• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 9.8 Allentown Pedigree
3 3

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Seeing as how the Heritage Cap 1 9.4 San Francisco sold for 915K at auction, 2 Mil for the 9.8 doesn't sound like a bad offer.

It’s certainly a starting point to talk but I’d want a wee bit more. Lots of upside on a 9.8 of this book...

On 2/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, Timely said:

I saw the book in person back in the 90's.  It is very nice. That said, the owner who passed away passed on a multi-million dollar offer on it years back.  His children probably don't want to sell it either.

They don’t. I just texted Rosie to confirm

57 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Talked to the owners. It’s not for sale. 
but if anyone needs to contact them, it’s comic heaven and their contact info is in the ospg

I have to think that particular book would be one of the last comics they would sell from John's collection, not the first.

5 hours ago, Tim Frommelt said:

I had heard of the passing of the owner of the book. This is why I am inquiring about the contact info. I am SURE we can come together on a price. 2+ Million or more will not be an issue.

2 million wont cut it..he turned down over 1+ million years and years ago, when I spoke to him....if you lucky lowest price would be 3 Mil in a fire sale...probably 3.5 but i think it worth every penny of 4-5 million in that unique condition

. Good Luck

Edited by Mmehdy

17 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

2 million wont cut it..he turned down over 1+ million years and years ago, when I spoke to him....if you lucky lowest price would be 3 Mil in a fire sale...probably 3.5 but i think it worth every penny of 4-5 million in that unique condition

. Good Luck

It is all about what potential buyers would be willing to pay. 1 of 2 9.4s (no 9.6) sold last year for 915K, I doubt it would hit those levels at auction. Maybe in 10 yrs, not today.

Edited by Gotham Kid

12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

It is all about what potential buyers would be willing to pay. When 1 of 2 9.4s (no 9.6) sold last year for 915K, I doubt it would hit those levels at auction. Maybe in 10 yrs, not today.

18 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

. Good Luck

Some boardies were already claiming it as a 2 mill book all the way back in 2015 so who really knows until it is available which is not likely soon. It’s a pretty book for sure and if you don’t need the money  I’d easily pass on 2-3 million $$$ offers for it. It’s not likely to go down in value until the zombie apocalypse hits.

4990B8F1-61DA-4B6B-98CB-87A52DEFA0BB.jpeg.8b869b1b1e889ace43d47f3bfb54ef6f.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

It is all about what potential buyers would be willing to pay. When 1 of 2 9.4s (no 9.6) sold last year for 915K, I doubt it would hit those levels at auction. Maybe in 10 yrs, not today.

I was there for that one! And I agree on your analysis. The bidding pool for a 9.8 is gonna be smaller than the bidding pool for a 9.4. And If 9.4 can’t crack $1 mil, it doesn’t bode well for the 9.8, IMO.  

but this is a level with which I am unfamiliar, so what do i know

8A4C376A-5CAD-4E5A-9A3C-0A0463E50AE0.jpeg

16209C01-0BAC-4E21-B4F5-B7B7CAB4C4FE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

depends on whether or not it has a CVA sticker attached:baiting:

kidding. Are you talking about the Heritage 5.0?

I remember almost paying Leroy’s 30k asking for his 5.0 at c2e2 some 7+ years ago 

17 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Don't see a 5.0 on Heritage. I see a 5.0 in my sig line.

Clink, not heritage. Sorry. We are back to multiple auctions running at the same time and my head is starting to explode. 

but wait, I’m a bit slow at the moment. Are you talking about your flag moniker?

3 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I was there for that one! And I agree on your analysis. The bidding pool for a 9.8 is gonna be smaller than the bidding pool for a 9.4. And If 9.4 can’t crack $1 mil, it doesn’t bode well for the 9.8, IMO.  

8A4C376A-5CAD-4E5A-9A3C-0A0463E50AE0.jpeg

16209C01-0BAC-4E21-B4F5-B7B7CAB4C4FE.jpeg

I recall you mentioning you were there.

And I also recall you mentioning JV's kids were there too. Certainly to get a first hand grasp of what the 9.4 would sell for, and what potentially their copy would be worth.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Primetime said:

Sounds like a good price at the time considering a 3.0 sold for $30k in 2012. 

Might have been 10 years ago. Can’t remember. It wasn’t a “good” price at the time, but was a good looking copy 

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I recall you mentioning you were there.

And I also recall you mentioning JV's kids were there too. Certainly to get a first hand grasp of what the 9.4 would sell for, and what potentially their copy would be worth.

John went to almost all the heritage auctions. His kids just taking up mantle.