• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 9.8 Allentown Pedigree
3 3

114 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Pardon my ignorance, but Eric Roberts, the actor?

No, Eric is the son of wall street investor George Roberts. He sold the first AF15 9.6 for 1.1 Mil

Yes, his father would be the "R" in KKR since he was one of the founders of this huge global investment company with billions in assets.  (thumbsu

I guess the original question is what does Eric himself do, or is his claim to fame tied only to being the son of his daddy?  hm  (shrug)

17 hours ago, sagii said:
17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, I believe the Metropolis #1 Catalogue which they had put out in the very early 90's had quite a few of the Allentown Fox books in there. (shrug)

Since I can't seem to find my copy of the catalogue, I think they were some of the earlier Wonderworld (and possibly Mystery Men) books and I believe they had them priced in the $1,000 to $1,500 or at something like 3X top of guide at the time.  Being the El Cheapo guy that I was, I went and passed on picking any of them up.  doh!

I actually went back to look at that catalog after yours and another post about the bulk of the collection having possibly passed through Metro at some point.

Wow, again, all I can say is hindsight. 

If you actually have this Metropolis #1 Catalog handy, can you flip to the last 2 pages where they had the non-#1 books listed and let us know what were the Allentown books listed in there?  I believe they included some of the early issues of the 2 big Fox runs, but the only book that I really remember off the top of my head now is the HG Larson copy of Wonderworld 3 which they had priced to a point that I did not want to pay, but would gladly nowadays.  doh!

17 hours ago, sagii said:
17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Even though I kept saying NO, he was somehow able to craftily convince me to take the WW 13 home with me and to pay for it afterwards if I ended up deciding to keep the book. 

Hope you are still the owner of the WE #13 :wishluck:

No, unfortunately not as I ended up figuring out that I would never be able to complete the early run of Wonderworld Comics with those gorgeous covers since the affordability window had already closed on me by that time.  As a result, I decided to toss it in with about a dozen other GA books when CGC first opened their doors to see what their grading system was like before giving it to Bill Hughes for consignment in their big Greg Manning Auction later that year.  The book ended up grading out as a CGC 9.6 NM+ copy (was and still is the highest graded copy for what it's worth) and sold for some ridiculous almost 8X top of Overstreet guide.  Of course, since this was the first really big coming out party for CGC graded books, needless to say, prices seem to reflect a lot of wild and crazy times with bidders seemingly high on something.  :screwy:

From my point of view, I would speculate that certified grading at that very early point in the game was most likely still being done along the old school standards of grading which had already been established and in place for years.  Especially since every single one of those books came back with grades between CGC 9.2 NM- to CGC 9.6 NM+, which I highly doubt would happen in today's much more "refined and developed" grading system.  hm  :p

Edited by lou_fine

@lou_fine Amazing story! Well at least you did own it for a while, that's notable on it's own. 

And certainly,  will post the Metro catalog page tonight, if someone else doesn't do it first (out and about on the Holiday at the moment, but still checking Boards posts in between :shy: )

Edited by sagii

57 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Strawman owns it now.

I mentioned the Our Flag #2, I believe you won that one from the Berk auction if memory serves me correctly. Any reason CGC didn't note its provenance on the slab?

1 hour ago, sagii said:

I mentioned the Our Flag #2, I believe you won that one from the Berk auction if memory serves me correctly. Any reason CGC didn't note its provenance on the slab?

I didn't realize it was an Allentown...

ourflag2.jpg

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

@MrBedrock Can we assume this will show up again soon here in a brand new beautiful pedigree label slab? hm

20200217_190102.jpg

Is there any other corroboration? I know it sounds far-fetched, but Comic Connect could have made a mistake.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Is there any other corroboration? I know it sounds far-fetched, but Comic Connect could have made a mistake.

..they may have, but with Fishler involved  (and his involvement with the pedigree) I have confidence he'd know. 

I'm guessing CGC missed it when slabbing hm

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Unbeliever! >:(

The original list did include one Our Flag, issue #2, listed as vf/nm.  Berk did own a few other Allentowns, presumably from Metropolis so its certainly plausible.

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

The star stamp on the right hand side may be a clue.  I've seen a similar stamp on other books, but never on an Allentown.

I have not seen a star on an Allentown copy.  When you have seen the star, are the books high grade?

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I have not seen a star on an Allentown copy.  When you have seen the star, are the books high grade?

There is a star stamped on the Our Flag 2.