• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 9.8 Allentown Pedigree
3 3

114 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, sagii said:

For @lou_fine from the 1997 Metro catalog.

20200217_230119.jpg

20200217_230344.jpg

Greatly appreciate you taking the time to post this picture of the catalog here.  (thumbsu

Unfortunately, it is not the right catalog as this one here is from 1997, whereas the one I was referring to came out in the very early 90's.

Interesting to note that they still had the Allentown Copy of Wonderworld 14 listed at $2,150 after picking it up from Harley who had something like only a $1,100 price tag on the book when I first saw it down in Seattle.  hm

There doesn't seem to be an Allentown thread in the Golden Age forum....until now!

The Allentown thread...

Edited by MrBedrock

On 2/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 2/16/2020 at 8:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if it means much since these are only raw grades, although it should be noted that Payette always had a reputation for being a relatively strict grader. :applause:

From the Master Allentown Collection List, Payette's raw grades for the Detective #26 to #38 were as follows:

Detective 28 - VF;  CGC 9.0

Detective 29 - NM        CGC grade of NM+ 9.6;

Detective 34 - VF;  CGC 9.2

Detective 38 - VF     CGC grade of NM 9.4

after a little more digging I found out Eric Roberts owned/owns :

Detective Comics 28 9.0 Allentown

Detective Comics 29 9.6 Allentown

Detective Comics 34 9.2 Allentown

Well, from looking at the CGC grades for these 4 Allentown Detective books along with some other Allentown Fox books which I have seen, it would seem to indicate that Payette's reputation for being a strict grader has certainly stood the test of time.  :applause:

It actually makes me wonder what kind of grades that his uber HG copies which he had graded out as NM/M copies would be if they ever got slabbed.  It appears that there were a total of only 9 books that he gave a raw grade of NM/M to, with only a small handful of them graded to this point in time as follows:

1)  Batman #6 - NM/M    CGC grade of NM+ 9.6;

2)  Blue Ribbon #7 - NM/M;

3)  Captain America #1 - NM/M   Initial CGC grade of NM+ 9.6 and then regraded up to a CGC grade of NM/M 9.8;

4)  Mystery Men #1 - NM/M   CGC grade of VF/NM 9.2; (as corrected by RHG (thumbsu)

5)  Mystery Men #2 - NM/M;

6)  Nickel Comics #2 - NM/M;

7)  Nickel Comics #3 - NM/M   CGC grade of NM+ 9.6;

8)  Nickel Comics #4 - NM/M; and

9)  Special Edition #1 - NM/M   CGC grade of NM/M 9.8.

So, except for the Mystery Men 1, it looks like Payette's grades have held up pretty well so far in todays certification age.  If anybody knows the certified grades for any of the other NM/M raw copies which doesn't have a CGC attached to them, it would be good to know and appended to the list here.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/16/2020 at 5:06 PM, sagii said:

Hope you are still the owner of the WE #13 :wishluck:

21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
On 2/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, sagii said:

@lou_fine Amazing story! Well at least you did own it for a while, that's notable on it's own. 

Strawman owns it now.

Hey Richard;

Didn't realize you had sold the book, but definite congrats on the sale and also to Strawman for picking it up.  :applause: :applause:

Especially since it seems that you have been the longest holder of this book here, with the sole exception of the original owner.  Hopefully, it ended up selling for more that what it sold for when Manning auctioned it off for me some 20 long years ago. :wishluck:    Kudos to you for also being patient and smart enough to pick it up at a lower price point after the initial excitement and looney bin prices for slabbed books had died back down.  (thumbsu

On 2/14/2020 at 5:12 PM, sagii said:

You see a handful shared here on the Boards, but I wonder, is the bulk of the collection raw and in the hands of one low profile hoarder of the pedigree or scattered among different collectors (not knowing what they have) also raw and unaccounted for on the CGC census or C*CS slabbed books? 

Probably a question no one can answer, but if it can, its here on the CGC Boards. B|

On 2/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, Randall Dowling said:

My guess is that the collection is scattered.  2c

Well, lookie, lookie..........we might just get some answers to your question here as Richard just startted this Allentown thread here:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;

Didn't realize you had sold the book, but definite congrats on the sale and also to Strawman for picking it up.  :applause: :applause:

Especially since it seems that you have been the longest holder of this book here, with the sole exception of the original owner.  Hopefully, it ended up selling for more that what it sold for when Manning auctioned it off for me some 20 long years ago. :wishluck:    Kudos to you for also being patient and smart enough to pick it up at a lower price point after the initial excitement and looney bin prices for slabbed books had died back down.  (thumbsu

Billy and I swap books back and forth. He loves the Fox books and also wanted a cool Allentown for his type set. Two birds with one stone. And it is still "in the family", so all is good.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, lookie, lookie..........we might just get some answers to your question here as Richard just startted this Allentown thread here:  :applause:

Super!

I've derailed this Thread long enough :shy:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from looking at the CGC grades for these 4 Allentown Detective books along with some other Allentown Fox books which I have seen, it would seem to indicate that Payette's reputation for being a strict grader has certainly stood the test of time.  :applause:

It actually makes me wonder what kind of grades that his uber HG copies which he had graded out as NM/M copies would be if they ever got slabbed.  It appears that there were a total of only 9 books that he gave a raw grade of NM/M to, with only a small handful of them graded to this point in time as follows:

1)  Batman #6 - NM/M    CGC grade of NM+ 9.6;

2)  Blue Ribbon #7 - NM/M;

3)  Captain America #1 - NM/M   Initial CGC grade of NM+ 9.6 and then regraded up to a CGC grade of NM/M 9.8;

4)  Mystery Men #1 - NM/M   CGC grade of VF/NM 9.0;

5)  Mystery Men #2 - NM/M;

6)  Nickel Comics #2 - NM/M;

7)  Nickel Comics #3 - NM/M   CGC grade of NM+ 9.6;

8)  Nickel Comics #4 - NM/M; and

9)  Special Edition #1 - NM/M   CGC grade of NM/M 9.8.

So, except for the Mystery Men 1, it looks like Payette's grades have held up pretty well so far in todays certification age.  If anybody knows the certified grades for any of the other NM/M raw copies which doesn't have a CGC attached to them, it would be good to know and appended to the list here.  (thumbsu

Lou, the Allentown Mystery Men 1 is a CGC 9.2.  As I recall, Straw Man owns it.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Now you've got that stupid Billy Joel song in my head. :mad:

Bay-be shark, do do do do do do do

17 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I was pretty sure I’d seen the star stamp on other Allentown books so I checked to verify

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/gallerydetail.php?item=137558

And upon further searching-

http://www.comicpedigrees.com/gallerydetail.php?item=135117

Great research!