• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic's Worth ???
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2020 at 10:57 AM, marvelmaniac said:

First let me say, I have no issues with MCS, I used to buy from them years ago and I was very happy with the books and service, they are a business looking to make money so they can ask any price for any item, however, saying that their current prices are = to FMV...???, (If what books are actually selling for = FMV) We can agree to disagree on this although I have what I consider to be Black and White proof.

My Son is selling his books, I took the keys, graded them and priced them. ( about 300 books, All Raw)

The list of books for sale that I made for us has two prices, eBay sold auction prices (same grade as our books, I scan their pics and judge the grade for myself, using the most current auction prices, a minimum of 5 bidders, being sure there was no bidding war, etc) and what online comic shops are asking for the same books in the same grade, using prices from MCS (not their consignment books which IMO are Stupidly Ridiculous) and Metropolis, MCS is not even close on most, $200 + difference on ASM 300 VF+ 7.5.

My initial asking price is the average of the MCS/Metropolis price and I usually have a lot of wiggle room since on most listings MCS is 50% - 100% higher than eBay sold auction prices.  :preach:   2c

Either way, the OP has been given a few choices as to how to determine the value of his books, eBay, Overstreet, MCS and other online comic stores, his LCS, etc, hopefully his question has been answered to his satisfaction.

It also bears mentioning that a lot of the purchases from the MCS regular inventory are made using trade credit (since you can't use it on auction/consignment items), so it stands to reason that their prices would be above FMV to some extent. The amount received for trading books in to them (that are often nearly impossible to sell elsewhere) is usually significantly more than their cash buying price, and can add up very quickly; so taking advantage of this and then using it to purchase keys directly from them puts you at a significant advantage over someone paying cash for the same item. Being able to trade 100 or so $3-$4 books collecting dust in a long box for a properly graded ASM 300 isn't something I can do anywhere other than MCS.  I think that their prices are usually very fair, given that dynamic. 

On 2/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, mycomicshop said:

Some additional info.

Amazing Spider-Man 300
GPA average for CGC 7.5 is around $215-230

Recent sales of consignments:
CGC 9.6 $640 sold after 20 days
CGC 9.4 $475 sold after 20 days
CGC 9.2 $415 sold after 9 months
CGC 9.0 $335 sold after 16 days
raw 8.5 $350 sold after 1 day
raw 7.5 $246 sold same day listed
raw 7.5 $246 sold same day listed
raw 7.0 $233 sold same day listed
raw 6.5 $225 sold same day listed
CGC 5.0 $175 sold after 5 days
raw 4.0 with minor color touch $189 sold after 7 months

Recent sales of our own inventory:
CGC 9.6 $725 sold after 18 days
CGC 9.4 $460 sold after 1 month
CGC 9.4 $460 sold after 12 days
CGC 8.5 $340 sold after 4 days
raw 7.5 $315 sold after 3 days
CGC 7.5 $245 sold after 5 days
raw 6.0 $216 sold after 15 days

Is there a way -- or will there be a way -- for users to retrieve Sold item data from MCS?

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

Is there a way -- or will there be a way -- for users to retrieve Sold item data from MCS?

Not currently, but there will be. No specific ETA.

The closest to that that you can do currently is you can search our new in stock page. You'll see items listed within the past 6 months, and if they sold they're colored red and you'll see what they sold for. Here's an example using the new in stock page to see issues with "Eternals" in the title priced $20 or more:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/restocked?q=eternals&minprc=20

On 2/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, Gravin said:

At some point someone will respond: "It is worth what someone will pay for it."

Which is true...but not terribly helpful

The following sites are solid starting points that you can check for free

comicbookrealm.com

comicspriceguide.com

EBAY sold listings

Will check those sites out,thanks

On 2/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, mycomicshop said:

Not currently, but there will be. No specific ETA.

The closest to that that you can do currently is you can search our new in stock page. You'll see items listed within the past 6 months, and if they sold they're colored red and you'll see what they sold for. Here's an example using the new in stock page to see issues with "Eternals" in the title priced $20 or more:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/restocked?q=eternals&minprc=20

Will check that out,thanks...