• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 9.8 Allentown Pedigree
3 3

114 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

Some boardies were already claiming it as a 2 mill book all the way back in 2015 so who really knows until it is available which is not likely soon. It’s a pretty book for sure and if you don’t need the money  I’d easily pass on 2-3 million $$$ offers for it. It’s not likely to go down in value until the zombie apocalypse hits.

4990B8F1-61DA-4B6B-98CB-87A52DEFA0BB.jpeg.8b869b1b1e889ace43d47f3bfb54ef6f.jpeg

Man, those colors are deep 

The Allentown Pedigree is so fascinating: Small in size, but boasting the best copies of some of  the most famous comic book issues around.

Books from the collection rarely come to market. I think there was one in the Jon Berk hoard (Our Flag Comics 2?) not noted as such on the CGC slab label, but listed as such in the auction listing.

You see a handful shared here on the Boards, but I wonder, is the bulk of the collection raw and in the hands of one low profile hoarder of the pedigree or scattered among different collectors (not knowing what they have) also raw and unaccounted for on the CGC census or C*CS slabbed books? 

Probably a question no one can answer, but if it can, its here on the CGC Boards. B|

Edited by sagii

3 hours ago, sagii said:

The Allentown Pedigree is so fascinating: Small in size, but boasting the best copies of some of  the most famous comic book issues around.

Books from the collection rarely come to market. I think there was one in the Jon Berk hoard (Our Flag Comics 2?) not noted as such on the CGC slab label, but listed as such in the auction listing.

You see a handful shared here on the Boards, but I wonder, is the bulk of the collection raw and in the hands of one low profile hoarder of the pedigree or scattered among different collectors (not knowing what they have) also raw and unaccounted for on the CGC census or C*CS slabbed books? 

Probably a question no one can answer, but if it can, its here on the CGC Boards. B|

I can offer only this small bit of information.  About 12 years ago when the financial collapse was in progress, I was seriously considering acquiring one of the Allentown books for my collection.  I figured that with only 135 books in the pedigree, odds were that finding copies that weren't locked down would grow harder and harder.  Metropolis had 3 or 4 books from the pedigree (none were big books) but were still outside how much I wanted to spend (I think the least expensive was $5000ish).  So, I passed but still wish I'd been able to nail one down.  

My guess is that the collection is scattered.  2c

5 hours ago, comicdonna said:

:eek:  I guess if I was spending millions, I would want to see the book in person.  

Pfft, that's so old school.

The only thing that matters is the CGC label (which, by the way, used to say "9.6").  

4 hours ago, Inaflash said:

Two horrible scans from the the most prominent comic book auction companies.

The scans aren't really from either company.  It's a joke based on the tendencies of both companies. :gossip:

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I can offer only this small bit of information.  About 12 years ago when the financial collapse was in progress, I was seriously considering acquiring one of the Allentown books for my collection.  I figured that with only 135 books in the pedigree, odds were that finding copies that weren't locked down would grow harder and harder.  Metropolis had 3 or 4 books from the pedigree (none were big books) but were still outside how much I wanted to spend (I think the least expensive was $5000ish).  So, I passed but still wish I'd been able to nail one down.  

My guess is that the collection is scattered.  2c

Appreciate the info! Some did pass through Metro over the years and back in the day when 5000ish was also out of the realm of what i would consider paying for a comic book, i believe they had the Allentown Tec 38 around that price. with only 135 books....... :cry: Hindsight , hindsight...

I agree, that most of the collection is most likely scattered. (thumbsu

On 2/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, Tim Frommelt said:

I would like the contact information to the owner of this book. I am seeking this information in hopes of purchasing it.

Thanks in advance. 

Mitch; @Mmehdy

Is this you here?  :baiting:

Are you finally coming out of the closet and officially making a run at the Cap 1 which you have acclaimed from your previous posts as being the top GA book to buy?  hm

If so, there's no shame in using your real board name instead of coming up with a brand new one in your pursuit of this book here.  lol

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Mitch; @Mmehdy

Is this you here?  :baiting:

Are you finally coming out of the closet and officially making a run at the Cap 1 which you have acclaimed from your previous posts as being the top GA book to buy?  hm

If so, there's no shame in using your real board name instead of coming up with a brand new one in your pursuit of this book here.  lol

not me...but it looks like some type of "investor" flipper...my gut feeling

On 2/13/2020 at 2:06 PM, Tim Frommelt said:

I had heard of the passing of the owner of the book. This is why I am inquiring about the contact info. I am SURE we can come together on a price. 2+ Million or more will not be an issue.

