrying pages... of silver age books.

28 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Mike, I would strongly advise you get a GPA subscription if you don't have one already. With respect, before you consider any more 'techniques', it is worth studying carefully the values for Universal copies vs Restored or Married copies. It may clear up some confusion as to what the market thinks of restoring... or 'tidying'... or marrying pages... of silver age books.

Sure.  What I'm trying to do is get people's opinions on here really.  Like PLODs ('death') - people on here seem to hate them but they do sell for quite high prices.

That's why I'm asking a lot of questions or suggesting things.  

I've got the full CGC grading guide and for me I've found that broadly people on here seem to be a bit more strict on grades than the guide.  I guess its good to be cautious when grading.

7 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:
5 hours ago, zzutak said:

Automatic 0.5 PR (Poor).  Two plus pages of totally unnecessary discussion.  :facepalm:

434895368_AmazingSp21-05.thumb.jpg.5296821f0ee8a77f11ec54ee07864b6c.jpg

Right! What a :censored: waste smh

Tough crowd. Look on the bright side: If we agree that the book is an automatic .5, the danger that it was overgraded by the ebay seller is now firmly off the table.  :banana:

29 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Tough crowd. Look on the bright side: If we agree that the book is an automatic .5, the danger that it was overgraded by the ebay seller is now firmly off the table.  :banana:

Heh - to repeat though I wanted people's opinion of the general wear of the book aside from the missing page.  I didn't want to distract and get into a debate about marrying etc on this thread.

It hasn't been a waste of time at all as I got a good idea of the general opinion of the cover esp + the overall condition.  I now know its prob about a 5 so I can decide whether its worth trying a marry.  So its been really helpful to me.

Edited by mike devon