I would assume that you must be referring to John's so-called "lemonade" copy which he was finally able to squeeze to fit into a CGC 9.8 slab:  lol

On 5/24/2019 at 5:21 AM, Timely said:

So here's the deal with the Denver & Allentown copies of Cap #1.

John Verzyl owned the Denver copy for decades.  When the Allentown copy became available he went to see it.  It was far nicer than the Denver, so John being John & wanting the best copy, he took the plunge. The Mile High copy had been restored so he had no interest in it.

He felt the Denver was an 8.5 or possibly a 9.0.  He was over the moon when it graded out a 9.0 & he sold it to help cover the cost of the Allentown purchase.  It was then pressed to a 9.2.  It was then regraded a 3rd time as a 9.4 (not sure if it was pressed again). John was upset about this for 2 reasons.

1st, it's obviously worth way more as a 9.2 or 9.4 than it was as a 9.0 when he sold it.

2nd, he felt the Allentown was FAR superior to the Denver, but the Denver was now a 9.4 & his Allentown a 9.6. 

But, John being John, took these lemons & made lemonade.  He went to cgc and argued his case explaining how superior the Allentown was.  It was then regraded a 9.8.

That's the story John told me.

As one board member had noted at the time, when it comes to the top copies of Cap 1, it seems to be all about "relative" grading, as opposed to objective grading.  hm

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Appreciate the info! Some did pass through Metro over the years and back in the day when 5000ish was also out of the realm of what i would consider paying for a comic book, i believe they had the Allentown Tec 38 around that price. with only 135 books....... :cry: Hindsight , hindsight...

Since Fishler and Payette brought the collection to market, I would think all the Allentown books went through Metro at some point. It's interesting that at the time of it's last public sale just over a decade ago the Tec 38 dropped in value nearly $20K from it's prior sale (even though guide had gone up 33% in the interim). You can still see it on the HA archive, beautiful copy that might be a 9.8 if not for the dust shadows on the bc.  I had the Allentown Wonder #1 and #2 at one point and both were simply beautiful, the #1 had a spine split at the bottom to the first staple, but the #2 was at least a 9.4 I would think.

20 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

You can still see it on the HA archive, beautiful copy that might be a 9.8 if not for the dust shadows on the bc.

Indeed. Super nice copy.

Edited by Gotham Kid

5 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

It's interesting that at the time of it's last public sale just over a decade ago the Tec 38 dropped in value nearly $20K from it's prior sale (even though guide had gone up 33% in the interim). You can still see it on the HA archive, beautiful copy that might be a 9.8 if not for the dust shadows on the bc. 

I seem to recall the AT Tec 38 being sold on Heritage several times.  It actually seemed to be viewed as something of a toxic book at the time, when Robin-hate was running at its strongest.

Whoever won it (and I seem to recall it was public knowledge at the time, although I can't seem to remember who it was now) was smart. 

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Since Fishler and Payette brought the collection to market, I would think all the Allentown books went through Metro at some point. It's interesting that at the time of it's last public sale just over a decade ago the Tec 38 dropped in value nearly $20K from it's prior sale (even though guide had gone up 33% in the interim). You can still see it on the HA archive, beautiful copy that might be a 9.8 if not for the dust shadows on the bc.  I had the Allentown Wonder #1 and #2 at one point and both were simply beautiful, the #1 had a spine split at the bottom to the first staple, but the #2 was at least a 9.4 I would think.

Wow, can't believe you let that Allentown duo go, that #2 is killer.

Yes, as @tth2 pointed out, the gold collector anti Robin attitude may have at a time effected Tec 38 prices, even the Allentown. 

Funny when you think that Robin is still a high profile character to audiences of the Cartoon Network, being the leader of the Teen Titans in two long running and very popular variations of the show. The second still in production if I'm correct